Fried bread

myjg33, Nov 18, 6:49am
anyone have a recipe for fried bread,the deep fried type.ive tried making them before but they end up like bricks.i want them puffed up and golden,thanks.

noonesgirl, Nov 18, 6:55am
Check out l/h mesage board. All there. Key in fried bread. In date posted - any time.

darkestangel1, Nov 16, 7:48pm
Yes I am also interested - can anyone please help!

kuaka, Nov 16, 8:06pm
I had fried bread for the very first time in NZ a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that it was really just like doughnuts without the sugar.Whenever I've had fried bread in the UK, it is just that.A slice of ordinary bread, fried in the frying pan, in either oil, lard or dripping.Totally different.

purplegoanna, Nov 16, 8:15pm
apparantly elfin! scone dough makes good fry bread.

gilligee, Nov 16, 8:18pm
Yuck!

effcee1, Nov 17, 2:05am
I have posted this on here before but have tried a few and this one i find the best . It was one my grandmother from England used to make.
Simply dunk the bread both sides in milk before putting into a hot frypan that has a bit of dripping in, dont leave the bread soak in the milk.Hope you like it.

crystalmoon, Nov 17, 2:15am
Try this,quick Baking Powder Fry Bread,You can also make yeast fry bread,but takes alot longer,this is the basic one we make all the time.
Fry Bread
2 c flour,3-4 tsp baking powder,2 Tbsp sugar 1/2 tsp salt.Mix together in large bowl and add about 1-1 1/2 c warm water till a soft dough,try not to make too wet and try not to over mix.knead lightly on floured bench till smooth.Knead out to a flat round about 2 cm thick.cut into strips about 3 cm across and cut each strip into portions.Its not an exact measurement more something you get the feel for.it can be still a bit wet when you cut it for frying,try it in small batch's like this till you get it right.Fry in hot oil till puffed up and fli[p over to cook other side drain on absorbent paper,serve either warm or cold.practice makes perfect,goodluck.

rainrain1, Nov 17, 4:35am
Well I'm a kiwi gal, and that's the best way, slice of bread, nothing added, straight into the pan.but only once in a blue moon mind you

nzhel, Nov 17, 5:59am
I usually do it with egg and milk whisked together and seasoned with a little salt and pepper. I like it best fried in butter - but as all that fat ain't good - I only do it about twice a year!

sultana0, Nov 17, 8:53am
If you're gonna make and eat fry bread. USE DRIPPING, it makes them crispier on the outside. (Either eyether, potato potarto) Its a treat so who cares about the fat content. Plaster on the butter and drizzle with golden syrup. Its not the same when cooked in oil. If you want a slightly dessert taste try adding a mashed banana to the final mix, serve with icecream and whipped cream.

kuaka, Nov 17, 8:54am
In other words, French toast!

pheebs1, Nov 18, 1:58am
7gram yeast sachet
4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1cupwater& 1 cup hot milk-together so as to make it blood temp
add the yeast and sugar to the milk leave 15mins to froth
add to flour mix and knead for 10mins
rest it and prove in a warm place covered for 1hour

roll to 1.5 to 2cm thick, cut into peices shallow fry in hot oil turn quickly
will puff up and be golden in secs if not mins
yum!

pheebs1, Nov 18, 1:59am
i must admit to being fairly haphazard re yeast amount often i put in nearly a tbsp but the recipe was given to me as above, i just really like to make sure mine rises!

buzzy110, Nov 18, 2:19am
I'm getting the gist that a lot of posters have very different ideas about what it is you are actually talking about here so I'll list the possibilities and you can point out what it is you are trying to learn about.

1. Bread, already baked, sliced and deep fried
2. Bread dough deep fried. These are more commonly known as doughnuts/donuts and are different from oven baked. The dough for doughnuts/donuts may differ from bread dough.
3. Scone dough fried, instead of baked.

Number 3 was what my mother used to call fried bread. You will find it as a staple on any marae in NZ and I don't know a single maori who does not call this fried bread.The trick with fried scone dough (and it does not have to be deep fried btw, pan frying works just as well) is to learn how to make a decent baked scone. Master that and the fried scone dough is a doddle.

I have never learned the art of scone making so have never cooked "fried bread".

chrissie91, Nov 18, 5:24am
Mother used to fry bacon and tomatoes, then pop slices of bread in the dripping and tomato juices and fry both sides. So yummy. Also, Mother used to make the best fried scones,, yes in dripping, while piping hot, we split them in half and put golden syrup on them. Us girls still talk about mum's fried scones. Not healthy! I know.

kenny92, Nov 19, 12:07pm
I'm English and fried bread was a Sunday breakfast treat. My father would cut a slice of bread into a house shape with two windows and a door then fry them in dripping. They were delicious! Haven't had them for over 30 years though. The main thing is that the bread is fried in dripping.

rainrain1, Nov 19, 6:48pm
Fried bread houses.love it!:-)

craftylady1, Nov 19, 7:03pm
my dad used to make it.along with black pudding.yum yum. The fried bread always tasted best with marmalade on it.even though i dont like marmalade

nzhel, Nov 19, 11:55pm
Could be.

pheebs1, Nov 25, 12:59am
up north the only fried bread ive ever eaten was the yeast kind definately not fries scones
tho they are yummy also alison host does a nice fried scone recipe
but i wouldnt call that fried bread

nfh1, Nov 25, 5:21am
Yes - that is what Fried Bread means to me.

poppy62, Nov 25, 5:52am
Yum - fried bread and a runny egg!Mmmmm - bad bad girl!

kenny92, Nov 25, 11:38am
Black pudding! I grew up with that too and loved it. Had it again in England last year but just couldn't stomach it!