Xmas Cake with 4 ingredients?????

Page 1 / 2
chrisynz, Nov 1, 9:24am
lost my recipe, but knows it only has a few ingredients..iemixed fruit, orangejuice..but cant remember whatelse...This is for a guy who is on a very limited income who wants to make some forhis family..

petal1955, Nov 1, 9:28am
GOLF CAKE
1 Kg mixed dried fruit
2 cups orange juice
2 cups self-raising flour
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
I added a handful of chopped dried apricots and some nuts
Place fruit in a bowl and pour over orange juice. Leave overnight. Stir in flour and cinnamon and pour into a baking paper-lined 23cm cake tin. Bake at 180C for one hour 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 160C and bake a further 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in tin for 15 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack.

245sam, Nov 1, 9:31am
This one??from Trademecooks.....

"3 Ingredient Fruit Cake
has no butter. 800gms mixed fruit, pour over 2 cups orange juice and soak for 2-3 hours...or more, then add 2 cups S.R.Flour, mix well and bake 1 1/2 hours in 140o oven. 20cm tin. Keeps well and is a lovely fruit cake. posted by worrit":-))

calista, Nov 1, 6:46pm
Now *that* sounds like my kind of baking!

uli, Nov 1, 9:55pm
Make sure that you bake it not too long before you want to eat it - everybody who baked it reported that because it has no fat in it it will go dry very quickly!

kay141, Nov 1, 10:50pm
I made this a while ago. I put half in the freezer, thawed beautifully.I found it more fruit than cake and that meant it kept very well, even with only me eating it. I also added chopped dark chocolate. Oh so good, I had to be strong and ration it.

kallista, May 7, 11:03am
If I decide to give this a go - how long does it keep!

uli, Nov 1, 4:45am
Bump for the Xmas cake bakers.

worrit, Nov 1, 5:57am
I have made the 4 Ingredient Fruit cake so many times and find it keeps well and doesn't dry out, Like kay141,I have to ration it, its so good !

praxis2, Nov 1, 8:05am
xmas cake
1kg Mixed fruit
600mls Iced coffee
1 1/2 cups self raising flour or 2 cups, i normally use two cups.
method:
Soak mixed fruit in iced coffee over night. Next day, mix in the self raising flour and mix well. Bake in a large greased tin. Approx 180 c or until cooked. Mine normally takes a bit longer to cook.

pheebs1, Nov 1, 8:13am
ooh chocolatenow thats a good idea

chrisynz, Nov 1, 9:24am
lost my recipe, but knows it only has a few ingredients.iemixed fruit, orangejuice.but cant remember whatelse.This is for a guy who is on a very limited income who wants to make some forhis family.

245sam, Nov 1, 9:31am
This one!from Trademecooks.

"3 Ingredient Fruit Cake
has no butter. 800gms mixed fruit, pour over 2 cups orange juice and soak for 2-3 hours.or more, then add 2 cups S.R.Flour, mix well and bake 1 1/2 hours in 140o oven. 20cm tin. Keeps well and is a lovely fruit cake. posted by worrit":-))

eljayv, Nov 1, 11:29pm
No sugar butter or eggs but it is a tasty cake I make it throughout the year because I love fruit cake.
1kg mixed fruit
2cups fruit juice or tea
2 1/2 cups self raising flour
1tsp mixed spice
"vanilla essence
"almond essence
"1 lemon essence
soak fruit in juice ( I have used Charlies) with spice and essence overnight or for a few hours.
Mix in the flour
bake 1 1/2 hours 160dg test with skewer if need 140dg till done.

pickles7, Nov 2, 12:38am
We couldn't eat it at all. I made the orange juice recipe. Absolute Horrors.

bill241, Nov 2, 1:13am
I know I shouldn't judge it before I try it, and so on, but that one with the orange juice and the SR flour sounds.awful. How does it not end up terribly dry and one-dimensional in flavour!

davidt4, Nov 2, 2:35am
It is.I can't imagine why people like it.

hoonguek, Nov 2, 2:55am
pickles7, bill241 . which recipe were you referring to! not the one by eljayv w/o eggs, butter and sugar! thx

bill241, Nov 2, 3:34am
Any of them really.I haven't tried them though so I can't actually comment with any credibility.

uli, Nov 2, 4:01am
Because it is easy, cheap and quick to make. And people do like the taste.

Just like most people LOVE takeaways - although I think they taste terrible. But probably 90% of NZlanders LOVE the stuff and will tell you that it tastes "good".

So that is why I suppose.

kay141, Nov 2, 4:43am
Did you bump this year old thread so you could criticise the recipe and the people who eat it!

elliehen, Nov 2, 4:54am
I get a 'takeaway' from a local Indian Restaurant which is usually full of discerning New Zealand diners.

What a wild generalisation - not to mention the slur on '90% of NZlanders'!

Why does this person constantly disparage the people in her adopted country!

kay141, Nov 2, 4:57am
I read back through here and realised I haven't made a cake for a year. Must be time I baked again. And I never eat "takeaways". Might have fish and chips once every couple of years when my daughter visits. She lives 20mins drive from the nearest shop so it is not on their menu either.

uli, Nov 2, 5:19am
No I bumped it for the Xmas cake bakers. They all love "an easy quick recipe" - so that is exactly what this is.

I then answered davidt4's question.

You and ellie can answer her question too if you like - nobody is stopping you.

antoniab, Nov 2, 5:21am
Guess Im the minority too then. Takeaways = blerk!