Who makes their own mince?

Page 2 / 2
0800xford, Jan 11, 8:39pm
hi lilyfield, yeah it's almost painfully obvious when looking at the whole range side by side aye, i feel confident buying one now that i know the difference, thanks.

i'd like an old english, german, nz etc made one [not chinese] cast iron or stainless steel preferably
i saw some plastic ones yesterday, not sure how long they'd last, surprisingly expensive too.

beaker59, Jan 12, 3:06am
Mines a chinese cast iron one which cost $45 bought off trademe it looks like it will outlast me easily. They are very simple machines and easy to clean.

uli, Jan 12, 8:31am
bump for other "mincers" :)

ant_sonja, Jan 12, 7:19pm
Kitchenaid here, have had the mincer attachment since I bought the machine 5 or so years ago. It works brilliantly on both commercial supermarket meat and wild caught stuff :-) Have now got the proper sausage making attachment and looking forward to trying it out! I like lamb/sheep/goat meat mixed with some fatty pork for mince.

uli, Jan 12, 9:52pm
did oxford get banned?
Why are all his posts deleted?

annies3, Jan 12, 10:12pm
George Foreman mincer is great, and I use beef without any fat, from the off cuts

goatchickens, Jan 13, 8:02am
We use chicken, pork, beef and chevon (goat). all our own home-grown meat.We have an electric one bought off TM a couple of years ago, geepas or something similar, but it doesn't really have a lot of grunt and gets hot way too quickly.Have gone back to our hand mincers, the old ones that mount on the bench and are run by human power.

I've heard good things about the Kitchenaid, but I have so little storage room, the last thing I need is another kitchen appliance.

I don't have a proper sausage attachment for the hand mincer, so just make sausage patties and freeze them.Still taste the same!

beaker59, Jan 13, 9:05pm
Fun thing about my mincer is because I am lousy at labelling we often have mystery mince for tea it could be anything from Rabbit to beef and sometimes a mix. Wild Turkey with pork is nice :)

rarogirl1, Oct 21, 4:22am
what kind of meat do you use please!

rainrain1, Oct 21, 4:32am
We don't make our own sausages, the butcher does them for us, and we use beef. I'm not sure if we have ever made mutton into sausages but I can see no reason why you couldn't.Beef would have more flavour though

rarogirl1, Oct 21, 4:36am
what kind of machine would I need to mince meat! Will one of those kitchen whizz things do!

rainrain1, Oct 21, 4:42am
My whizz wouldn't cope with mince, it would probably wreck it. But some of the more expensive variety might.I don't know what you could use apart from one of those very old wind up mincers that screw on the side of the bench, they have a crank handle.great things if you can get your hands one one

rainrain1, Oct 21, 4:53am
The guys used to mince up meat down in the garage here, gawd knows what they used, probably a self made invention run off a bicycle wheel or some such contraption. I remember the meat flying for miles and the mess to clean up afterwards. I must have a look on TradeMe though .

cookessentials, Oct 21, 6:10pm
Depending on how much mincing you do.you can get semi-commercial ones if you do alot of mincing/sausage making. Sadly, Kenwood are not the same as they were 30 odd years ago and are belt driven. If you want a mincer that attaches to your stand mixer, then Kitchenaid is the one you want. They are gear driven, direct drive,all metal construction ( no plastics like Kenwood and others) and hand assembled in the USA.

greerg, Oct 25, 8:08am
The only thing to watch for with older clamp on mincers is that modern benches are thicker!The clamp on mine (36 years old) doesn't fit onto my bench so I have to put it on the bread board then sit on that to hold it steady.Not elegant, but fine for the Xmas fruit mince but I wouldn't want to do it that way regularly.