Would you eat soup left out all night?

Page 2 / 2
jcsolgier, Oct 14, 7:01am
Yup! Salmonella would have been killed when you cooked it, as long as I gave it a decent zap in the microwave I would eat it. Have done that several times and am as healthy as a horse :)

jayc14, Oct 14, 7:45am
Nooooooo, definititely not!!!

macandrosie, Oct 14, 8:48am
If you cooked it in a stainless steel saucepan it should be fine I have done the same thing & I'm still here! However if you've cooked in aluminium then chuck it!

gabrielle4, Oct 14, 9:28pm
am going to chuck it... it was sitting in a bowl ready to go into the fridge with only glad wrap on top and I'm not sure it was even sealed as I left a bit open to let out steam. at the end of the day not worth the risk to have the whole family with the trots! lol

sue62, Oct 15, 8:30am
Absolutely not !

darlingmole, Oct 15, 9:29am
don't chuck it gabrielle

pea's porridge hot
pea's porridge cold
pea's porrodge in the pot
9 days old~!

boil it up until piping hot then eat it up and enjoy

robyn1313, Oct 15, 8:18pm
Eat it - I would - wouldn't do it in the middle of summer tho'

jag5, Oct 16, 7:31am
Fine this time of year.I have done it many times...just forgetful.If you want to perhaps freeze it.That will sort it out.

When reheating, make sure you bring it to the boil and boil for at least 5 minutes.You will be fine.I do think that a lot of people are just far to sensitive.I am 56 and never had food poisoning from anything I have made or done.Supermarket surimi, but never anything I have cooked.

chchgurl, Oct 16, 7:33am
Yep only cos my house is cold over night, would give it a good rolling boil before I ate it though!

kuaka, Oct 16, 8:01am
Give it to someone you don't like!

helpless, Oct 16, 10:29pm
Wouldn't even worry about eating it..Way too much fuss made over "How long should something be left around before chucking it out". I make Curries soups etc and still eat them after a week of refrigeration..Not a problem.

nfh1, Oct 16, 10:52pm
Refrigeration and left out over night on a kitchen bench are two completely different scenarios.

helpless, Oct 16, 11:02pm
Not in my book they aren't..Heck, a night on a bench in a kitchen isn't going to kill you..wear some pjs and don't lie on a knife and you'll be fine,,Living proof ..

uli, Oct 16, 11:35pm
Just logged on to tell you that I ate chicken soup made Friday - it was outside of the fridge all this time and it was very nice :)

uli, Oct 17, 4:09am
... and I am still alive and kicking :)

uli, Oct 17, 5:28am
I guess the last two generations have grown up with fridges, so have not really learned how to keep stuff edible without refrigeration. It was only 60 years ago when the first household fridges were introduced into NZ and only in the 1960's and 70's did they become an item every household had. Before that many a chicken soup would have been kept in a cool room for a day or two. But it would have been kept in the pot it was cooked in with a close fitting lid - and neither opened nor transferred to a bowl and covered in glad-wrap. So hardly any bacteria would have gotten into the soup while it cooled down.

nfh1, Oct 17, 7:22am
Sorry I don't understand your reply to me - what on earth do PJs have to do with soup???

nfh1, Oct 17, 7:25am
So did you leave it out on purpose uli? If so - why?

I must admit to being obsessive about refrigerating items and am interested why you would choose not to.

uli, Oct 17, 8:02am
Cause my 10 liter pot doesn't fit in the fridge LOL :)

And I do have several unheated rooms in my house, so I have no problems with that.

In summer I don't cook soup - I eat salads and other stuff, so it never actually eventuates that I have soup standing around while it is hot - as most hen slaughtering takes place between May and September/October.

And no - I did not do this as an experiment for you all - I do it all the time.

As long as you boil the chook for an hour or two and then leave the lid ON the pot - there is not much happening to the soup at all. It forms a nice jelly around the chook and covers itself with a lovely layer of fat on the top. Pretty safe that way.

nfh1, Oct 17, 8:06am
LOL - that is a big pot and a lot of soup!You would need a huge fridge for that and have no room for the wine.

I know I am a wimp and probably throw lots of stuff away which does not need to.Our house is really warm and we have no cool rooms - never goes below 16 degrees.

uli, Oct 17, 8:11am
I have a huge fridge, but it seems forever full with stuff :)

bestdeals, Oct 17, 9:32am
Haha, my house gets to 8 degrees at night so no biggies there! But seriously judging from the ads in this country everyone must be paranoid about salmonella.

Yes you can eat food if it was not in the fridge, I dont put soup in the fridge for at least a day and I dont bring it to the boil until its been 2-3 days. My 2 cents

robyn1313, Oct 17, 9:19pm
Yup - there is a big difference between leaving it out over night and leaving it in a pie warmer for 10 hours!!!

uli, Jun 8, 9:14am
Mmmmh - isn't that what you get in service stations in the middle of the night :)