Anyone done Lamb with milk?

christopher53, Oct 8, 6:50am
If so, have you a recipie? thanks

gardie, Oct 8, 6:46pm
No I haven't - generally you do pork with milk.Pour abou 1/4 - 1/2 inch milk into a baking dish and dip the (pork)chops in then coat in seasoned breakcrumbs.when all are coated, pop them back into the left over milk in the dish and bake till tender.The milk gets absorbed into the breadcrumbs.I'm not really sure that the taste of lamb will go with milk.

ed65, Oct 8, 7:02pm
I've got a lamb and milk curry recipe, although the notes say you can use beef or goat instead. Do you want me to post it on here?

ed65, Oct 8, 7:14pm
Lamb and Milk Curry
Ingredients: 1kg lamb cut into 3cm pieces (substitute with blade/stewing beef or goat), 2 t gr. coriander, 1 1/2 t turmeric, 1 litre milk, 2 onions sliced, 2 T green ginger, 1 t salt, 1 T chilli powder, 2 t black pepper, 1 t gr. cumin, 2 T oil, 5 cloves garlic chopped, 2 t garam masala.
Method: Put all spices except the garam masala in a large bowl and mix together with a little of the milk to form a paste. Now add the rest of the milk, stirring as you pour. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 or so minutes until soft. Remove the meat from the milk with a slotted spoon and add to the pan. Fry well until the meat is sealed on all sides. Increase the heat, add the milk mixture and bring to the boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to very low and simmer until the meat is tenderand the sauce reduced (timing for stewing beef is given as 1 to 1 1/2 hours so would assume lamb would have a shorter cooking time). Just before serving stir in the garam masala, increase the heat and boil off any excess liquid to leave a thick sauce coating the meat. Serve immediately, perhaps with rice or pickles. Serves 6.

christopher53, Oct 9, 5:45am
Mmmm, that curry sounds nice! I will try it and let you know. Is there a recipe without the curry influence? I have heard it done with Veal.

kay141, Oct 9, 6:17am
I think lamb and milk is a Greek way of cooking. Maybe Google it.

nojack, Oct 9, 6:28am
Haven't done it lately, and can't find the recipe. I remember it was really good though. This is as close as I can find via Google:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-braised-in-milk-with-garlic-and-fennel
It's not exact but close enough ... and without the curry influence.

nojack, Oct 9, 6:36am

christopher53, Jul 28, 4:50am
Surprise to see this thread up again!. I did the above curry recipe and it was fantastic. Watch you dont burn things and keep the temp low.

christopher53, Oct 9, 6:50am
If so, have you a recipie! thanks

gardie, Oct 9, 6:46pm
No I haven't - generally you do pork with milk.Pour abou 1/4 - 1/2 inch milk into a baking dish and dip the (pork)chops in then coat in seasoned breakcrumbs.when all are coated, pop them back into the left over milk in the dish and bake till tender.The milk gets absorbed into the breadcrumbs.I'm not really sure that the taste of lamb will go with milk.

ed65, Oct 9, 7:02pm
I've got a lamb and milk curry recipe, although the notes say you can use beef or goat instead. Do you want me to post it on here!

christopher53, Oct 10, 5:45am
Mmmm, that curry sounds nice! I will try it and let you know. Is there a recipe without the curry influence! I have heard it done with Veal.

nojack, Oct 10, 6:28am
Haven't done it lately, and can't find the recipe. I remember it was really good though. This is as close as I can find via Google:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-braised-in-milk-with-garlic-and-fennel
It's not exact but close enough . and without the curry influence.

nojack, Oct 10, 6:36am