I FOUND AN OLD RECIPE BOOK............

Page 4 / 4
spongeypud, Oct 7, 8:46am
I've got one called Lee's Priceless Recipes 1924, another Modern Cooker (Compiled for Ellen Melville and Pioneer Women's Memorial Appeal) no mention of a date but it mentions Lady Freyberg giving a recipe and thanking Mrs. S.G. Holland, the wife of our Prime Minister and wives of Cabinet Ministers, and Mayoress Lady Allum. Another called Economic Technical Cookery Book (it has a recipe for Wild pidgeon and Kakas)! The final one called Tried Recipes published by the Victoria League, Auckland price 2/-. This also has no date but states The Victoria League is named in memory of the late Queen Victoria. Its aim is to foster every movement which makes for union between the United Kingdom and her overseas Dominions, price 2/-.
Julie I am doing just that for my great niece who is going to be 5 in November, they aren't just kids recipes but favourite family recipes and she's helped me make Chinese pork dumplings, Scotch eggs, Bacon and Egg pie and scones to name a few, so that's some of the recipes I have typed out for her, I get them laminated and add them to a ring binder.

elliehen, Oct 7, 11:40am
spongeypud and clair4, if your old recipe books are sitting gathering dust, why not list them here on TM!There are many collectors of old New Zealand cookery books who would treasure them.

kob, Oct 7, 4:57pm
hi JulienI did exactly the same as you are doing but i used technolgy, I cooked a dish on a normal day for a year and each time i would cook a dish id photo it, after a year I had a whole recipe book, so once all the sections were done and and photos were added some i grabbed from google but most were my own from sauces to biscuits to soup all got prointed off and i took them to the bookshop and they lamionated the front and back covers and bound them, I gave this recipe book to my DIL on xmas day with some cooking trays and a casserole dish and both of them were astonished.youngest son still rings to ask how to cook something cause he reckons its easier than trying to look through the book , but i think its orsum.sometimes the cheapest homemade things might take the longest but they are the most treasured.I would of done it in hand but unfortunately my writting is that neat and original that only i can decipher it LOL so much easier to use fonts lol

white_elephant, Oct 7, 5:34pm
I sometimes sell on here old recipe books I come across. I recently sold 3 scarce ones for $25.00, they don't really go for much considering how special they are.
auction no. was 320069985

valerie66, Oct 7, 6:12pm
I've got an old recipe book of my nanas who passed away last year.It's all recipes she has written in by hand that she had for many many years.It is a prized possession of mine.

amazing_grace, Oct 8, 7:46am
I used to have a book from 1920 something, it was red leather, just little, and was written by Mrs M.at the beginning of each recipe she said things like "My French butler, C, had this recipe in his family." or "Mr F, who visits on weekends likes this with his partridge shoot". The recipes were incomprehnsible.

- Take 100 cray tails, put in a stewpan over a fast fire.Let it cool and pass through a tammy cloth, add enough butter which is freshly churned, and make into a smooth paste.Let sit in the cool of the pantry " etc etc.

I couldnt make any of the recipes!In the end it went to a garage sale.

helen35, Oct 8, 7:35pm
One of my most treasured items was a cook book that my grandmother gave me about 30 years ago and I lent it to someone about 8 years ago and never got it back. And I cant remember who I lent it too.I was in the habbit of lending books.
Anyway, it was called *things a lady would like to know* and it had really old recipes and menus for every day of the year plus other tips, medical etc.
I remember one recipe started, take 30 eggs! .
I wonder if they had a remedy forforgetfullness back then. :-!

mallee, Oct 8, 10:24pm
Doesn't that just peeve you off! You are nice enough to loan it, and the so called friend doesn't return it. It's happened to me too, and possibly alot of others.

donnabeth, Oct 8, 10:53pm
The saddest loss for my MIL when her home was burgled was her old recipe book which included recipes from her mother and Aunties who were all fabulous cooks and bakers in their day. There were little hand scribbled notes in margins at the bottom or top adjusting from coal ranges to electric or gas cookers and fan bake. Some of those recipes were a family history in themselves.

Lots of MIL's recipes were named after the person who gave them to her. I continued the trend, presenting my daughter at 21 with a beautiful carefully handwritten book of familiar recipes collected from all the family. I called them names like 'Aunty Joy's Pav.' so that when she thinks of the dish she knows which one to look for. I also included the little quirky hints and tips that came along with them.

When my son left home I did something similar but it was more practical meals that I printed on the computer and put in a clearfile. I also labled them like 'Nana'a shepherds pie'.

mallee, Oct 9, 2:31am
Was you daughter delighted with the book!

zeta7, Oct 10, 12:09am
I have a folderthat I brought when I was about 15 (I am 46) I brought and gave it to my grandmother to write all the recipes that she made when we were kids(she was an very good cook and didn't use recipes ) All my family and friendswhat recipes from it is known as granny's book but it doesn't leave my house as it is not replaceable as she has been dead for 20 years

elliehen, Oct 10, 12:26am
Old recipes books are history books.I have one where it's recommended to the wife to put on lipstick before her husband comes home from work and if tea is not ready, at least put the tablecloth on the table so that he'll think tea is not far off and won't be angry!

mallee, Oct 10, 3:04am
Table cloth, what's that! :-)

hezwez, Oct 10, 7:32pm
It's too late to get this loved book back, but a hint in future.before you lend a book, pencil your name inside, and make a reminder on your phone organizer for one month hence, to contact the person you lent it to and see if they've finished with it. It helps keep track of your things. Most of the time I think non-returners have simply forgotten, it's not a deliberate ploy.

smileeah, Oct 12, 1:16am
lol And make sure the children all have clean clothes and faces and are quiet when he arrives. And always ask him how his day was first because his problems are more important than yours, and be cheery and pleasant even if you've had a dreadful day. lol

cookessentials, Oct 12, 2:19am
I agree elliehen, that is why i began my own hand-written one back in the early 1980's. I put a date next to all the recipes i write in there. I have also been through Mum's very old recipe book and added family favourites from there, including my old old aunties farmhouse cake which was made with lard.believe me, it is a gorgeous crumbly fruit cake.the type you eat with cheese ( as many English people, such as my Dad do!)

guest, Oct 26, 4:47am
I am a consultant that sells a program for the computer that makes the BEST digital recipe books! And if you don't want to make one on your computer, I sell two other recipe books, that you fill out in your own hand writing, add pictures (of the cook's favorite recipe and cook, etc.) if you wish, with even a few little notes on the side! You can do the same in the digital recipe books too! The choice is yours! If you wish to checkout my website... here it is! http://www.mycmsite.com/sites/roseturner/Content/Shop/Catalog.aspx?search=recipe Here are a few ideas, if you would like more information... contact me through my website, at the top of the page in the right hand corner it says "Contact Me". I would love to explain more! :)

I LOVE recipe books, I read them all the time...
at home,
in my car (while I am waiting for kids)
in the library - I take photos of the pages I like!
I read them for fun,
I read them looking for gluten free food for my 2 celiacs,
I reed the desserts the most!... then I wonder how I gain weight just by reading!!! :)