Icecream

chevycoupe, Oct 3, 4:53pm
Hello everyone,looking for a ice cream recipe that does not need a machine.Fool proof if possible.

cookessentials, Oct 3, 6:17pm
You dont need a machine for any ice cream. The trick is to part freeze, then stir well to break down any crystals, cover with foil and freeze.

chevycoupe, Oct 4, 7:53am
Oh is it cream with whole eggs or only the whites?????

nanasee1, Oct 4, 8:36am
3 bowl ice cream: (Not suitable for pregnant women as egg is not cooked)
3 eggs separated
300 ml cream
1/2 c sugar
Beat egg yolks with 1/4 c sugar until really pale
Beat whites with 1/4 c sugar until sugar has dissolved & the mixture is thick & meringue like
Beat cream until soft peaks form (don't over beat)
Gently fold the creeam & egg yolk mixtures together, then gently fold in the egg white mixture.
Freeze for 6 hours, no further mixing needed.
Flavouring can be of your choice:
1tsp vanilla essence
1/2 c chocolate chips
Frozen berries
etc etc. If using alcohol no more than 60 ml or it will affect the setting of the ice cream,also give the ice cream a thorough stiring after two hours as it tends to sink to the bottom of the container.
Makes approx 1.5 litres

mmmail, Oct 4, 10:38am
Uhhmmm, go to good quality market and just buy some 1st class icecream - yes, I know, it's called cheating..but it'll still taste yummy....

obviousas, Oct 6, 1:17am
Is it fresh cream and ordinary white sugar? Can I substitute with raw sugar? thx

cookessentials, Oct 6, 1:20am
whole eggs. You make what is called a "cream anglaise"

nanasee1, Oct 6, 2:28am
Hi obviousas - yes fresh cream and white sugar. I haven't tried raw sugar but i imagine it would work as long as it is beaten until dissolved. Someone else may have tried raw sugar!

sultana0, Oct 6, 6:14am
Maple syrup makes a creamier than cream texture, add some walnuts and whollah

noelee, Oct 6, 9:17am
Didnt Nigella make her own ice cream using frozen cut up bananas she just whizzed these up very nice too I added frozen strawberries to the recipebut you could probably use any other berry fruit be fine.

obviousas, Oct 6, 10:44am
Yummy and also good for the tummy. I wouldn't put bananas. Home made ice cream needs to have more exquisite ingredients.

obviousas, Oct 6, 10:46am
I wonder if yoghurt could be used instead of fresh cream? It would be guiltless ice cream.

nanasee1, Oct 6, 6:40pm
You could try yoghurt but I think it would change the consistency and would probably need to be half frozen then rebeaten and frozen again. The delight in the original recipe is that it is made & frozen then forgotten until wanted for dessert. It is much richer than commercial ice cream so portions are usually much smaller when eaten. If you do try yoghurt come back and let us know how it went.

obviousas, Oct 7, 1:15am
Thanks.

Would try your recipe first and when I am more confident and understand how it works, would try using yoghurt.

Can't eat much unless there is less fat. But as you said if there is less cream/fat, it won't be so smooth.

obviousas, Oct 9, 4:22am
Tried your recipe with 500 gm of rich creamy yoghurt. Found some almonds and pistachios and toasted and chopped them. It tastes good like a gourmet ice cream but texture like an ice block!

How can I improve on the texture? Will try with fresh cream as per your original recipe when I can get some. I swapped raw sugar for white and used 3/4 cups, as the natural yoghurt over poweringly sour.

nanasee1, Oct 9, 5:00am
Obviouas I would think that the ice block texture is because of the low fat and don't know what you could do to improve the texture without resorting to cream. I am sure some of the others on this board will have ideas for you though.

gardie, Oct 9, 6:30am
Annabel Langbeim just made one.Three bowls - in a bowl put 3 egg whites and 5 tbsp sugar and beat till soft peaks.In another put 3 egg yolks and 5 tbsp sugar - stir together then add 2 tbsp boiling water and beat till it forms ribbons.In 3rd bowl beat 2 cups cream.Fold altogether and pop into baking paper lined loaf tins.She put a mix of fruit and nuts but said you can put all sorts.

dbab, Oct 9, 6:34am
You could always make the one where you beat 600mls cream and then add a can of condensed milk. I add maple syrup to flavour this. Put in freezer till frozen. Works well in cones as well as bowls.

naki3, Oct 9, 9:09am
I vote for the condensed milk one... so easy.. I add chocolate sauce and all sorts of bits to it. Try not to use whole can on condensed milk as it can be too sweet.

katalin2, Oct 9, 10:24am
Jo Segar has a recipe where you put frozen berries or any fruit for that matter and icing sugar and thick yoghurt into the food processor and process with on off button and serve immediately; also used to make one in the 70's where you chilled evaporated milk and then you whipped it- cant remember what else you added, but it made a large amount, and I used to turn it into 3 different flavours, chocolate, lemon, and can't remember the third, then when it was ready, I used to scoop balls out and have it ready on a silver platter in the freezer just before a dinner party; so all I had to do was to take it out and serve. Someone might have the recipe, I think it was on the back of cans of evaporated milk back then.

obviousas, Oct 9, 8:45pm
This sounds like a lot of work, esp cleaning the processor afterwards. BUT it is simple and worth having a go. Thx

katalin2, Oct 9, 9:08pm
Two separate recipes above- the Jo Segar recipe is simple as. The chilled evapotated recipe is not done in the processor- whipped it in a bowl, that was pretty simple too, we are packing up to move so a lot of my recipes books have been packed away, if I came across it will put it up in a few weeks when we unpack.

wildflower, May 19, 12:09pm
Thanks for that, I taped it and was going to write it out, you saved me the job:)