ICECREAM

edith06, Jan 28, 4:22am
I bet this has been on before BUT has anyone got a really really good way to make the real thing. I have an icecream maker but the icecream is rock solid , how can I overcome this , have you a good recipe please . TIA

splitty, Jan 28, 4:26am
1 Tin of condensed milk and 600ml cream plus flavouring.

Whip cream, add condensed milk, whip again until well combined and add flavouring like vanilla or maple syrup is really good. My kids lick the beaters and can't wait until it is frozen. If you add fruit like strawberries it is a bit icy but still good

davidt4, Jan 28, 5:23am
You need to make a custard base:

4 egg yolks
250ml whole milk milk
250mlcream
100gcaster sugar
1 vanilla pod (sliced down the middle)

Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan and bring the pan slowly up to boiling point. Place the vanilla pod into it and leave to infuse for about 20 minutes.

In a bowl, beat and mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Carefully remove the vanilla pod from the pan of milk and scrape out the seeds into the milk.

Pour the hot milk mixture into the mixture of egg yolks and sugar whilst stirring. Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL, just to a temperature below a simmer.

When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool. When the custard base is cold transfer the whole mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

You can add all sorts of flavourings to this base; dark chocolate (melt with the milk mixture), pureed fruit (add when cold), liqueurs - not too much or the ice cream will be too soft.

timetable, Jan 28, 5:52am
quick and easy... . 1 cup of cream beaten till really stiff - almost butter but don't! then add pinch of salt and an egg and beat again really well, then add 1 cup of sugar and beat really well again. then add 1/2 a 1/4 cup of milk very slowly and beat well again, then add your flavouring - fruit pulp, essence, choc chips etc and stir in really well. put into an ice cream container and frezze over night - you don't have to stir it or anything! double or triple the mix to make larger batch's - never fails...

vinee, Jan 28, 9:15pm
booze!
I do the condensed milk one and an egg one, but both, while yummy as, are pretty solid.
booze doesn't freeze so mixing it in might keep it softer.
I did make it a couple of times but can't remember it being any softer... maybe i put too much in and got drunk! ha

suie1, Dec 9, 4:54pm
Maple walnut is yummy mmm just going to make some while the kids shell the walnuts.