how to make a good salad?

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 24, 2:48am
mine allways looks like ive thrown everything in a bowl, because i have lol, but is there a better lettuce to use?

cookessentials, Feb 24, 2:54am
Hi hamburger - LOVE the name by the way, very "recipes" I suppose it depends on the type of salad that you are wanting to do. You can get a firmer style lettuce such as cos or a good buttercrunch. A layered salad in a clear glass bowl can look quite spectacular with various layers using different colours, a good mayo etc. I do a nice one with mango and avocado which is very tasty and quite pleasing to the eye. I also do a rocket one ( nice and peppery) with semi dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, freshly sliced ( very thinly) parmesan and a good balsamic and olive oil dressing. What sorts of things do you like?

vashti, Feb 24, 2:58am
Washing the lettuce is what seems to spoil it for me.
Lettuce never seems to look nice afterwards, even when I pat it dry.
Other people just throw a salad together and you can't wait to dive in, but mine always looks so sad, lol

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 24, 3:29am
i love most things! gherkins, pickled onions, 4 bean mix, avo, tomato, cucumber (sort of) but my partner doesnt seem to like anything just cucumber, tomato, lettuce mmmm yucky lol

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:47am
Get yourself a salad spinner vashti - this will take out the excess water that can weigh down the greens. The layered salad is lettuce layer, sliced raw mushrooms, eggs, red onion ( from memory) cooked peas, creamy mayo dressing, crumbled cooked bacon in alternate layers and it is yummy.

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 24, 4:09am
ohhhh cooked baco that sounds great! what about those bacon bits made from soy could they work?

doug57, Feb 24, 4:21am
Or if you don't want to buy a salad spinner, place washed lettuce in a clean tea towel. . take it outside and spin it around vigorously!

doug57, Feb 24, 4:22am
Real stuff is tastier! [who could resist that delicious smell! . . I feel like some now just thinking about it! ]

edited as I can't spell! lol

fifie, Feb 24, 4:28am
Another one for you with cooked bacon, Brocoli Salad. 1 Head brocoli uncooked in small pieces, 1 red pepper chopped, 1/2 red onion chopped, handful cooked crisp bacon crumbled, handful plain cashew nuts chopped. Dressing. ! /2 cup eta mayo, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons wine vinegar.
In large bowl combine brocoii, pepper, onion, bacon nuts, . Mix dressing and toss through salad, mix well Place in fridge and chill well before serving. .

doug57, Feb 24, 4:29am
This IS yummy. . I can recommend it :)

pom4, Feb 24, 4:41am
I bought the New World Morrocan Carrot salad last night, expensive but very very nice and tasty. Wish I could make salads like that.

shrug, Feb 24, 5:21am
That is my favourite and I make it all the time! ! ! ! YUMMO

deb8888, Feb 24, 5:29am
i always add finely sliced fruit, apples pears and especially bananas etc...

darlingmole, Feb 24, 5:34am
hey hamburger chic . . I LOVE ur profile pic! It's so cool!

ferrit47, Sep 5, 6:50am
yes Salad with Hamburger ! ! ! !