Dear Recipes people

Page 1 / 2
charlieb2, Sep 16, 11:10am
Its awful here in Christchurch, the last 24 hours have seen us hit with many aftershocks. Its awful and scary. Aftershocks are earthquakes..... so we are being hit over and over and over with earthquakes.

These aftershocks are taking a toll on our property, if we thought we got off lightly with the big one, we are now seeing the toll of aftershocks, it aint pretty.

Our kids are staunch but tired ( my youngest is now sick)

Its still scary here people. And while we've appreciated your support in the days after the quake, we still need it now, its so scary here... We know we will be ok... BUT having an emergency bag packed in your bedroom at all times puts a whole different perspective on life

I know it seems like the media is over reacting etc etc.. but please, show your support here... its horrible. If we've been lucky enought to 'get thru" chances are we know someone on the demo list...

donald6, Sep 16, 11:26am
As an ex cantabrian, I hate the thought of that lovely city & all my fellow mainlanders having to go through so much. My kids went through similar when we had quakes here in 1990 although not like you have been experiencing. I just know how terrified they were & as a mum, all you want to do is keep them safe & that is so hard as each day is unpredictable. I & many others think of you all each moment & hope everyone stays safe.

charlieb2, Sep 16, 11:30am
thank you donald

charlieb2, Sep 16, 11:32am
We are watching our home crack up..literally. Cracks appear daily inside and out... Bricks that were solid yesterday are now loose. I'm amazed...

elliehen, Sep 16, 11:57am
Another ex-Cantabrian here.Stay strong, be brave, because your children will take their cues from you.Easy to say, from this safe distance, I know...

juliewn, Sep 16, 12:36pm
Oh Charlie.. my thoughts are with you there Charlie.. and my support and my belief in you all.. you're all going through so much - a hugely frightening mass of experiences.. please that it stops.. and fast..

Hugs for you Charlie.. caring and supportive hugs across this nation of ours.. they're yours.. x

toadfish, Sep 16, 5:37pm
Big Big Hugs Charlieb.... Calling them aftershocks somehow belittles what they are, as 4.4 magnitude in my book... Is still an earthquake!

You are constantly in my thoughts charlie... stay strong.... and trust that at the end of it... your lovely home will be put right.... maybe even better than before :)I for one don't think the media is overeacting and always stop to hear the latest news.

Enjoy your Friday.... Lots of Luff & a big Hig... JB

cookessentials, Sep 16, 6:47pm
Hi Charlie
Hugs to you, it must be so unnerving and being on tenterhooks 24/7 is not good for already frayed nerves.

winnie231, Sep 16, 7:26pm
My diploma course starts for me on Monday - and I wonder how I'll cope. My brain feels like it's in a permanent 'fog' from lack of quality sleep!
The stress on people's faces here, the sadness in their eyes, it's heartbreaking to witness and be a part of....
Please send us your positive thoughts & prayers - we need all we can get!

kob, Sep 16, 8:25pm
Hi Charlie B my son has been one of the army volenters that have been helping doing security down your way and he said the looting is god dam terrible, how can people be so dis heartning, he said they were standing gaurd over normal houses because people were going in and scaveging what they could......so definately my thoughts are with you, and i went online to redcross and gave a donation toward food and bedding

lizab, Sep 16, 8:51pm
((((((HUGS)))))))

charlieb2, Sep 16, 8:51pm
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.Its so heartbreaking to see what is going on here, to be living through it and to hear of people saying... 'its not that bad'.

winnie, I know a lot of people are getting short prescriptions for sleeping tablets - would you consider that?

Thanks kob..... the army are doing a brilliant job, as are our police force, council workers, telecom workers etc etc .... Working SO hard to restore the systems

alewis, Sep 16, 10:32pm
keep strong, hugs for you all I can only imagine how it must feel "living through it" I am sure that there will be many people suffering heart attacks as the stress just keeps building. Its such an unknown, what you are dealing with, maybe just maybe they will just stop - just like that I would like to think so. and maybe if its just one day one quake at a time it will happen. I am sorry you are all having to deal with it, and as I have said before you are the guys living through it and we can only imagine how you are coping. so hugs again I am sorry I cant do the magic wand and stop the earthquakes. xx

cookessentials, Sep 16, 10:39pm
Rae, did you get the rescue remedy? also those positive thoughts need to be in your head too , just like before.

earthangel4, Sep 16, 10:53pm
You are all in my heart and thoughts everyday.
Hugs to you all. xxxx

indy95, Sep 16, 11:36pm
Those of us who aren't actually living through this cannot imagine what it must be like for the people who are.I wish there was something constructive that we could do to make life a little more tolerable for all of you. I know this sounds ridiculous but I feel like baking a whole lot of something delicious and absolutely packed with kilojoules and carbohydrates then putting it all in a big box and sending it to Christchurch.

softlysoftly8, Sep 17, 2:51am
Charlie, my heart goes out to you. We were visiting my sister when the big one struck and we were with her & bro-in-law for the first four days after . I have never been so scared in all my life.It has taken a week to get over the shock of it all so please look after your self. You willl be so traumatised that if you need counselling of any sort make sure you take advantage of it.Please be sure that the rest of NZ are thinking of you all in that area. God Bless and I hope the shakes stop soon. xxxxxxxx

buzzy110, Sep 17, 3:32am
We here in Auckland cannot even begin to imagine what it is like for you and all your fellow Cantabrians charlie.Sending good thoughts and hopes for the future and wishing we could be of more practical help just doesn't seem sufficient somehow.

greerg, Sep 17, 4:07am
Winnie I am sure that your course coordinators will be expected a bit of brain fog - everyone has it to somedegree and I know that at Lincoln teaching staff are being as supportive of your students as possible.I keep opening my mouth and saying "I'm soooo tired" then wishing I hadn't - it just sneaks out - and I know we've been really lucky compared to so many.Charlie your situation sounds awful - are you getting help from the Rural Recovery Group?I have the feeling you're rural.

charlieb2, Sep 17, 4:14am
Thanks for all the lovely messages... greerg.. no, not rural, in Dallington.. on the outer edge of some pretty terrible destruction.We have been LUCKY.

I'm having a wee bit of a laugh looking at my first post today and seeing how many times I used the word "scary"...one aftershock too many.. lol

winnie231, Sep 17, 4:20am
Thanks all! It really helps just knowing that others are thinking of us.
I tried a sleeping tab 1 of the nights I was at Mums - it gave me wierd dreams but I still woke to the shakes.
I have rescue remedy ... but the anxiety is still there.
I'm sure the folks at my 'school' will understand where students are at ...
personally - I think we just need it all to be over ... and nothing till then will really make us feel better.

eastie3, Sep 17, 4:29am
Hi charlieb2 and all the other posters affected by the quakes.I grew up in the SI and came to Wellington as a teenager,so I am well used to eq's,although not in the way you have been over the last two weeks.I was in ChCh during the Inangahua eq in 1968 and can still remember THAT one !! I feel so sorry for what you are all experiencing.I have many family and friends in Christchurch.Initially the news of their losses wasn't too bad but property has been further damaged by the continuing tremors and the toll on their nerves is even worse.

One friend whose mother died a few hours after the first big shake said she feels as if she is watching herself from another dimension,just getting through the days and feeling that it is all surreal,and as if itshappening to someone else.She is normally the unruffled,take-it-all-in-strid-
e type,so this is indicative of the trauma she is experiencing.

I talk,skype or text down there daily so am well aware of what you are all putting up with,but that's not really the same as actually going through it,I realise that.

All the best xx

greerg, Sep 17, 4:34am
No it won't really.Its hard to move on when its not over.If only the wretched things didn't have to start just when we're about to go to sleep.I'm rocketing through library books in the night and drinking so much tea that if I don't get woken by another shake I have to get up and go to the loo anyway!

books4nz, Sep 17, 8:05am
My heartfelt thoughts to all there.

Post Traumatic Stress - PTSD - can be a factor during and after events such as you're all experiencing there - and it's been mentioned on TV regarding the quakes and the continuing occurrence of them with people advised to contact a GP if the symptoms continue after a few weeks - more info about PTSD -
http://www.mentalhealth.org.nz/resourcefinder/listings/resource/197/post-traumatic-stress-disorder/#content-695

PTSD is 'a normal response to abnormal situation/s that are life threatening or substantially life changing' - helps to know that as it makes it a little less scary.

Take good care..

With hugs..

books4nz, Sep 17, 8:08am
Signs of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Intrusive thoughts and images:

With PTSD the unpleasant feelings associated with the trauma keep coming back along with images, memories and intrusive thoughts about the event.There may be nightmares or bad dreams. In the daytime the person may feel that it is all happening again or have brief but vivid memories or 'flashbacks'. These can happen without obvious cause or can be triggered by sights, smells or the look of something and can occur randomly much to the confusion of the individual. They are typically accompanied by intense feelings such as guilt, grief, fear or anger.

Avoidance:

PTSD has an impact on the person's relationships. Individuals with PTSD may try and avoid any situations, people or events that remind them of the trauma.Families may be puzzled by the person's withdrawal into themselves.People with PTSD may be unable to feel emotions even for the people they love or care for. They may feel detached from others and may lose interest in things they once enjoyed. This can lead to misunderstanding, estrangement and further withdrawal. Avoidance can lead to alcohol or drug overuse, depression, and eating difficulties.

Hyperarousal:

People with PTSD may be constantly watchful or jumpy.Their sleep is often disturbed and they may feel irritable and angry with themselves and others.Memory, concentration and decision-making are often affected.