Tired of banana cake-what else to bake with banana

Page 2 / 2
suzyf, Jan 15, 2:41am
just made the BANANA CARAMEL BARS so yummie

bev00, Jan 15, 10:26am
yummy nana ideas

seniorbones, Jan 15, 10:31am
Pam.does this keep well, I need to make a few things to take away with us friday, I will bake thursday and this reminds me of a banana walnut loaf my grandmother use to make, delish sliced and buttered with a cup of tea :-)

sarahj1, Jan 15, 8:25pm
This is a cakey-slice that is great for lunch boxes - makes lots, keeps well and because of the oats allows you to believe you are giving the little darlings something 'healthy'! (From the Ghiradelli Chocolate Cookbook)

Golden Banana Bars
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup soft butter
4 medium bananas, mashed
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup choc chips

Heat oven to 350/180. Cream sugar and butter til fluffy. Add mashed banana, egg, vanilla and mix well. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl and then add to butter mixture with the choc chips.Stir well.
Spread into greased 9 x 13 baking pan and bake for 40 mins or until golden brown.Cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into bars to serve.

bev00, Jan 19, 10:53am
Banana Muffins 1 cup Sugar; ¼ cup Oil; 2 Eggs; 3 Bananas - mashed; 3 tablespoons Sour Cream (or milk); 1 tablespoon Baking Soda; 2 cups Flour Beat sugar and oil. Add eggs and bananas and mix well. Dissolve baking soda in sour cream. Slowly add the soda mix to the banana mix. Mix in flour and blend gently together. Spray muffin tins with non stick spray. Bake at 200°C for 20 - 25 minutes This recipe works. You can put in 1/2c choc chips.

terraalba, Jan 20, 12:34am
I have added bananas to curries with coconut too.

glenys21, Jan 20, 4:19am
I have just made "Banana Caramel Bars" very nice thank you so much 245sam! Definately writing that in my recipe book.

gerbil, Jan 20, 4:27am
Just freeze them.The outsides go black but the banana inside remains fine for baking.You just defrost (can even use a microwave), cut the end off and squeeze out the banana.It comes out like it was mashed. You wouldn't know it from fresh in a banana cake.

vinee, Jan 28, 10:42pm
I'd like a slice recipe - although I've never heard of a banana slice!
any ideas!

pericles, Jan 28, 10:43pm

vinee, Jan 28, 10:45pm
Ta, but it's just a flat nana cake!

indy95, Jan 28, 11:19pm
Pericles, would you mind posting the recipe for the " flat nana cake " please !I can't get into that site for some reason and am now very curious as to what it might be.

245sam, Jan 28, 11:25pm
here you are indy95.

From the link as posted by pericles (#2):-

"Recipe for Banana Slice
Ingredients
1 cup self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup castor sugar
60 grams butter
1/3 cup mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

Sift dry ingredients. Melt butter. Mix the egg, milk, butter and banana. Stir into the dry ingredients. Grease a lamington pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a moderate oven. Ice when cold with lemon icing and sprinkle with cinnamon.":-))

245sam, Jan 28, 11:43pm
no problem - you're welcome, indy95.:-))

maysept, Jan 28, 11:55pm
If they're not TOO overripe, and you're having a bbq, split them, fill with a few choc chips, a couple of marshmallows, a little butter and brown sugar, wrap in foil and stick 'em on the bbq while you're eating the main course. For the ultimate, add some whipped cream to serve. They're fantastic! Even my friend who hates bananas will eat these.

vinee, Jan 28, 11:59pm
theyre yukky nanas! and need mushing and baking and then taken to work for the boys to eat.
I do a pumpkin cake from the banana cake recipe and so I might switch it around and do a banana pie from my pumpkin pie recipe - if you see what I mean!
Otherwise I woulda fried them, made a caribean caramel sauce and crepes.

goldgurl, Jan 29, 12:03am
Banana and sago pudding.Mmmm.except it's too hot.more of a winter recipe.But then again, it is nice cold :)

smchkn, Jan 29, 3:15am
Banana smooooooooothies.mmm-
mmmmmm

carot3, Jan 29, 4:23am
oh yeah, i remember my Dad used to make banana fritters and dust them with icing sugar while still hot and the sugar melts into them yum-o. I make them for my kidies from time to time but i love a heap of butter on mine :) p.s. pam.delilah for your bread/loaf, does the banana have to be over ripe or not! ta

bev00, Apr 4, 10:29am
My current fav is: Banana Bran muffins
3/4 C sugar (i use 2/3C), 1 C bran, 1 C flour, 4 tsp baking powder, 2 eggs, 100g butter melted, 1/2 C milk, 2 bananas mashed.
Preheat oven to 200c. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat eggs, melted butter & milk together with the bananas. Add dry ingredients and mix together to just combine. Spoon into the well greased muffin tins and bake for 10-15 mins.

Quotejaky (531 )6:37 pm, Sun 3 Apr #2
I can only make muffins in 2 dozen batches, but here's my recipe (I say recipe, but I just throw it all together, especially the cream and milk)

5 c S/R flour, 3/4 c sugar, half tsp salt, about a cup of sultanas (if you want the extra fruit - leave out if you don't), chop up 4 brown bananas. Make a well in the middle of the flour, drop in your chopped bananas, don't stir yet. In separate jug, 4 x eggs and a good cup of thick cream (I have a house cow, so am lucky not to have to use butter for muffins!), whisk together, pour onto bananas in dry mixture, still not stirring yet, pour in approx 2 cups of milk (I just free pour, adding more if I need it) Stir gently together. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at fan forced 190 degrees for 20 mins. Leave muffins in tin for 5 mins before turning out onto wire rack to cool. Can be frozen and reheated from frozen in microwave. (I live on a farm and make muffins all the time for morning tea)

Quotelizab (134 )6:51 pm, Sun 3 Apr #3
I should also add that by using the basic muffin recipe above, you can substitute the bananas for chopped apples & mixed spice (sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top before baking), chopped apricots with orange zest/juice and choc chips, pineapple with coconut etc etc - the basic recipe is very good.

Quotelizab (134 )6:54 pm, Sun

norton, Sep 4, 8:34am
Could you do these in the oven!

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 12:09am
Yeah you can. we used to do them in a bonfire while camping but the oven will work. They're SOOOOOO good! Haven't had them for years.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 1:29am
Sliced banana and raspberry jam shortcake.topped with a big blob of stiffly whipped cream :-)