A Butter with no water on the ingredients label?

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Aug 15, 1:48am
"The butter you buy is also coloured to malke it nice and yellow. Home made butter is quite pale. "

I think the point is that your statement (above in quotes) says that butter is coloured to make it yellow. I've seen someone making butter and hers was quite yellow. One can only assume that it is the difference in cows, which is why your butter is pale.

All NZ butter is made from cream which comes from fresian or fresian/jersey cross cows. Jersey cow cream probably makes a more pale product. Just guessing here.

uli, Aug 15, 3:34am
My point is that you are writing things here that are not true - and I was trying to point that out - as a lot of people have gotten into trouble lately with writing lies on this board - the journalists are reading here to find new stories - and you might well end up in a lawsuit if you write rubbish like "NZ butter is coloured".

This could be plain ignorance on your part by not realizing that spring and summer milk makes lovely yellow butter because of the fresh grass (and the colouring agent in that) and winter milk makes pale butter because of the supplements fed (palm kernel, etc - help make the rainforest extinct and kill off the orang utans).

However I will refrain from pointing this sort of stuff out to you if you prefer to learn the hard way. Good luck!

dbab, Aug 15, 4:24am
The bright yellow colour in the spring is from the colostrum in the milk.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 4:28am
Does this mean that there is colostrum in the cream as well? I didn't know that.

uli, Aug 15, 6:31am
No it is not - it is from the greens they eat - which is chlorophyll, beta carotene and zeaxanthin.

For those that did not know this zeaxanthin is an anti-oxident vitamin that protects the eyes.

Specifically, zeaxanthin protects the macula, a key component of the retina. Without enough zeaxanthin the retina suffers "macular degeneration, " which is damage that leads to blindness.

So go and get grass fed chickens, gras fed eggs and grass fed beef and butter and cream :)

And remember that not everything in NZ is grassfed nowadays ... the cows do get quite a bit of grains or leftover bread, oreo biscuits etc ... .

uli, Aug 15, 6:41am
Come on - let us know what you think cooks :)

crails, Aug 15, 7:07am
I checked all the different butters at Foodtown Pakuranga this afternoon. Tararua was the only product that was cream and salt. All others were either cream salt water or cream salt milk.

splitty, Sep 7, 4:39am
It also depends on what order the milk/water is listed on the ingredients listing. The ingredients are listed on packaging from most volume to least. I know Rolling Meadow, Alpine and Homebrand are all Cream, water and salt and most of the others are cream, salt and then water. IMO if you are making biscuits they spread more if the butter has more water

bev, Oct 11, 8:07am
I have a lot of trouble with old tried and true recipes that call for butter. I'm sure water is added - it's more than just the amount that might come with processing real butter. Sometimes I've gone to butter-flavored Crisco but it's not the same. I wish I had the ability to make my own butter. I want to continue baking some of the same cookies I've made for years but I can't with the butter products available to me now. They turn out really poor.