Recipe needed for birthday cake for diabetic.

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Aug 8, 2:12am
uli I found this coconut flour cake on the net and you may be interested in it.

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/03/coconut-flour-orange-c
ake-with-coconut-oil-frosting-gfcf-2/

davidt4, Aug 8, 2:12am
How does the guava plant come into it?

Dates areapprox 69% carbohydrate, i. e. 69g of carb per 100g of dates. That is high and I doubt that they would be recommended eating for a diabetic.

The lowest carb dried fruits arefigs at approx 54%, and apricots at approx 55%.

joybells2, Aug 8, 4:24am
Presume the cake is for show, i. e not for them to eat it on their own, but for everyone to have a piece. One piece is not going to kill them. I have been a diabetic for about 25 years, if they want a piece they will eat it, if not its a nice gesture anyway.

gardie, Aug 8, 7:55am
Thank you joybels. I wouldn't be making a cake if I thought the recipient was going to eat and and go into a diabetic coma! She will love the thought - as will the other restaurant guests and is likely to try a small peice. The children there will love the cake - can you imagine their faces if I turned up with a smoked salmon lol!

nfh1, Aug 8, 8:01am
and where would you put the candles?

amiri1, Aug 8, 8:51am
My friends try to kill me each year with a birthday cake too, they say they don't mean to and it's only once a year! Good luck whatever outcome you want!

kiwivixin28, Aug 9, 8:43am
Well said, i was told much the same by my diabetic dietitan when i was struggling with the sweet cravings... . . for instance i had a habit of having coffee and a sweet thing when shopping with my sister... was only once a week but i found it hard to cut it out cold turkey... so she suggested 3 things... 1. do it every other week... instead of weekly... . next smaller things not huge cream buns LOL and last have it before the shopping... . then you have a couple of hours to walk around and hopefully work some of it off. But as southern girl has said all these "dont do" foods affect us differently... . . for me a small slice of cake wouldnt put me to sleep or make me feel yuck, , , , but anything more than a tea spoon of ice cream and im not well at all lol

ribit, Aug 12, 10:00am
Hi GardieI think this is quiet funny, you simply ask for a
cake recipe suitable for a diabetic and are given suggestions on fish platters! ! ! Not sure what part of the question was not understood

buzzy110, Aug 12, 10:45pm
According to Dr Bernstein there is no such thing as a cake suitable for a diabetic so you can see why there was quite a bit of controversy. Poster #1 should have been more up front, and asked the question so that we understood that the lady doesn't really tightly control her blood sugars as much as Dr Bernstein recommends for continued excellent health and that the cake will be more for the pleasure other people present rather than the birthday girl.

Then there would have been no problem. We'd have stepped away and let those who know all about cake baking come up with the ultimate birthday treat. Actually I have a few such recipes up my sleeve I could have shared but no way would I have considered them suitable for a diabetic so couldn't possibly post any of them.

gardie, Aug 12, 11:08pm
Thank you for your support. I thought the question quite simple too.

uli, Aug 12, 11:26pm
Yeah simple question gardie - but hard to answer if you know that diabetics should not eat cakes LOL :)

hoonguek, Aug 15, 2:04am
i am a diabetic, hv received in the past, boxes of chocs, cakes, sweets as presents. yes, they know i am diabetic. i still cheat.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 3:48am
It has been my experience that most diabetics in NZ, and indeed, in other western countries (where diabetes is rife), do not follow best practise. The advice offered to diabetics by the diabetes foundation is not really in the best interests of diabetics and so most diabetics, their friends and their families continue on their merry way, believing that the pills they take are some sort of magic bullet.

Prompted by some of the outrageous advice I have seen proffered here by diabetics and others, I set too and read two books. The first one was a fairly standard text about the physical side of diabetes - the whys and whats, etc. This gave me a broad overview of exactly what diabetes is and what the current advice is. I found some of the advice as outrageous as that offered up here so I looked further.

The next book I read was by a Type 1 Diabetic, Dr Richard Bernstein. He relates his experiences and prognosis under the conventional wisdom. It was pretty gloomy reading. Then he outlines exactly what I knew in my heart - that the conventional wisdom is rubbish, and that diabetes can be effectively managed.

Sadly cakes don't come into the equation of effective management not even for treats. So you can understand our dilemma when faced with the "simple question" as posed by #1.

hezwez, Aug 15, 7:13am
What part of pontificating don't you understand buzzy?

southerngurl, Aug 16, 12:42am
Thats unusual, all the books i've found of his, and this past week thats been quite a few as i've been living in books shops in the welly region (kudos to welly for your multiple shops btw) are based on type 2 diabetics, do you remember the name of this book?

Kiwivixen - lucky you to be able to have coffee and cake while shopping, coffee sends my bsls sky high so i've been converted to a tea drinker, not impressed as it feels odd not to have a coffee while out shopping...

buzzy110, Aug 18, 10:27pm
I have quoted the name often enough in diabetic threads. However, here it is again - Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Here is his list of Food No-No's (in a nutshell.

Sweets and Sweeteners - He has a long list of these but for this thread he mentions Honey, Fructose, Powdered Sweeteners (except stevia), Desserts (except jell-O without maltodextrin), Pastries, Cakes, Cookies, Pies, tarts and any food that contain products ending in -ol or -ose.

Sweet or Starch Vegetables

Fruit & Juices

Certain Dairy Products - Milk, sweetened & flavoured yoghurts, cottage cheese, powdered milk substitutes and canned milk concentrate

Grains & Grain Products - He lists them all

Prepared Foods

So for those in the know and who have bothered to educate themselves cake for diabetics is a definite no-no.

However, diabetics don't like hearing that. But honestly, if I, a healthy person who wants to remain diabetes free, can thrive without cake or thoughts of cake or desire for cake, then surely someone whose very health depends on rigid blood glucose control, a no cake/sweets diet should be perfectly natural.

buzzy110, Feb 6, 9:55am
southerngirl - in the past you have written quite scathing things about my diabetic food philosophies, however, they aren't mine. I borrowed them from a true expert in his field.

Maybe you can dismiss what I say simply by implying that knowledge from books isn't the same as experience in the field. However, I don't want to become diabetic, and that is a very real possibility in my family so I actually live more by Dr Bernstein's philosophies than most NZ diabetics, who have been led to believe they can and should eat all these things that are bad for them.

You believe the Diabetic Foundation and that is your prerogative, however, I know what I am doing is best (by blood results) and what the Foundation is saying would compromise my health - once again by blood results.