Ideas urgently required for struggling Cafe

Page 2 / 2
alewis, Aug 4, 12:06am
the most important thing a cafe can do is do GOOD coffee, if its burnt or not warm enough, are the coffees execptional? I refuse to go to cafes that dont do a good coffee and sometimes its a shame cause the food is just lovely. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN is the other biggie is it spotless? and smells nice? food almost sounds too cheap to me, and keeping it simple will add to the profit as well.

verrans, Aug 4, 12:30am
People are picking healthier options in their diet these days. You notice the long lines of teenagers outside sushi and subway as well. Perhaps they need to add more healthier options in the menu. Rather than all that pastry etc

cookessentials, Aug 4, 12:55am
#1 asked for suggestions, that is my suggestion. Just because you are sick of it does not mean it is not a good idea!

cookessentials, Aug 4, 1:08am
The other thing is to do things that are different to everyone else. So many places seem to all do very similar things and that's fine, but also offer something a bit different - perhaps sommething that becomes her "signature" dish.

pamellie, Aug 4, 3:05am
indy95 wrote:
Vaughan60, you said in your first post that the cafe was doing reasonably well at the start but has now gone quiet. This might just be a seasonal thing but perhaps your friend needs to look at the type of food being served and think about whether it is appropriate for the area and the people who come into the cafe. This isn't meant to sound snobbish but maybe they just want something different from what is on offer.

This sounds sensible to me, know your customers, no matter how good the food is if you're not aiming it at the right market , you're not going to sell it.

litedelites, Aug 4, 3:36am
If a food run during the day is out of the question - due to staffing logistics, what about gathering peoples email addresses, and you can email out specials of the day etc. This may motivate people to go, who would not have gone otherwise. Good luck

ferita, Aug 4, 3:48am
Can you give us more info about the building it is in.
is it a factory or office workers? Factory people probably want cheap hearty meals while office workers may want lighter meals etc.

You will also find that price will have a lot to do with people coming back. With a normal cafe people dont go every day so are willing to spend more. When it is a lunch break place people will only spend what they can afford as they dont want to be working all day just to pay for lunch.

darlingmole, Aug 4, 4:16am
Hmmm, funny but I have fond memories of "coffee lounges"back in the 70's and 80's that served pizza pies, lamingtons, club sandwiches, asparagus rolls, cheese'n'pineapple sandwiches ... well you get the gist. There's actually something to be said for the bygone era and comfort foods.

I also agree that to have a constant menu is a good idea. My husband I go to a local cafe and the menu hasn't changed for the past couple of years - the only thing that's changed is the soup of the day and the fish of the day. Other than that? It is the same menu and the same consistent quality

motorbo, Aug 4, 4:44am
sounds strange, they love her food but are not buying it, new better place in town? why not ask customers, walk around the departments or do a survey, it could be something simple

vaughan60, Aug 11, 3:23am
the company that i have my cafe in supply tea coffee etc

nfh1, Aug 11, 3:49am
Could it be something to do with people wanting to get out of the building? Sometimes it is just good to walk away if you see what I mean.

I know this is not helpful but wherever I have worked I have never used the cafe/canteen provided. I love to get right away at lunchtime. It would have to be something very special to persuade me to remain in the same building.

Are you sure the cafe was serving more meals before your friend took over its running?

vaughan60, Aug 18, 9:34pm
she doesn't do coffee as the company that owns the building supplies the coffee sugar milk etc

pickles7, Feb 6, 5:53pm
Is she a cheap dish washer? under a take all, or any profits. . No responsibility re; the minimum wage . . But for that you wash the tea and coffee cups. . The Dairy factory we had we got paid for those services before our profits. . We had staff running that, we produced the food at our bakery. Win, win situation.