Serving Baked Cheesecake - New York Style

bidz, Feb 20, 1:17am
I have made Jo Seagar's gorgeous baked cheesecake for shared bbq tea tonight; haven't made one before but do I serve it at room temperature or straight from fridge? Thanks, Suze

moondoggie, Feb 20, 1:19am
Id say room temp, take it out of fridge while your eating dinner :)

bidz, Feb 20, 1:23am
Thanks Moondoggie :)

tiogapass, Feb 20, 2:35am
I agree, room temp will be better as the flavours will be easier to taste. I'd buy some lovely fresh berries to serve it with.

griffo4, Feb 20, 6:52am
bidz would you please share this recipe as it sounds really nice
l tried to google it but couldn't find it so l would love it if you could please post it here, thanks

paghan, Feb 20, 8:21am
Heres the one I use, its really easy and yummy.

200g sweet shortcrust pastry
500g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
¼ cup cream, lightly whipped

1. Heat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm springform cake tin. Roll out pastry to 4mm thick and use to line base of tin. Prick pastry all over, then chill well. Bake for 10 minutes, remove to cool. Reduce oven heat to 150°C.

2. In a bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add sour cream and vanilla and beat gently to combine. Gently beat in eggs one at a time (be careful not to over-mix at this stage).

3. Pour the cheesecake mixture over pastry base. Bake for one hour and 15 minutes or until filling is just set. Cool in the tin before carefully removing.

4. Spread whipped cream over the surface of the cake to decorate. Slice to serve. Serves 12 to 16.

griffo4, Feb 20, 7:55pm
paghan thanks for that l will give it a try

fattestbiker, Feb 20, 8:08pm
cheesecake should have a base made out of cruched digestive biscuits. . not pastry. . just crush up 2 packs of digestive bikkies. . mix with melted butter. . then flatten down...

now thats a cheesecake base.

245sam, Feb 20, 10:12pm
x1
griffo4, here's Jo Seagar's NEW YORK-STYLE BAKED CHEESECAKE

250g each of ricotta cheese, cream cheeseandsour cream
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup cornflour
3 eggs
1 tsp lemon juice

Grease the sides, and paper-line the base of a 20cm springform pan.
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and run the machine until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture into the pan.
Bake at160°Cfor an hour.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from the pan when cool and serve with strawberries and shoftly whipped cream.
Serves 6-8.

rainrain1, Feb 21, 3:44am
I don't think I like baked cheesecake... not sure why I don't though:-)

joybells2, Feb 21, 7:32am
Has this one of Joe Seagers not got a base?

245sam, Feb 21, 8:02am
joybells2, according to the above recipe that I posted from one of Jo's books, it does NOT have a base - not all baked cheesecakes do apparently and I recall a chef baking one on TV, then adding the base as a topping prior to inverting the cheesecake so that it appeared to have had the filling placed on top of the base when in actually fact the base was 'an add-on". I haven't made Joe's cheesecake but I guess that for anyone who feels that this cheesecake really needs a base, that TV chef's method could be an alternative. :-))

griffo4, Feb 21, 8:21pm
Thanks 245sam l will give it a try l made one years ago but can't remember what one and of course l lost the recipe but l remember it was nice

guest, Aug 22, 9:34am
It does not have a base and doesn't need one as realy delish especially with berries.