Soup help needed.

gracie3, Jul 25, 9:57pm
i usually make a pea and ham soup with Kings soup base, a pkt of frozen veg and a bacon hock added. It's fine, but it needs something, though not extra salt. Does anyone have any ideas?

cookessentials, Jul 25, 10:02pm
You could add a good vegetable stock.

gracie3, Jul 25, 10:57pm
How much?

245sam, Jul 25, 11:23pm
gracie3, I suggest that you use the suggested vegetable stock instead of water BUT be careful of the stock's salt content particularly if the stock is a commercially made one - obviously if you make the stock yourself then you can control the salt level as you think is necessary. :-))

johnmd1, Jul 25, 11:29pm
vegemite

cookessentials, Jul 25, 11:36pm
I usually use a Campbells vege or chicken stock for my ham hock soup- about 1 litre will be fine.

elliehen, Jul 25, 11:39pm
Celery and onion?

beaker59, Jul 25, 11:42pm
I'm doing lamb and pea today but adding allot of fresh ginger just now for some extra zing.

Also good for recovery of the tummy after a full on weekend of visiting etc covered most of the upper north island this weekend.

fisher, Jul 25, 11:46pm
Sorry IMHO do yourself a favour and use the mixed veges for quick meals. . Use fresh veges in your soup. . with your bacon hock

Kings soup mix. . 2 bay leaves. . white pepper. . black pepper corns crushed. . onion salt. . oregano. . soy sauce. . swede. . potatoes. . carrots. . celery. . 3 onions. . capsicum . . spring onions... and use water and vege stock preferably home made by boiling all the skins off the above veges and straining. . Do a taste test at the end and only then adjust. .

245sam, Jul 26, 1:06am
I have to agree with you fisher - I had never thought of using frozen mixed vegetables for anything other than a quick and easy meal, either as an accompaniment or I use them in Chicken and Vegetable Crumble which is my make-ahead, quick reheat, basically all-in-one stand by meal for when we both have an evening meeting to get out the door to.
IMO if one is going to the time, effort and expense of using bacon hock then there is only one option re the vegetables to be used in the soup i. e. fresh! ! :-))

kirinesha, Jul 26, 4:28am
Abolutely agree about the fresh veges. Frozen veges have their place but not in a lovely bacon hock soup!

bisloy, Jul 26, 4:36am
Stock cubes. If too salty grate a potato into it. Try adding brown sugar about a tablespoon at a time, stir well and taste.

gracie3, Nov 30, 6:16pm
Thank you everybody.