Help choc-chip biccoes are like frisbees

pheebs1, Jul 22, 2:42am
made chelsea sugar jo segar recipe they are crunchy and taste fine but are like frisbees. i want chunky chewy yummy ones. what am i doing wrong. is it because its using melted butter and not cold? ?
ant help appreciated

pam.delilah, Jul 22, 2:51am
how long did you bake them for? To get chewy ones try only baking them for about 10mins

rkcroft, Jul 22, 4:27am
as above, reduce cooking time and replace any white sugar with brown as this produces a softer, chewier result.

michelle_09, Jul 22, 4:39am
I go by the rule of looking in the oven and deciding:

If they look underdone - they are perfect
If they look done - they are going to be rocks

1oliverk, Jul 22, 8:10am
What about biccies that are soft like bread, keeps happening to me... .
I think it may be milk in the recipe?

pheebs1, Jul 23, 2:58am
mmm not sure. i always use a mix of white and brown sugar and only cook them till just golden and dont get me wrong they taste great but they are as flat as pancakes! hehe
i want them to be thicker and adding more flour does do that but then they are rock hard anyone got a great recipe? ?

pam.delilah, Jul 23, 3:10am
Chocolate chip 10 min cookies RIVER COTTAGE
Makes 14-16
Ingredients
• 125g unsalted butter
• 100g caster sugar
• 75g soft light brown sugar
• 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 150g plain flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• Pinch of salt
• 100g dark or milk chocolate, chopped into smallish chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
2. Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan. Put both sugars into a mixing bowl, pour in the melted butter and beat well with a wooden spoon. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl and stir them in, then add the chocolate. You should have a pretty sloppy sort of mixture.
3. Dot heaped dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to the baking sheets, leaving a good 4cm between them as they really spread out. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are turning pale golden brown.
4. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes to firm up. Then carefully lift the baking parchment on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

kabbo, Jul 23, 7:19am
yum thanks pam. i taped river cottage winter on the way the other night and just watched it today where he made these biccies. im gonna make these.

pheebs1, Jul 23, 8:01am
thanks very much i will try these s soon as pay day allows me to buy butter and eggs! ! the joys.
will let you know how it goes

elliehen, Jul 23, 9:37am
Rolled oats go well in choc chip cookies and give them a chewy texture.

supercook, Jul 26, 2:07am
Made 10 min River cottage cookes they are great will add a bit more chocolate next time! So quick!

bisloy, Jul 26, 2:11am
I find that melted butter makes flatter bikkies. I only cook mine until they look the right colour - like michelle09. If they look the colour you like, take them out. Leave them to set ont he tray for a few minutes before trying to take them off. But there's nothing like hot choc chip bikkies! ! ! ! I like using choc buttons myself . . .

pheebs1, Jul 26, 3:07am
so can i use the same recipes as usual and just use softened butter? ?

bisloy, Nov 30, 4:11pm
I would think so. Hokey pokey biscuits and anzac biscuits always seem to have melted butter, but the rest seem to use the butter and sugar as the raising agent, so yes, just softened.