B----r! I burnt the soup!!

horselover29, Jul 12, 1:42am
I forgot to turn the element down under my pot of soup & it burnt on the bottom of the pot. I put it in another pot without scraping the burnt bits off the bottom but it smells burnt. Is there anything I can add to take the smell away? Please! Don't want to waste all the bacon, veg etc.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 1:48am
peanut butter apparently.

pickles7, Jul 12, 1:49am
Burnt food is , , , , , burnt food. I would just biff it. . thats me. Start again and take more care.

pericles, Jul 12, 1:57am
don't think you can save it

fisher, Jul 12, 2:17am
Even if you carefully remove the "top" of a burnt dish, that flavour permeates the dish... relative to how badly burnt, it is worth trying to save to an acceptable, edible level rather than just "biff it". . depends on how purist you are lol:}
As Cooky says, peanut butter has worked for some. . grated potato for others. . and reheating, placing whole peeled potatoes for others and later removed. . you have nothing to loose for trying. . :}

noonesgirl, Jul 12, 3:15am
Reading the peanut butter hint in the weekend. Suggested adding TBSP at a time till the taste goes. Can change the colour of the soup but not the flavour.

pickles7, Jul 12, 8:28am
how did your soup turn out? ? ? depending on how burnt, I would have probably settled for a cream of, any veg, soup. My lot wouldn't eat it , if there was a hint of a cover up lol.

darlingmole, Jul 12, 10:08am
i did the EXACT same thing horselover a few weeks back. Was making a bacon bone and vegetable (with the kings soup mix)soup and added a previously made one I'd frozen and next thing you know I've burnt the thing! The kids commented the (quote) "bacon hock slop soup"tasted "suspiciously smokey". I replied:"For goodness sakes! It's not bacon hock soup ~ it's cajun wild pork with organic lentils ... Phllistines! " and they politely ate the whole pot clean! ! ! ! !

(my darling grandmother taught me nothing is ever caught/burnt ... it's merely turned "cajun" ! ! ! )

aktow, Jul 12, 4:36pm
nothing you can do but throw it away. . the burnt taste will get stronger as it cools and sits in the frig.

calista, Oct 21, 4:40pm
Darling Mole I love it!

My Grandma always said, "The boys will eat it"- and they did.

My Dad said, "The boys weren't given any choice in the matter".