Chocolate mousse help please...........

bullock123, Jul 11, 12:16am
The last couple of times I have made this it has been separating leaving the mousse edible but with chunks of chocolate through it. Any ideas what I am doing wrong.
My recipe is 250g block of chocolate (I use dairymilk) 2 tbs caster sugar, 3 eggs separated, 300mls cream whipped lightly. I melt the chocolate in microwave 45 sec and cool, then add egg yolks mixed with caster sugar, whipped cream and then fold in whites. this seems to separate after I add the chocolate to the egg yolks and sugar. My chocolate is cool should I be lightly heating the egg yolks and sugar? ?
Any advice much appreciated.

2halls, Jul 11, 12:19am
I think the chocolate should still be warm when you add the egg yolks and sugar ... however, I'm also wondering if it is the Dairymilk not having a high enough cocoa solids ? I've always used dark chocolate and never experienced this problem ... I'm sure some clever cook out there will know the answer ... :-)

bullock123, Jul 11, 12:25am
Yes the chocolate is warm. I have also use whitakers dark guhana with the same results. Thinking also it was the dirymilk.

rebecca12, Jul 11, 12:25am
You can make mousse with white choc so its unlikely its the dairymilk affecting it.

unknowndisorder, Jul 11, 1:05am
Is it a recipe you've used with success before?
Reading an AWW recipe for mousse, (which uses marshmallows as well, but method would be similar), you put the chocolate, marshmallows and butter into a double saucepan until melted, add egg yolks, RETURN to heat, stir over hot water 3 minutes until mix is smooth and thick.

So it could be that you not reheating the mix is causing it to separate.
My theory on it, only made mousse once years back, and it was so rich never bothered again (was yummy, just lots of hehehe)

245sam, Jul 11, 1:16am
Chocolate Mousse is a rare treat for us and when I do make it the recipe that I use is not called a mousse but rather "Little Chocolate Pots" - it's simply 3 eggs, 175g chocolate and 2 tbsp cream. The chocolate is melted (over hot water) with the cream, then removed from the heat and the egg yolks beaten in, then the stiffly beaten egg whites are folded in.
bullock123, IMO your chocolate is too cool when you add the egg yolks and if that's not the problem I hope that someone else can shed some light on why you are having this problem. :-))

bullock123, Oct 16, 5:40pm
Yes maybe the chocolate is too cool I have made it four times the first was perfect but the other three separated. And I cant remember which method I used for the first oneLOL.