South African Milk Tart

cliff609, Feb 17, 11:00pm
x1
Hi there, could someone please give me their recipe for milk tart, we had it on the weekend at a function but I haven't managed to catch up with the lady who made it for the recipe and I'd love to make it myself. Thank you.

alebix, Feb 17, 11:11pm
google is your friend. .

Loads of melktert recipes on there.

I do have one in a book i have but its packed away.
I do know it suggested using tennis biscuits for the base and crumbled on top. . I use krispies... it was only because it requied a coconut flavour.

http://www.recipesworldwide.org/courses/dessert/melktert-mil
k-tart

alebix, Feb 17, 11:13pm
this recipe I founs is easy peasy... . very very similar to what I have here.

Hi

All milk tarts from SA either have a baked pastry base or a biscuit base. Sometimes the mixture is cooked separately in a pot on the stove and added to the base and sometimes the mixture is baked with the crust.

I have an easy milk tart receipe for you. The base is biscuit but the actual mixture seems to be similar to the one that you are talking about. It is extremely easy to make.

EASY MILK TART

1 litre of milk
5 tablespoons of maizena (cornflour)
1 tablespoon custard powder1 tin condensed milk
1 pkt tennis biscuis

Mix the maizena and custard powder together with a LITTLE MILK so that it formsa paste.
Heat 1 litre of milk in a pot. Add the other ingredients and the tin of condensed milk and cook until it thickens. Be careful not to burn. Keep stirring.

Line a dish with tennis biscuits (a single layer that covers the entire base of the dish). Use a square deep dish about 20 cm x 15 cm.

Once the liquid is cooked and thick, pour it over the biscuits and sprinkle cinnaon on top.

Leave to cool and enjoy! ! !

cliff609, Feb 18, 12:28am
Thank you - she was talking about tennis biscuits and maizena and I had no idea what they were. I think that sounds easy enough to give it a go!

waswoods, Feb 18, 5:14am
Mine's a bit different but I have to go out now - I'll come back later and give you mine

cliff609, Feb 18, 9:00am
Ok, I'll check tomorrow thank you

waswoods, Feb 18, 9:14am
I don't like using tennis biscuits as a base for this ecipe as in my opinion, the flavours "fight" each other. I use a baked shortcrust pastry (your own pastry or frozen). Then gently heat 2 cups milk, 2 egg yolks, 2 teaspoons sugar with a whole cinnamon stick. Keep stirring and then as it starts to bubble thicken with 3 heaped teaspoons of cornflour that you've mixed with a little milk or water. Cool just a little and then fold in the beaten egg whites. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar to taste.

I don't like the condensed milk one as it is too sweet
Hope that helps!

cliff609, Aug 24, 6:40am
thank you for your replies