Store Cupboard Recipes

spdip, Jun 23, 9:24pm
Hi everybody. I have some family members who are going to live in a remote part of Australia. She has asked me for some of my recipes and so I thought I would make them up a recipe book of a selection of recipes that can be made using stuff that is non-perishable. If you have any tried and true recipes that you have used, or hints and tips for replacing perishable ingredients with non-perishable, then please share them with me.

Thanks heaps.

245sam, Jun 23, 10:43pm
spdip, will your friends have access to fresh items such as onions and potatoes? If so, have a look for 'Outdoors Stew' at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=12&t=280

That recipe could be varied by using different flavoured beanse. g. chilli or whatever is available or preferred, or even canned spaghetti. :-))

duckmoon, Jun 24, 7:29am
will she have access to a freezer? ? ?
with a freezer, then things like meat and bacon and froz veges become possible...

duckmoon, Jun 24, 7:30am
Owning a bread maker - will make fresh bread easier...

Also, things like scones, waffles, pikelets - using UTH milk

glendeb, Jun 24, 7:44am
Freeze as many things as possible, if she can. Milk, grated cheese, butter, meat, bread, etc, etc.

Also powdered milk is very useful for baking/cooking.

I would recommend buying a slow cooker too as flavours can be much more forgiving in the slow cooker.

Some of my favourite recipes are from the first Alison Holst Slow cooker book like this auction... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfiction/Cooking/Healthy-ea
ting/auction-298666752.htm

They tend to use pantry ingredients like vinegar, herbs, spices, flour and canned veges

glendeb, Jun 24, 7:54am
I've just thought about it some more and what about things like Meatloaf, with a can of mushroom soup. Or croquettes with a sachet of mushrrom soup. Or pasta made with a can of pumpkin soup.

I have got the recipes fr the above in my cookbook if you would like them. Just trying to think outside the square!

spdip, Jun 25, 1:25am
She will have a small freezer - (fridge/freezer) and will have canned goods stored in her pantry, however shopping for most perishable items is a 2 hour drive away so will happen irregularly.

glendeb, would love the recipes.

I know she has a slowcooker, and will check if she has a breadmaker, as I do have one otherwise she can take. Although they have to fit everything they are taking with them into 7 44 gallon drums!

jwatson, Jun 25, 3:20am
I make a few one pot dinners with a can of condensed soup when I get desperate and they generally turn out well. Eg, a packet of pasta spirals, some chopped chicken, mixed frozen or fresh veg and then add a tin of chicken condensed soup. Top with fresh or dried breadcrumbs and a bit of cheese and it works everytime. You can also use soup in potato bakes, casseroles etc. Soup is also often quite cheap so makes a good pantry basic.

jwatson, Jun 25, 3:21am
Corn fritters, corn chowder, sweet corn toasties etc - mmm, brings back memories of camping lol. You can also add bacon etc to any of those, but they are quite edible without.

jwatson, Jun 25, 3:30am
Tinned tuna etc can go a long way in making a meal if it is used with pasta, maybe some tuna salad, baked potatoes, tuna casserole, melts etc would be good to add. Also, any other tinned meats that can be used in recipes eg. the new tinned chicken would be good if she got really desperate (even though I think it tasted odd lol)
Also, you can do a lot with tinned beans, so they are a good pantry standby for salads, casseroles, mince dishes, soups etc.

duckmoon, Jun 25, 5:13am
I make fish pie using tinned salmon

duckmoon, Jun 25, 5:14am
pasta with tinned tomatoes, corn etc. .

duckmoon, Jun 25, 5:15am
Had a friend who was living in Akaroa, but needed to go to Chch once a month for a meeting...

she would bring her station wagon back full of stuff...
If she put her perishables in a chilli bin with a frozen chicken, they would be fine. And she would have chicken for dinner that night.

duckmoon, Sep 5, 4:45pm
also, I would be purchasing a decent freezer. .