Pepper Relish recipes please

17007, Feb 16, 8:07pm
Hi I have an abundance of peppers - I have frozen some but would like a recipe for relish - Thank you in advance

rainrain1, Feb 16, 8:17pm
I have a sauce recipe if you want it

tano, Feb 16, 8:36pm
x1
Pepper Relish By Digby Law. Use a mixture of red and green peppers for a colourful relish. I kg of green and red peppers, 500g onions, I tablespoon salt, 2 I/2 cups white sugar, 2 I/2 cups white vinegar. Remove the cores and seeds from the peppers and peel the onions. Mince them, then place in a container and sprinkle with the salt. Let them stand for 2 hours, then strain off the juices. In a saucepan combine the strained vegetables with the sugar and vinegar then gently simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until thick. Pour into hot, clean jars and seal. Hope this helps.

17007, Feb 16, 8:39pm
yes please rainrain1

tano, Feb 16, 10:10pm
I'd like it rainrain1. lol!

rainrain1, Feb 17, 4:07am
Here it is. This is a delicious recipe I found in a farming paper. I like to use red, but a friend made hers with different colour peppers and it was OK... . but the red is far nicer

RED PEPPER SAUCE

16 to 20 red peppers
2 cups rice or cider vinegar
2 cups white wine vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 tsp salt

Remove seeds and roughly chop peppers. Put in a large heavy saucepan with vinegars.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Process until smooth and return juice to washed saucepan, add sugar and stir over low heat until it is dissolved.
Gradually bring to the boil and simmer very gently for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly thickened. Ladle into sterilized jars……

snapit, Feb 17, 8:08pm
Pepper Relish

6 peppers (capsicums) any colour but generally use 2 colours at least -red and green
3 large onions
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp plain salt
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp cornflour
6 cups boiling water

Mince, finely, seeded peppers and onions
Put into a suitable bowl and pour on the boiling water leave for 5 minutes
tip into a large course sieve and drain well
meanwhile bring to boil vinegar, sugar, salt, seeds and turmeric
add peppers and onions and cook for 15 mins then thicken with
cornflour mixed with a little water cook a further few minutes
bottle

You can use several colours, . but just one colour is fine especially red. it will be bright
I generally bottle in small bottles like baby food jars or mustard bottles.
If they don't have lids that will vacuum seal on again or tight plastic lids (mustard ones)
I let them cool and use preserving wax to seal and I put a short piece of new string into the
wax so I have a "handle" to help remove it when the time comes then I cover with the cellophane
jam seals as dust protection. The vacuum seal and the wax stop the pickle drying out.
I hope you don't mind me telling you that, I don't know how much of these sort of things you do or if you use the wax.
I find it is nice with cheese and crackers and other things as well especially if you like peppers

I have anothermight as well send it as well

Pepper pickle
4 peppers,
500g tomatoes,
4 onions,
2tbsp salt,
1/4tbsp turmeric,
2cups white vinegar,
11/2 cups sugar,
1 tbsp mustard seed,
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp paprika

chop vegetables and sprinkle with salt, stand for 1 hour then drain well in colander.
Mix flour , turmeric and paprika with a little of the vinegar and set aside for later
Bring to the boil the remaining vinegar, seeds and sugar.
Add the drained vegetables and return to the boil for about 10 minutes then add the flour mixture to thicken and cook a further 5 minutes
Bottleas above but I would use bigger jars for this, jam jar size

korbo, Feb 18, 9:12am
bumping for winnie
snapit, ... . . thanks for such a gret idea of the string when doing the wax... wish i had thought of this this week, made 30 jars of jams and pickles and waxed every one... . will keep it in mind for next year. i save all the wax and reuse and reuse... .

winnie231, Feb 18, 9:16am
Not me - but thanks korbo. I'm after juliewn's (or anybody elses) recipe for pickled peppers.

korbo, Feb 18, 10:11pm
easy peach and pepper relish.

1 kg of peaches, (after skinned and stoned)
2 large onions
1 green pepper, 1 red pepper or just one colour.
1/2 cup sultanas or rasins
3 cups brown vinegar
2 teaspn curry powder
1/2 teasp mustard seeds
1 teaspoon plain salt.
1 cup brown sugar.
peel and chop peaches into small bits, also chop up peppers into small bits.
add rest of ingredients EXCEPT sugar.
bring to boil boil 20 mins.
then add sugar and bring to boil simmer for 30mins.
if it looks a bit runny, thicken with cornflour and vinegar.
very nice.

sukhita, Feb 22, 12:46am
Here's what I made yesterday.

Pretty Pepper Relish

1kg mixed peppers
2lrg onions
2 apples - peeled, cored & grated
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
3C vinegar (I used cider & white)
2C white sugar
1tsp salt
2tsp brown mustard seeds
1Tblspn black peppercorns (tied in a muslin bag)
4Tblspn thai sweet chilli sauce

Chop peppers & onions into matchstick size pieces and place in preserving pan. Add the rest. Bing to the boil then simmer till thick & pulpy (90min approx). Discard peppercorns. Pack into hot jars & leave atleast a month before using.

sukhita, Aug 27, 2:01am
Oh - I forgot that I'm at work so under a different name ... winnie231 here :)