How to make infused oil...?

diz_fullah, Jun 7, 1:15am
I want to make a garlic infused oil & a chillie infused oil? ? ?
Also if anyone has a recipe for pickled chillies? ? ?

fisher, Jun 7, 1:16am
NOT ADVISABLE...

diz_fullah, Jun 7, 1:18am
oh really?

kirinesha, Jun 7, 1:57am
Infused oils made at home can cause botulism. Adding fresh ingredients to oil gives a perfectly neutral environment for the growth of fatal toxins. If you make these oils store in fridge and throw out after 10 days max. You can make long lasting ones with dried spices - it's the fresh ingredients which are the issue.

Fresh ingredients in vinegar (eg: tarragon vinegar etc) are fine as the acidity of the vinengar prevents the growth of toxins.

There's a pile of information on the interweb thingy if you take a couple of minutes to search.

kirinesha, Jun 7, 1:59am
This one is safe to make:

Spiced Middle Eastern Oil

This is spicy and very flavorful olive oil. Use this to marinate meat or vegetables before grilling, baking, or broiling. Makes good oil for stir-fry.

Servings: 16 servings
Category: Condiment
Ethnic Style: Asian Inspired

Ingredients:
2 cups olive oil
2 whole star anise pods
3 whole cardamom pods
2 whole cloves

Instructions:
In a medium glass mixing bowl combine oil, star anise, cardamom and cloves. Mix together and pour mixture into bottles, using a funnel. Cover tightly and store at room temperature.

diz_fullah, Jun 7, 3:30am
oh wow thank you I didnt even know it wasnt safe to do so your self!

kirinesha, Jul 14, 7:48pm
I was keen to make a pile as gifts a few years ago diz_fullah, then did some reading about a pile of poisonings and some deaths in the US all relating to homemade infused oils.

I quickly flagged that idea after doing that research.

I love my friends and family too much to want to kill them. Well, most of them anyway. ;)