why does it state in some recipes for preserving

jennyl11, Feb 15, 4:04am
that even tho putting in hot jars and sealing you then put the product in the fridge. . have just read that on two recipes seems a unnessary to me

cookessentials, Feb 15, 4:31am
cant say I have noticed any.

valentino, Feb 15, 4:31am
Surely the golden rule of any hot jars is to let them cool completely before and fridge especially if using glass.

susieq9, Feb 15, 4:56am
I would think that after opening the preserve to put in the refridgerator. Maybe that is what it means.

jennyl11, Feb 15, 6:39am
this is the end of the recipe. . let cool and bottle into hot sterilised jars and seal. store in fridge.

this is from the homegrown book

snapit, Feb 15, 10:17am
What recipe was it for.
The only one I can think of that might say store in the fridge would be a curd recipe , lemon honey lemon cheese type of thing , due to the egg and butter content.
But that would be after allowing to get cold.

buzzy110, Feb 15, 10:12pm
Reading your recipe I'd like to point out the obvious. First I have to qualify by saying I have no idea what it is you are preserving so could be wrong. For preserved food to remain 'preserved' in jars without refrigeration you need to put the food into the jars whilst hot and the lid screwed on. As the food cools the lid will create an airtight seal.

Your recipe is for putting cooled food into sterile jars and I presume the author is relying on the added sugar or salt to provide the preservative which is not adequate if your jars are not airtight sealed.

Personally I have never understood the reason for cooling something down before preserving. I often see it for jams and saw someone post, in another thread, that if you put the lids on whilst the food is still hot it condenses and grows mold on the surface. Theoretically that shouldn't happen if you bottle and seal food, using steile containers and lid, when it is still boiling hot, which is what I do everytime and have never had a problem with out-of-fridge storage.

One exception is curds made with eggs. I always refrigerate, even though I follow good preservation practise.

valentino, Feb 15, 11:20pm
Hi, just noticed the words "let cool", wondering if this is in the wrong part of sentence, should be at the end...

How big is this and recipe and what is it you making, sounds like a small one hence maybe one or two jars only hence that last bit of "store in fridge".

Hopes this helps.

lythande1, Feb 16, 6:15am
Because there is no preservatives and you may get molds or such still, even after sterilising.

allspices, Feb 16, 9:06am
Lemon honey/lemon curd if well cooked in a double boiler, will last 4 months - no fridge needed until jar is opened. A cool storage place would be recommended - panty or low cupboard is OK