2 recipes from the past required...

nzmu, Jun 4, 11:16pm
someone may have these stashed somewhere...

Butterscotch biscuits, original recipe from Chelsea sugar or Golden Syrup can, can't remember which. It involves golden syrup and baking soda to 'bubble' and then mix with the dry ingredients - very similar to hokey pokey biscuits.

Pineapple snow - or at least that's what we called it. I think made with unsweetened condensed milk and probably crushed pineapple. End result was a fluffy cold dessert - similar to a cheesecake but no base.

I would love to hear back from anyone that can help - recipes were used in the 70's.

kumerakid, Jun 4, 11:54pm
x3
here we go pineapple snow page 117 edmonds cook book
1 tin pineapple cubes 1 pkt pineapple jelly crystals 1 cup boiling water white of 1 egg.
dissolve jelly in the boiling water make up to 600mls with pinapple juice when jelly is nearly set add the stiffly beaten egg white and beat all about 10 minutes (use a fairly large bowl, ) pour over pineapple cubes and leave to set.

nzmu, Jun 4, 11:57pm
thanks kumerakid, not the right one, but sounds nice.

kumerakid, Jun 4, 11:57pm
pg 39hokey pokey biscuits, 125g (40z) butter 1 tsp bicard soda
50g sugar 1 1/2 flour 1 dessertspoon milk 1 dessertspoon golden syrup
cream butter and sugar, warm mil and syrup, add bicarb soda, pur bubbly mixture into butter and sugar, then add flour, roll into balls, press with a fork bake on greased trays 15-20 minutes at 180c

kumerakid, Jun 5, 12:01am
thanks mum for my edmonds cook book 17th edition 1980 - time for a new one i think,

nzmu, Jun 5, 12:05am
I have the 1985 version in good condition, sits in an acrylic holder. Unfortunately neither of my requested recipes are in there.

margyr, Jun 5, 12:32am
here is one not using condensed milk but sounds interesting, in an old handwritten book i have; Pineapple Cloud, 1 tin evaporated milk, 1 425g tin crushed pineapple, 1 pkt lemon jelly, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cold water, cherries, pineapple peices, thread coconut. Place evaporated milk in fridge overnight, bring to the boil the crushed pineapple, lemon jelly, lemon juice, sugar and cold water. Remove from heat and stir well. Leave to cool andpartly set, whip evaporated milk until thick, Blend into pineapple mixture, leave to set. Spoon into individual serving dishes, decorate with cherries, pineapple pieces and coconut. Mum used to make ice-cream with the evaporated milk also, it was yum.

nzmu, Jun 5, 1:12am
thanks margyr - that sounds like it! I have copied to my recipe folder.

nzmu, Jun 5, 8:19pm
bump for butterscotch biscuit recipe... ?

kcak, Jun 5, 10:28pm
This probably isn't quite what you were asking for but it is a very old recipe that we always enjoyed after Sunday lunch and I'm sure could be easily adapted by adding crushed pineapple and replacing the water with juice. We knew it as 'Fluff' and had it served with fruit.

2 egg whites, 1cup boiling water, 1dsp gelatine, 1/2 cup sugar.
Melt gelatine in boiling water
Add to egg whites and beat well.
Add sugar slowly along with vanilla essence and cochineal if you want pink 'fluff'
Refrigerate until 'set'. Sometimes a little jelly forms at the base.

winnie15, Jun 6, 8:49am
http://www.chelsea.co.nz/recipes/search. aspx? keywords=Biscui
ts&p=7
try this for butterscotch biscuits #1

cgvl, Jun 6, 9:31am
Hi nzmu: This is one from the back of the tin of milk from the 70's.

1 tin crushed pineapple well drained,
1 tin evaporated milk very well chilled (also known as unsweetened condensed milk)
1 plain lemon or pineapple jelly.

Make up the jelly and leave until cold but not set. Make it thicker than normal jelly ie use 1cup water instead of 2.
Whip the chilled milk until thick, combine with the jelly and whip well.
Pour over the pineapple and leave to set.
If you don't drain the pineapple the mix will not set.
Recipe is also similar to flummery.
I don't have a recipe for butterscotch biscuits that I am aware of.

nzmu, Jun 6, 6:53pm
thanks for the recipes, still would like to find the recipe I used to use.

nofrills2, Jun 6, 10:51pm
re flour is it 1 1/2 dessertspoons?

thuntzster, Jun 7, 7:34am
Are you after the butterscotch instant pudding biscuit recipe? Am in the middle of shifting but will find it for you tomorrow

nzmu, Jun 7, 7:58am
no, but thank you. there was no instant pudding in the recipe. Hope your move goes well.

kumerakid, Jun 8, 2:56am
opps sorry
1 1/2 c flour
125g butter
50g sugar
1tsp bicarb
1 dessertspoon milk
1 dessertspoon golden syrup

nzmu, Jun 9, 6:50am
bump, still looking for the biscuit recipe.

wishful4, Jun 10, 4:35am
Hi, I was looking in my 1955 Edmonds Cook bk for old recipes and found someone has paperclipped an old recipe for Pineapple snow pudding inside it, which reminded me of your post. It reads like this -

1 tin of pineapple
1 pint edmonds custard (thick)
1 packet edmonds pineaplle jelly crystals
2 breakfast cups hot water or part juice from pineapple.
Drain juice from pineapple and put cut up pineapple into a glass dish. Pour custard over and leave to get cold. Dissolve jelly crystals in pineapple and sufficient hot water to make 2 breakfast cups altogether. Leave until thickening, then beat until frothy and pour on top of custard. Decorate with whipped cream.

nzmu, Jun 10, 7:15am
thanks wishful, that sounds lovely. I have the pineapple recipe, but still hoping someone has the butterscotch biscuit recipe.

neil_di, Jun 11, 9:43pm
Kumerakid... DO NOT buy a new Edmonds book. The good reliable recipes are either not in them or have been altered sooo frustrating. Hand on to your old copy. I'm glad I did.

dalbyj, Jun 12, 12:50am
Google came up with this ... probably not the right one but could be close?

125g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 1/4 cups self- raising flour

Beat butter, vanilla essence, sugar and golden syrup together in a bowl. Stir in sifted flour until all combined. Roll into walnut sized balls. Place about 5cm apart on greased oven trays and flatten with a fork. Bake for 15 mins (soft) or 20 mins (crunchy) at 180c.

dalbyj, Jun 12, 12:51am
actually now that I read your first post, this recipe is nothing like what you want, sorry

nzmu, Jul 28, 9:40pm
thanks for taking the time to look dalbyj.