Prunes

Page 5 / 7
indy95, Jun 4, 8:51pm
It certainly does, kirinesha. They are also lovely split open and stuffed with cream cheese sweetened and mixed with orange zest and a little Cointreau. You can top these with blanched toasted almonds if you like.

kirinesha, Jun 4, 10:23pm
We had a retro dinner party and did them stuffed and wrapped in bacon, they were gorgeous!

rog.e, Jun 4, 10:28pm
"Angels on Horseback", I think they are called kirinesha. They are delicious.
V

kirinesha, Jun 4, 10:31pm
That's it Rog.e, they really were great!

daleaway, Jun 4, 11:27pm
I thought prunes in bacon were "Devils on Horseback" and that "Angels on Horseback" were oysters wrapped in bacon.

rog.e, Jun 5, 2:36am
yes you are right dalewaway. Not sure why I crossed them over lol.
V

indy95, Jun 5, 11:06pm
Prune and Pear Torte Slice

225g good quality stoned prunes
300 ml tea
Lemon juice
450g ripe pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
25g fresh white breadcrumbs
50-75g butter melted
4 large sheets filo pastry approx 25 x 50 cm
3 tbsp apricot jam or quince jelly ( or other jelly )
50 g walnut pieces, toasted
Icing sugar

Roughly chop the prunes and soak overnight in the tea with the juice of half a lemon.

Next day strain the soaking liquid into a pan.

Combine the prunes and the pears with breadcrumbs and juice of the other half of the lemon.

Layer the sheets of filo on a work surface, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Put the filling in a strip along one long edge of the pastry leaving some clear space at each end. Fold the ends in then roll the pastry up to enclose the prune mixture. Lift carefully onto a baking tray and brush over with more melted butter.

Bake at 200C for about 30 mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool.

Brush over with a glaze made by combining the soaking liquid with the jam or jelly and bubbling it down to a syrupy consistency. Brush over the torte and scatter over the walnuts, then brush on the remaining glaze.

Dust on some icing sugar before serving.

rkcroft, Jun 6, 2:50am
I've got a lovely jar of prunes in port in my fridge. They are beautiful on top of rice pudding.
375gm pitted prunes
1 1/2 cups port
2 T brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole star anise
Peel from 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
Peel from 1/2 orange thinly sliced
Place prunes in a bowl.
Put rest of ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Pour over the prunes and allow to go cold
Remove cinnamon stick & star anise.
Pour prunes and liquid into a large sterilised jar and seal
Leave to rest 1 week before using
Once opened keep in fridge.
I often double this recipe

rubyjane11, Jun 6, 3:05am
rkcroft. that sounds luscious!

nattles88, Jun 6, 7:56am
oh im a lover of prunes myself I have a slow cooker recipe for Bacon-Wrapped frutied chicken rolls, pork with prunes, bacon, potato and prune cake and fruited lamb tagine. i could type any of them up if you like and i sure they could be easily adapted to cook normally if you dont own a slow cooker

jayc14, Jun 6, 8:08am
r.croftLike the idea of prunes in port.I have some sweet port, I guess that would be ok wouldn't it, and if I did several jars how long would they keep before opening.

wron, Jun 6, 10:19am
Yes please nattles88!
PS I have a neice we used to call nattlebug!

beaker59, Jun 6, 11:12am
I use them as a laxative from time to time when needed its a good no chemical solution and very effective just do it early in the evening and don't plan to go out, open a packet sit and watch telly and eat them until you can't eat any more you will be sorted by the evening news. I also soak in vodka as a christmas treat, just add a packet to a jar and tip in a cup of straight vodka leave to soak longer the better but I have eaten them the next day. and the juice left after eating the prunes makes a very tasty little tipple.

rkcroft, Jun 6, 10:19pm
Sweet port will be fine.Port is quite sweet anyway hence the reason its only 2T brown sugar as prunes are very sweet too.If they are kept in properly sterilised sealed jars, then they should keep a few years.I like to bottle my hot so the seal on the jar pops.Otherwise you can always boil them in the jars till the seal pops.

jayc14, Jun 7, 3:55am
Thanks-So they would be ok to put in the smaller jars for gifts etc., (also some for me)!

2halls, Jun 7, 4:32am
Prune Muffins (from "mmm Muffins,Shirley Bradstock).These are delicious,I've made them many times.1 egg,2T melted butter,1 c yoghurt,1/2 t allspice,2 t baking powder,1/3c sugar,1 1/2 c flour.For the filling:1/2 c prune puree,1 T melted butter,1 T sugar,1/2 t cinnamon,1/4 c chopped walnuts.For the topping:1 t cinnamon,3 T sugar.Heat oven to 200C.Put first four ingredients for the muffins in a bowl,mix well.Add BP,sugar and flour and lightly mix.Put one spoonful of the muffin mix in the muffin case,drop a small spoonful of the filling on top,top with more of the muffin mix.Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and bake for12 - 15 mins.These are also lovely warm as a dessert.

rog.e, Jun 7, 4:37am
Thanks for thismuffin one 2halls - it is what I was waiting for lol.

There are many very interesting recipes on this thread and I am grateful to each of you. Hope they inspire others as well.

Also - beaker59's handy hunt might be worth rwemembering.

V

V

indy95, Jun 7, 5:29am
That certainly does sound like an very effective solution, beaker59, but I couldn't help smiling a little at your comment about not planning to go out that evening. If I had to resort to such drastic action I wouldn't be able to go out for about a week !

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:41am
This was off the trademecooks download - came across it today as i was copying/pasting. I haven't tried it though. There were at least two other prune recipes on there too - will see if I can find them too.

APRICOT & PRUNE LOAF
(From Tina Duncan, White Tie Catering) 200g prunes, roughly chopped; 1/3 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped. Pour over 2/3 cup boiling water and soak until cool (room temperature) 1/2 cup vanilla grape seed oil, or grape seed oil (add vanilla essence or vanilla paste) or canola oil; 1/2 cup raw sugar; 1/4 cup golden syrup; 1 egg. Beat all four above ingredients in a bowl. Add: 1 1/2 cups flour. 1 tsp baking powder,1 tsp cinnamon, Pinch salt and 1/2 cup sultanas. Then mix in the mixed apricots and prunes in the soaking water. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 180°. (Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before cooling on a rack. It can be a good idea to wrap the loaf in a tea towel to cool to keep it extra moist. Slice and serve plain, or with butter.) posted by boxsters3

rog.e, Jun 7, 10:45am
Gosh this is good, thanks. V

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:48am
One more, from the same place.

Chocolate & Prune Brownies from Delia Smith.
50gm dark choc, 50gm pitted prunes soaked overnight in 55m brandy, 50gm whole almonds, 110gm butter, 2 large eggs beaten, 225gm demerara sugar, 50gm flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4tsp salt. Soak prunes overnight if desired. Chop almonds and roast in oven for about 8 minutes to help develop flavour. While roasting, melt choc & butter together.Remove from heat and add in rest of ingredients including the liquor the prunes soaked in & the roasted almonds. Mix till well blended. Spread mix into prepared pan and bake @ 180°C for 30mins. posted by rkcroft

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:55am
also from trademecooks download:

Pork and Apple Braise
1 tbsp oil, 1 large onion thinly sliced, 1 clove garlic chopped, 2 tsp soft brown sugar, 2 green apples cut into wedges, 4 pork loin steaks or medalions, 2 tbsp brandy, 2 tbsp seeded mustard, 1 c chicken stock, 1/2 c pitted prunes and 1/2 c cream. Heat oil in large pan. Cook onion & garlic for 10 minutes, add sugar & apple. Cook stirring regularly until apple begin to brown. Remove apple & onion from pan. Lightly brown pork two at a time. Then put allpork into pan. Add brandy & stir until all has evaporated. Add mustard & stock. Simmer over low heat covered for 15 minutes. Return the apple & onions to the pan with prunes & cream, simmer for 10 minutes or until pork is tender. Season to taste before serving.
posted by valentino

cookessentials, Jun 7, 10:56am
Mmmmm move.LOL

cookessentials, Jun 7, 10:57am
I love prunes and often do them in a compote with apricots and sliced apples- beautiful for breakfast. Mum also does a beautiful prune mousse.

unknowndisorder, Jun 7, 11:07am
I used to not mind prunes (mum fed them to me whenever she was on whatever diet), but had an operation last year, drank a glass of prune juice with my MIL, who'd picked me up from the hospital, and had a panicked phone call a couple of hours later, telling me to throw the bottle she'd given me as it had worked too well on her.
Must ask her what was wrong, as it didn't affect me (I know she ended up going to the doctor about it). Somehow now, the thought of prunes just doesn't appeal.