This recipe comes from Taste magazine for August 2009 :

Tea soaked Fruit in Red Wine Glaze

2 c hot fragrant tea
3/4 c pitted prunes
1 c dried apricots
1/2 c red wine
2 T sugar
Thick Greek yoghurt or lightly whipped cream to serve

Make a pot of fresh tea. Put prunes and apricots in a bowl and pour over 2 cups of the hot tea. Let this soak overnight.

Put the soaked fruit and half the liquid in a frying pan with the wine and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved then simmer for 10 minutes spooning the syrup over the fruit occasionally. Leave to cool.

Serve with the yoghurt or cream and sprinkle over raw pistachios or other nuts or seeds if liked.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 4:24am
CHICKEN WITH PRUNES

4 Chicken Joints
4 oz (100g) Prunes
1 Onion, sliced
1 Bay Leaf
6 Peppercorns
1/2 pint (300ml) Red Wine
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 oz (25g) Butter
4 Onions, quartered
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1/4 pint (150ml) Chicken Stock
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 rounded Tablespoon Redcurrent Jelly

Put the Chicken in a pan with the Prunes, sliced Onion, Bay Leaf, Peppercorns and Wine. Bring slowly to the boil, then cool. Turn into a bowl, cover and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Strain the marinade, stone the Prunes and reserve the liquid.

Heat the Oil in a pan, add the Butter, then the Chicken Joints and fry quickly until golden brown, turning once. Remove the Joints from the pan, add the quartered Onions, fry until golden then add to the Chicken.

Blend the Flour with the fat remaining in the pan, stir in the marinade and bring to boiling point, stirring. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan with the Chicken, Onions and Prunes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the Chicken is tender. Check seasoning before serving. Serves 4

indy95, Jun 9, 11:50pm
This is a Jo Seagar recipe :

Orange Liqueur Sugarplum Tart

340g ( approx 2 cups ) plain or orange-flavoured prunes
1/2 c orange liqueur, Cointreau or Grand Marnier or the grated zest and juice of 1 orange
125g flour
600 ml milk
125 g castor sugar
50g butter, melted
3 eggs

Soak the prunes in the liqueur or juice overnight or plump up in a microwave.

In a processor or large bowl combine all the remaining ingredients plus the liquid that the prunes have been soaked in ( but not the prunes ) until you have a smooth batter.

Line a 23 cm springform tin with foil and spray with oil spray. Cover the base with the prunes, pour over the batter and bake at 160C for about 1 1/2 hours until the top is golden brown and the tart is set. Cover if the top is browning too quickly.

Cool in the tin for 1/2 hour then release the tin and remove the foil. Put the tart on a serving dish.

Dust with icing sugar and serve with lightly whipped cream.

juliewn, Jun 10, 11:32am
Great thread Val. :-)

I love prunes too. always have some in the fridge for a nibble forthose nights when 'I've just had dinner and feel like something else'.

Hi Pam :-) - would your Mum mind you sharing her Prune Mousse recipe please. sounds delicious. thanks.

jaybee2003, Jun 10, 12:34pm
I too love prunes, love them as a nibble, along with dried figs. I often have a jar of them soaking in gin for arthritis prevention, [that's my excuse anyway] or in port just because they are yummy. I like the bought ones soaked in orange juice too.I can't help but think of the prune song each time I see this thread title. Search Frank Crumit Prune Song on Youtube to hear it if you are unfamiliar. Ohh bugger it.It's not a recipe, but I will put the lyrics in here:

Nowadays we often gaze
On women over fifty
Without the slightest trace
Of wrinkles on their face
Doctors go and take their dough
To make them young and nifty
But Doctors I defy
To tell me just why
No matter how young a prune may be
It's always full of wrinkles
We may get them on our face
Prunes get 'em every place
Prohibition worries us
But prunes don't sit and brood
For no matter how young a prune may be
It's always getting stewed

In the kingdom of the fruits
The prune is snubbed by others
And they are not allowed
To mingle with the crowd
Though they're never on display
With all their highbrow brothers
They never seem to mind
To this fact they're resigned
That no matter how young a prune may be
It's always full of wrinkles
Beauty treatments always fail
They've tried all to no avail
Other fruits are envious
Because they know real well
That no matter how young a prune may be
Hot water makes 'em swell

Baby prunes look like their dad
But not wrinkled quite as bad

Every day in every way
The world is getting better
We've even learned to fly
As days go passing by
But how about the poor old prune
His life is only wetter
No wonder he can't win
In the awful stew he's in
No matter how young a prune may be
He's always full of wrinkles
We may get them on our face
Prunes get 'em every place
Nothing ever worries them
Their life's an open book
But no matter how young a prune may be
It has a worried look

Prunes act very kind they say
When sickly people moan
But no matter how young a prune may be
It has a heart of stone

jaybee2003, Jun 10, 12:45pm
Robyn Martin's Slowcooker Lamb Shanks with Prunes and Apples.

1½ C pitted prunes, ¼C cider vinegar, *350g packet apples slices, ¼C beef stock, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 bay leaves, large sprig fresh thyme, 1 good-looking lemon, 4 lamb shanks, salt and pepper, fresh mint.

[*Personally I would fly to the moon than use a bought pack of apple slices instead of slicing myself, fresh - but, it is in her recipe so I shall copy it faithfully!]

Place prunes in slow cooker. Mix in vinegar, apple slices and beef stock. Peel onion and chop finely. Crush, peel and finely chop the garlic. Mix into apple mixture with bay leaves and thyme. Thinly pare a strip of lemon rind about 6cm long from the lemon. Squeeze juice from lemon and add to the slow cooker with the rind. Add lamb shanks to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 - 10 hours, turning shanks halfway through cooking if possible. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with mint.

She comments too: This dish is wonderful flamed with brandy. Make sure your slow cooker can cope with such high temperatures or do the flaming in another heatproof dish.

rog.e, Jun 10, 8:45pm
This thread is great. So many ideas.
V

juliewn, Jun 11, 4:42am
* Goes to get a couple of prunes from the fridge* - reading through is tempting my taste buds!

Love your song Jaybee :-)

indy95, Jun 11, 4:46am
There are plenty to come, rog.e, although some more help would be very welcome.

Love the song, jaybee.

elliehen, Jun 11, 8:58am
PRUNE STUFFING FOR ROAST DUCK
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 ounces melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup sliced apple
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 cup cooked prunes
1 lemon rind, grated

Place the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl.Stir in the melted butter with a fork, add the remining ingredients and mix well.

This is from the New Zealand Journal of Agriculture Cookery Book, published 1955

indy95, Jun 13, 10:42pm
This is a NZ House and Garden recipe :

Chocolate, Prune and Whisky Cake

1/2 c chopped prunes
2 T whisky
250 g dark chocolate
200 g butter
4 eggs
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 c SR flour
1/2 c plain flour

Ganache

125 g dark chocolate
20 g butter
1/4 c cream

Soak prunes in whisky for 20 mins. Melt chocolate and butter slowly, stirring until smooth. Add the prunes and whisky and set aside to cool.

Beat eggs and sugar until creamy then beat in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Fold in sifted flours and pour into a greased and
baking paper lined 23 cm springform cake tin.

Bake at 160C for about 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool and cover with ganache.

Ganache

Melt chocolate, butter and cream together, stirring until smooth. Cool then beat until light and fluffy before using on cake.

There is a note with this recipe which says " When completely cold the cake may appear dry but it will have improved by the next day if stored in an airtight container. "

nattles88, Jun 14, 6:12am
Pork with Prunes (for 8 servings)
2kg pork leg roast
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2tsp each salt and pepper
2tbs olive or canola oil
1 cup (200g) prunes
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
1/4 plain flour
1 cup white wine or cider
1 cup chicken stock
1/2tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme

Turn slow cooker to high to warm up and coat the inside of the bowl with a non-stick spray. Pat the pork dry with paper towels, then place in a large plastic bag with the first measure of flour, salt and pepper. Turn the bag so the porkis coated on all sides, then lift it out of the bag, shaking off excess flour.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Add the pork and brown on all sides (hold in pace with tongs if neccessary), then transfer to the slow cooker. Scatter the prunes around the pork, then turn to low.
Heat the remaining oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occaisonally until golden brown. Stir in the second measure of flour, then pour i the wine, stock and salt and pepper. Bring to boils, stirring until smooth.
Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs to the porkin the slow cooker, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-10hours or High for 5 ours.
Serve with mashed potatoes topped with the prune sauce after the bay leaves and thyme have been discarded

rog.e, Jun 19, 5:38am
Yes, yes, yes to that! With cream or icecream or on their own. The simple desserts are great.
V

indy95, Jun 20, 11:55pm
This takes a month to mature but is worth the wait :

Prune Liqueur

500g good quality prunes
1 bottle of red wine of your choice
150g sugar ( or more to taste )
100 - 150 ml rum

Pierce each prune right through with a skewer but don't remove the stones. Put them into a large clean non-reactive container.

Heat the wine and sugar to just below boiling point then remove from the heat and add the rum. Pour this mixture over the prunes so they are all covered. Leave to cool then seal the container and store in a dark place for 1 month or longer.

To serve pour into small glasses, placing a prune impaled on a cocktail stick in each glass if wished. If you do this be sure to tell the drinkers that the stones are still in the prunes.

A nice warming drink to enjoy on these cold nights.

indy95, Jul 5, 12:43am
Prune Lemon and Walnut Bread

100g prunes
Freshly made tea
2 T golden syrup
150 ml milk
250g self raising flour or plain flour and 1.5 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
175 soft brown sugar
75 g walnut pieces
Rind and juice of 2 lemons
1 egg
Icing sugar

Put prunes in a saucepan, just cover with tea and simmer for 30 mins. Drain off the liquid, let the prunes cool and chop into pieces. They won't be completely softened but they aren't supposed to be for this recipe.

Warm the golden syrup and milk together just until combined then let cool.

Combine the flour, baking powder if using, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, prunes and lemon rind in a bowl, then beat in the milk mixture and the egg. Pour into a greased loaf tin which has baking paper on the base and bake at 170C for about 1 hour or until a skewer through the middle comes out clean.

Mix the sieved icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a mixture which spreads easily and spread or drizzle over the loaf. Scatter on a few extra walnut pieces if you like.

This type of loaf is best eaten fresh and can be served plain or buttered.

rog.e, Jul 5, 12:49am
Thanks again all for these great recipes.

I will need a proverbial 'Month of Sundays' to get through all the prubes inviolved in this thread :-)

I used a whole packet up last week.

V
(spelly/typo)

indy95, Jul 5, 12:57am
I think you might need a year of Sundays rog.e. There are a lot of prunes in here !

indy95, Jul 19, 5:18am
I made this at the weekend and it is delicious and just a little different. It is definitely best eaten within a day or two, not that there is any left now to test that theory. I can imagine it would be equally scrummy made with dried apricots.

jubellsrose, Jul 19, 5:38am
Our daughter made us a big fancy jar of these for last Xmas.

elliehen, Jul 19, 6:06am
In bygone days, children used to eat their prunes, then arrange the stones around the rim of the pudding plate and chant Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, Rich man, Poor man, Beggar man, Thief.

If a girl found she had eaten three prunes, she would marry a soldier, seven prunes, a beggar.A boy would count his prune stones and find his vocation - eight prunes and he would be a thief!Girls weren't expected to find vocations; they just found husbands ;)

hezwez, Jul 19, 7:18am
That would certainly limit you to no more than five prunes elliehen.

gr8stuf4me, Jul 22, 5:58am
Hi Cookessentials, would love that compote recipe you were speaking of if its not to much bother - sounds lovely and just right for breaky.Thanks

motorbo, Jul 22, 6:02am
ha ha thats devils on horseback, just what i said above you! they fly off the bbq in summer

gr8stuf4me, Jul 26, 10:21am
Bumping to see if cooks has that lovely sounding compote recipe handy.

cookessentials, Jul 26, 9:47pm
sure, no problem. Just do the amount that you need- I dont really measure. For one that will feed 3-4 people for a day or two. A pack of apricots ( I like the Roxburgh ones personally) a pack of pitted prunes, 2 apples ( granny Smith will do) peeled,cored and quartered,then sliced. Put them into a good sized saucepan with a good squeeze of a lemon ( this will help the apples not go brown) enough runny honey to sweetent to your taste ( I like it slightly tart,so for me about 2 tsp honey) some ground cinnamon, again, to your taste. and enough water to give you a juice once cooked - a bit of trial and error,you can always add a liittle more as you go. Heat on med or a bit higher until it boils, reduce heat a little and simmer for about 5 mins,or until apple is slightly tender. Turn off heat, pop lid on and leave overnight.