Prunes

Page 1 / 7
rog.e, Jun 4, 12:42am
Yes prunes, the old-fashioned dried plums used for cold dwesserts, hot puddings, meat dishes, as a treat, and once given to babies as prune water for constipatopn (mother to eat the actial prines - baby to have 1 teaspoon of water prines cooked in daily lol) Well that's what my Plunkey book says.

I really enjoy prunes and am interested in new recipes if you have any to share on here.
V

red2, Jun 4, 1:06am
I often see them in Moroccan recipes so maybe have google for those . I think Ray McVinnie had a nice recipe for a prune cake too .
You might find this on a recipe search at www.cuisine.co.nz
I love them too ! !

amourette, Jun 4, 1:06am
I throw mine in a smoothie... . . probably not what you are looking for though... ...

red2, Jun 4, 1:08am
just had a look at the Cuisine website and there are quite a few recipes there - just use the keyword prunes and they will come up

rog.e, Jun 4, 1:35am
Oh yes! Great idea!
Thanks
V

daleaway, Jun 4, 1:40am
In Oz you can get lovely chocolate coated prunes.

Prunes are also nice pureed with sour cream (or ordinary whipped cream) as a prune whip dessert, with home-made gingersnaps.

As mentioned above, lovely in a lamb tagine with preserved lemons.

indy95, Jun 4, 5:33am
Well, that's a coincidence, rog. e. I had the same thought this morning when I was looking through some recipes and came across one or two featuring prunes. They are not often mentioned on this board and I think it's time to do something about that.

To start off, they are really delicious simmered, sweetened to taste and flavoured with orange rind and cinnamon. You could add some orange liqueur too if you are lucky enough to have any.

kirinesha, Jun 4, 5:34am
Rog. e - a friend of mine has them recently at a restaurant where they had been partially split open and had chocolate poured into the gap and left to set. Doesn't that sound divine?

grannypam, Jun 4, 5:36am
I love them. .

its just a shame that they dont love me. . lol

kirinesha, Jun 4, 5:38am
Same with so many of the good things in life isn't it GP?

liamjosh, Jun 4, 5:41am
Was only introduced to prunes recently after an op left me slighy bunged up... . yummy yummy yummy, I love them so much. Its such a pity you can't gorge on them

grannypam, Jun 4, 5:46am
yep kiri. .

Love rhubarb too but it has the same effect. . lol

grannypam, Jun 4, 5:48am
after we were married I worked for a while as a kitchen hand at a pub. .

I thought I was in heaven when I found a huge tin of prunes in the pantry. .

oops. . wrong move ! !

rog.e, Jun 4, 6:14am
Prunes take off -----

Cool chat here.
Certainly they are not mch mentioned despite the advert on TV giving taste tests.

My grandson ate them like lollies when he was here for High School and had no problems at all.
Young digestive system I guess.

I think prune and orange muffins would be a delicious taste treat. A whole poached prune in thew ccentre I imagine. What spice goes well?

V

hezwez, Jun 4, 8:13am
Prune Steamed Pudding
1 egg
60 gm butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup prunes (simmered 10 mins and stoned) then mashed.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in milk
Beat egg with sugar. Add melted butter and prunes. Add the sifted flour, salt and baking soda. Place in a greased 600 ml pudding bowl, cover and steam 1 & 1/2 hours.
From Cookbook assembled by Nelson Spinners & Weavers Guild, 1975

indy95, Jun 4, 8:51pm
It certainly does, kirinesha. They are also lovely split open and stuffed with cream cheese sweetened and mixed with orange zest and a little Cointreau. You can top these with blanched toasted almonds if you like.

kirinesha, Jun 4, 10:23pm
We had a retro dinner party and did them stuffed and wrapped in bacon, they were gorgeous!

rog.e, Jun 4, 10:28pm
"Angels on Horseback", I think they are called kirinesha. They are delicious.
V

kirinesha, Jun 4, 10:31pm
That's it Rog. e, they really were great!

daleaway, Jun 4, 11:27pm
I thought prunes in bacon were "Devils on Horseback" and that "Angels on Horseback" were oysters wrapped in bacon.

gavin166, Jun 5, 2:31am
Yup that's my fave. Kids love them too.

rog.e, Jun 5, 2:36am
yes you are right dalewaway. Not sure why I crossed them over lol.
V

indy95, Jun 5, 11:06pm
Prune and Pear Torte Slice

225g good quality stoned prunes
300 ml tea
Lemon juice
450g ripe pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
25g fresh white breadcrumbs
50-75g butter melted
4 large sheets filo pastry approx 25 x 50 cm
3 tbsp apricot jam or quince jelly ( or other jelly )
50 g walnut pieces, toasted
Icing sugar

Roughly chop the prunes and soak overnight in the tea with the juice of half a lemon.

Next day strain the soaking liquid into a pan.

Combine the prunes and the pears with breadcrumbs and juice of the other half of the lemon.

Layer the sheets of filo on a work surface, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Put the filling in a strip along one long edge of the pastry leaving some clear space at each end. Fold the ends in then roll the pastry up to enclose the prune mixture. Lift carefully onto a baking tray and brush over with more melted butter.

Bake at 200C for about 30 mins or until golden brown. Leave to cool.

Brush over with a glaze made by combining the soaking liquid with the jam or jelly and bubbling it down to a syrupy consistency. Brush over the torte and scatter over the walnuts, then brush on the remaining glaze.

Dust on some icing sugar before serving.

rkcroft, Jun 6, 2:50am
I've got a lovely jar of prunes in port in my fridge. They are beautiful on top of rice pudding.
375gm pitted prunes
1 1/2 cups port
2 T brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 whole star anise
Peel from 1/2 lemon thinly sliced
Peel from 1/2 orange thinly sliced
Place prunes in a bowl.
Put rest of ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Pour over the prunes and allow to go cold
Remove cinnamon stick & star anise.
Pour prunes and liquid into a large sterilised jar and seal
Leave to rest 1 week before using
Once opened keep in fridge.
I often double this recipe

rubyjane11, Jun 6, 3:05am
rkcroft... that sounds luscious!