Prunes

Page 2 / 7
nattles88, Jun 6, 7:56am
oh im a lover of prunes myself I have a slow cooker recipe for Bacon-Wrapped frutied chicken rolls, pork with prunes, bacon, potato and prune cake and fruited lamb tagine. i could type any of them up if you like and i sure they could be easily adapted to cook normally if you dont own a slow cooker

jayc14, Jun 6, 8:08am
r. croftLike the idea of prunes in port. I have some sweet port, I guess that would be ok wouldn't it, and if I did several jars how long would they keep before opening.

jayc14, Jun 6, 8:09am
Sorry - rkcroft

wron, Jun 6, 10:19am
Yes please nattles88!
PS I have a neice we used to call nattlebug! ! ! !

beaker59, Jun 6, 11:12am
I use them as a laxative from time to time when needed its a good no chemical solution and very effective just do it early in the evening and don't plan to go out, open a packet sit and watch telly and eat them until you can't eat any more you will be sorted by the evening news. I also soak in vodka as a christmas treat, just add a packet to a jar and tip in a cup of straight vodka leave to soak longer the better but I have eaten them the next day. and the juice left after eating the prunes makes a very tasty little tipple.

rkcroft, Jun 6, 10:19pm
Sweet port will be fine. Port is quite sweet anyway hence the reason its only 2T brown sugar as prunes are very sweet too. If they are kept in properly sterilised sealed jars, then they should keep a few years. I like to bottle my hot so the seal on the jar pops. Otherwise you can always boil them in the jars till the seal pops.

jayc14, Jun 7, 3:55am
Thanks-So they would be ok to put in the smaller jars for gifts etc. , (also some for me)? ? ?

2halls, Jun 7, 4:32am
Prune Muffins (from "mmm Muffins, Shirley Bradstock). These are delicious, I've made them many times. 1 egg, 2T melted butter, 1 c yoghurt, 1/2 t allspice, 2 t baking powder, 1/3c sugar, 1 1/2 c flour. For the filling:1/2 c prune puree, 1 T melted butter, 1 T sugar, 1/2 t cinnamon, 1/4 c chopped walnuts. For the topping:1 t cinnamon, 3 T sugar. Heat oven to 200C. Put first four ingredients for the muffins in a bowl, mix well. Add BP, sugar and flour and lightly mix. Put one spoonful of the muffin mix in the muffin case, drop a small spoonful of the filling on top, top with more of the muffin mix. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar and bake for12 - 15 mins. These are also lovely warm as a dessert.

rog.e, Jun 7, 4:37am
Thanks for thismuffin one 2halls - it is what I was waiting for lol.

There are many very interesting recipes on this thread and I am grateful to each of you. Hope they inspire others as well.

Also - beaker59's handy hunt might be worth rwemembering... ...

V

V

indy95, Jun 7, 5:29am
That certainly does sound like an very effective solution, beaker59, but I couldn't help smiling a little at your comment about not planning to go out that evening. If I had to resort to such drastic action I wouldn't be able to go out for about a week !

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:41am
This was off the trademecooks download - came across it today as i was copying/pasting. I haven't tried it though. There were at least two other prune recipes on there too - will see if I can find them too.

APRICOT & PRUNE LOAF
(From Tina Duncan, White Tie Catering) 200g prunes, roughly chopped; 1/3 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped. Pour over 2/3 cup boiling water and soak until cool (room temperature) 1/2 cup vanilla grape seed oil, or grape seed oil (add vanilla essence or vanilla paste) or canola oil; 1/2 cup raw sugar; 1/4 cup golden syrup; 1 egg. Beat all four above ingredients in a bowl. Add: 1 1/2 cups flour. 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, Pinch salt and 1/2 cup sultanas. Then mix in the mixed apricots and prunes in the soaking water. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour at 180°. (Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before cooling on a rack. It can be a good idea to wrap the loaf in a tea towel to cool to keep it extra moist. Slice and serve plain, or with butter. ) posted by boxsters3

rog.e, Jun 7, 10:45am
Gosh this is good, thanks. V

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:48am
One more, from the same place.

Chocolate & Prune Brownies from Delia Smith...
50gm dark choc, 50gm pitted prunes soaked overnight in 55m brandy, 50gm whole almonds, 110gm butter, 2 large eggs beaten, 225gm demerara sugar, 50gm flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4tsp salt. Soak prunes overnight if desired. Chop almonds and roast in oven for about 8 minutes to help develop flavour. While roasting, melt choc & butter together. Remove from heat and add in rest of ingredients including the liquor the prunes soaked in & the roasted almonds. Mix till well blended. Spread mix into prepared pan and bake @ 180°C for 30mins. posted by rkcroft

jaybee2003, Jun 7, 10:55am
also from trademecooks download:

Pork and Apple Braise
1 tbsp oil, 1 large onion thinly sliced, 1 clove garlic chopped, 2 tsp soft brown sugar, 2 green apples cut into wedges, 4 pork loin steaks or medalions, 2 tbsp brandy, 2 tbsp seeded mustard, 1 c chicken stock, 1/2 c pitted prunes and 1/2 c cream. Heat oil in large pan. Cook onion & garlic for 10 minutes, add sugar & apple. Cook stirring regularly until apple begin to brown. Remove apple & onion from pan. Lightly brown pork two at a time. Then put allpork into pan. Add brandy & stir until all has evaporated. Add mustard & stock. Simmer over low heat covered for 15 minutes. Return the apple & onions to the pan with prunes & cream, simmer for 10 minutes or until pork is tender. Season to taste before serving.
posted by valentino

cookessentials, Jun 7, 10:56am
Mmmmm move... . LOL

cookessentials, Jun 7, 10:57am
I love prunes and often do them in a compote with apricots and sliced apples- beautiful for breakfast. Mum also does a beautiful prune mousse.

unknowndisorder, Jun 7, 11:07am
I used to not mind prunes (mum fed them to me whenever she was on whatever diet), but had an operation last year, drank a glass of prune juice with my MIL, who'd picked me up from the hospital, and had a panicked phone call a couple of hours later, telling me to throw the bottle she'd given me as it had worked too well on her.
Must ask her what was wrong, as it didn't affect me (I know she ended up going to the doctor about it). Somehow now, the thought of prunes just doesn't appeal.

indy95, Jun 8, 4:18am
This recipe comes from Taste magazine for August 2009 :

Tea soaked Fruit in Red Wine Glaze

2 c hot fragrant tea
3/4 c pitted prunes
1 c dried apricots
1/2 c red wine
2 T sugar
Thick Greek yoghurt or lightly whipped cream to serve

Make a pot of fresh tea. Put prunes and apricots in a bowl and pour over 2 cups of the hot tea. Let this soak overnight.

Put the soaked fruit and half the liquid in a frying pan with the wine and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved then simmer for 10 minutes spooning the syrup over the fruit occasionally. Leave to cool.

Serve with the yoghurt or cream and sprinkle over raw pistachios or other nuts or seeds if liked.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 4:24am
CHICKEN WITH PRUNES

4 Chicken Joints
4 oz (100g) Prunes
1 Onion, sliced
1 Bay Leaf
6 Peppercorns
1/2 pint (300ml) Red Wine
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 oz (25g) Butter
4 Onions, quartered
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1/4 pint (150ml) Chicken Stock
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 rounded Tablespoon Redcurrent Jelly

Put the Chicken in a pan with the Prunes, sliced Onion, Bay Leaf, Peppercorns and Wine. Bring slowly to the boil, then cool. Turn into a bowl, cover and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Strain the marinade, stone the Prunes and reserve the liquid.

Heat the Oil in a pan, add the Butter, then the Chicken Joints and fry quickly until golden brown, turning once. Remove the Joints from the pan, add the quartered Onions, fry until golden then add to the Chicken.

Blend the Flour with the fat remaining in the pan, stir in the marinade and bring to boiling point, stirring. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan with the Chicken, Onions and Prunes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the Chicken is tender. Check seasoning before serving. Serves 4

indy95, Jun 9, 11:50pm
This is a Jo Seagar recipe :

Orange Liqueur Sugarplum Tart

340g ( approx 2 cups ) plain or orange-flavoured prunes
1/2 c orange liqueur, Cointreau or Grand Marnier or the grated zest and juice of 1 orange
125g flour
600 ml milk
125 g castor sugar
50g butter, melted
3 eggs

Soak the prunes in the liqueur or juice overnight or plump up in a microwave.

In a processor or large bowl combine all the remaining ingredients plus the liquid that the prunes have been soaked in ( but not the prunes ) until you have a smooth batter.

Line a 23 cm springform tin with foil and spray with oil spray. Cover the base with the prunes, pour over the batter and bake at 160C for about 1 1/2 hours until the top is golden brown and the tart is set. Cover if the top is browning too quickly.

Cool in the tin for 1/2 hour then release the tin and remove the foil. Put the tart on a serving dish.

Dust with icing sugar and serve with lightly whipped cream.

juliewn, Jun 10, 11:32am
Great thread Val. . :-)

I love prunes too. . always have some in the fridge for a nibble forthose nights when 'I've just had dinner and feel like something else'. .

Hi Pam :-) - would your Mum mind you sharing her Prune Mousse recipe please. . sounds delicious. . thanks. .

jaybee2003, Jun 10, 12:34pm
I too love prunes, love them as a nibble, along with dried figs. I often have a jar of them soaking in gin for arthritis prevention, [that's my excuse anyway] or in port just because they are yummy. I like the bought ones soaked in orange juice too. I can't help but think of the prune song each time I see this thread title. Search Frank Crumit Prune Song on Youtube to hear it if you are unfamiliar. Ohh bugger it. . It's not a recipe, but I will put the lyrics in here:

Nowadays we often gaze
On women over fifty
Without the slightest trace
Of wrinkles on their face
Doctors go and take their dough
To make them young and nifty
But Doctors I defy
To tell me just why
No matter how young a prune may be
It's always full of wrinkles
We may get them on our face
Prunes get 'em every place
Prohibition worries us
But prunes don't sit and brood
For no matter how young a prune may be
It's always getting stewed

In the kingdom of the fruits
The prune is snubbed by others
And they are not allowed
To mingle with the crowd
Though they're never on display
With all their highbrow brothers
They never seem to mind
To this fact they're resigned
That no matter how young a prune may be
It's always full of wrinkles
Beauty treatments always fail
They've tried all to no avail
Other fruits are envious
Because they know real well
That no matter how young a prune may be
Hot water makes 'em swell

Baby prunes look like their dad
But not wrinkled quite as bad

Every day in every way
The world is getting better
We've even learned to fly
As days go passing by
But how about the poor old prune
His life is only wetter
No wonder he can't win
In the awful stew he's in
No matter how young a prune may be
He's always full of wrinkles
We may get them on our face
Prunes get 'em every place
Nothing ever worries them
Their life's an open book
But no matter how young a prune may be
It has a worried look

Prunes act very kind they say
When sickly people moan
But no matter how young a prune may be
It has a heart of stone

jaybee2003, Jun 10, 12:45pm
Robyn Martin's Slowcooker Lamb Shanks with Prunes and Apples.

1½ C pitted prunes, ¼C cider vinegar, *350g packet apples slices, ¼C beef stock, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 bay leaves, large sprig fresh thyme, 1 good-looking lemon, 4 lamb shanks, salt and pepper, fresh mint.

[*Personally I would fly to the moon than use a bought pack of apple slices instead of slicing myself, fresh - but, it is in her recipe so I shall copy it faithfully! ]

Place prunes in slow cooker. Mix in vinegar, apple slices and beef stock. Peel onion and chop finely. Crush, peel and finely chop the garlic. Mix into apple mixture with bay leaves and thyme. Thinly pare a strip of lemon rind about 6cm long from the lemon. Squeeze juice from lemon and add to the slow cooker with the rind. Add lamb shanks to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 - 10 hours, turning shanks halfway through cooking if possible. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with mint.

She comments too: This dish is wonderful flamed with brandy. Make sure your slow cooker can cope with such high temperatures or do the flaming in another heatproof dish.

rog.e, Jun 10, 8:45pm
This thread is great. So many ideas.
V

juliewn, Jun 11, 4:42am
* Goes to get a couple of prunes from the fridge* - reading through is tempting my taste buds!

Love your song Jaybee :-)