Prunes

Page 3 / 7
indy95, Jun 11, 4:46am
There are plenty more to come, rog. e.

Love the song, jaybee.

motorbo, Jun 11, 5:33am
devils on horseback, the only way to truly eat them ummmmmmmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmmoooooooo

elliehen, Jun 11, 8:58am
PRUNE STUFFING FOR ROAST DUCK
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 ounces melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup sliced apple
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 cup cooked prunes
1 lemon rind, grated

Place the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl. Stir in the melted butter with a fork, add the remining ingredients and mix well.

This is from the New Zealand Journal of Agriculture Cookery Book, published 1955

aeh2, Jun 11, 9:41am
For something quick and easy, wrap bacon around them, spike with a toothpick, and back until bacon is nice and crispy. It's an awesome treat!

indy95, Jun 13, 10:42pm
This is a NZ House and Garden recipe :

Chocolate, Prune and Whisky Cake

1/2 c chopped prunes
2 T whisky
250 g dark chocolate
200 g butter
4 eggs
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1 c SR flour
1/2 c plain flour

Ganache

125 g dark chocolate
20 g butter
1/4 c cream

Soak prunes in whisky for 20 mins. Melt chocolate and butter slowly, stirring until smooth. Add the prunes and whisky and set aside to cool.

Beat eggs and sugar until creamy then beat in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Fold in sifted flours and pour into a greased and
baking paper lined 23 cm springform cake tin.

Bake at 160C for about 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool and cover with ganache.

Ganache

Melt chocolate, butter and cream together, stirring until smooth. Cool then beat until light and fluffy before using on cake.

There is a note with this recipe which says " When completely cold the cake may appear dry but it will have improved by the next day if stored in an airtight container. "

nattles88, Jun 14, 6:12am
Pork with Prunes (for 8 servings)
2kg pork leg roast
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2tsp each salt and pepper
2tbs olive or canola oil
1 cup (200g) prunes
2 medium onions, quartered and sliced
1/4 plain flour
1 cup white wine or cider
1 cup chicken stock
1/2tsp salt
pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme

Turn slow cooker to high to warm up and coat the inside of the bowl with a non-stick spray. Pat the pork dry with paper towels, then place in a large plastic bag with the first measure of flour, salt and pepper. Turn the bag so the porkis coated on all sides, then lift it out of the bag, shaking off excess flour.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Add the pork and brown on all sides (hold in pace with tongs if neccessary), then transfer to the slow cooker. Scatter the prunes around the pork, then turn to low.
Heat the remaining oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occaisonally until golden brown. Stir in the second measure of flour, then pour i the wine, stock and salt and pepper. Bring to boils, stirring until smooth.
Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs to the porkin the slow cooker, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-10hours or High for 5 ours.
Serve with mashed potatoes topped with the prune sauce after the bay leaves and thyme have been discarded

juliewn, Jun 15, 4:49am
Bumping for Jed :-)

byrdeez, Jun 19, 5:00am
Prunes and custard are delish for pudding

rog.e, Jun 19, 5:38am
Yes, yes, yes to that! With cream or icecream or on their own. The simple desserts are great.
V

indy95, Jun 20, 11:55pm
This takes a month to mature but is worth the wait :

Prune Liqueur

500g good quality prunes
1 bottle of red wine of your choice
150g sugar ( or more to taste )
100 - 150 ml rum

Pierce each prune right through with a skewer but don't remove the stones. Put them into a large clean non-reactive container.

Heat the wine and sugar to just below boiling point then remove from the heat and add the rum. Pour this mixture over the prunes so they are all covered. Leave to cool then seal the container and store in a dark place for 1 month or longer.

To serve pour into small glasses, placing a prune impaled on a cocktail stick in each glass if wished. If you do this be sure to tell the drinkers that the stones are still in the prunes.

A nice warming drink to enjoy on these cold nights.

indy95, Jul 5, 12:43am
Prune Lemon and Walnut Bread

100g prunes
Freshly made tea
2 T golden syrup
150 ml milk
250g self raising flour or plain flour and 1. 5 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
175 soft brown sugar
75 g walnut pieces
Rind and juice of 2 lemons
1 egg
Icing sugar

Put prunes in a saucepan, just cover with tea and simmer for 30 mins. Drain off the liquid, let the prunes cool and chop into pieces. They won't be completely softened but they aren't supposed to be for this recipe.

Warm the golden syrup and milk together just until combined then let cool.

Combine the flour, baking powder if using, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, prunes and lemon rind in a bowl, then beat in the milk mixture and the egg. Pour into a greased loaf tin which has baking paper on the base and bake at 170C for about 1 hour or until a skewer through the middle comes out clean.

Mix the sieved icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a mixture which spreads easily and spread or drizzle over the loaf. Scatter on a few extra walnut pieces if you like.

This type of loaf is best eaten fresh and can be served plain or buttered.

rog.e, Jul 5, 12:49am
Thanks again all for these great recipes.

I will need a proverbial 'Month of Sundays' to get through all the prubes inviolves in this thread :-)

I used a whole packe up last week.

V

indy95, Jul 5, 12:57am
I think you might need a year of Sundays rog. e. There are a lot of prunes in here !

indy95, Jul 19, 5:18am
I made this at the weekend and it is delicious and just a little different. It is definitely best eaten within a day or two, not that there is any left now to test that theory. I can imagine it would be equally scrummy made with dried apricots.

jubellsrose, Jul 19, 5:38am
Our daughter made us a big fancy jar of these for last Xmas.

elliehen, Jul 19, 6:06am
In bygone days, children used to eat their prunes, then arrange the stones around the rim of the pudding plate and chant Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor, Rich man, Poor man, Beggar man, Thief.

If a girl found she had eaten three prunes, she would marry a soldier, seven prunes, a beggar... A boy would count his prune stones and find his vocation - eight prunes and he would be a thief! Girls weren't expected to find vocations; they just found husbands ;)

hezwez, Jul 19, 7:18am
That would certainly limit you to no more than five prunes elliehen.

gr8stuf4me, Jul 22, 5:58am
Hi Cookessentials, would love that compote recipe you were speaking of if its not to much bother - sounds lovely and just right for breaky. Thanks

motorbo, Jul 22, 6:02am
ha ha thats devils on horseback, just what i said above you! they fly off the bbq in summer

gr8stuf4me, Jul 26, 10:21am
Bumping to see if cooks has that lovely sounding compote recipe handy.

pam.delilah, Jul 26, 9:21pm
to make prunes more trendythey are now called dried plums( which they are), LOL

cookessentials, Jul 26, 9:47pm
sure, no problem. Just do the amount that you need- I dont really measure. For one that will feed 3-4 people for a day or two. A pack of apricots ( I like the Roxburgh ones personally) a pack of pitted prunes, 2 apples ( granny Smith will do) peeled, cored and quartered, then sliced. Put them into a good sized saucepan with a good squeeze of a lemon ( this will help the apples not go brown) enough runny honey to sweetent to your taste ( I like it slightly tart, so for me about 2 tsp honey) some ground cinnamon, again, to your taste. and enough water to give you a juice once cooked - a bit of trial and error, you can always add a liittle more as you go. Heat on med or a bit higher until it boils, reduce heat a little and simmer for about 5 mins, or until apple is slightly tender. Turn off heat, pop lid on and leave overnight.

gr8stuf4me, Jul 27, 10:02am
Hi Cooks, thanks so much, I like a good compote but dont know much about making them so your recipe is very much appreciated. Will give it a go. Thanks

cookessentials, Jul 27, 7:14pm
Noproblem, hope you enjoy it. I also do plums when they are plentiful-into a pan whole with a little water and a small amount of caster sugar ( dissolves quicker) bring to boil same as above, lid on, switch off till morning. They are lovely as they are slightly tart.

indy95, Jul 28, 12:41am
I have just finished checking through a pile of NZ House and
Garden before giving them to a worthy cause and found yet another prune recipe:

Pork and Prune Terrine

1 kg pork mince
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 t salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 t fresh thyme leaves
2 t fresh parsley chopped
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1 egg
1 T lemon rind finely grated
3 T brandy
75-100g pork fillet cut into strips
240g pitted prunes
About 300g streaky bacon ( enough to line terrine )
Bay leaves for garnish

Combine all ingredients down to and including brandy very well. Clean hands work best for this.

Line a 1 litre terrine or loaf pan with streaky bacon strips, leaving long ends hanging over sides. Put half the mince mixture in pan, top with half the prunes, pressing down gently. Lay on the pork fillet strips then the rest of the prunes. Top with the remaining mince mixture, fold the bacon over to seal and arrange bay leaves on top.

Cover with a double layer of foil or a lid. Stand in a dish of water and bake at 180C for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until cooked through and the terrine feels firm when pressed. Leave to cool sitting in the water with the lid on. When cold wrap loaf well in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a day to allow flavours to develop and the texture to settle.

Will keep for several days in fridge.