Prunes

Page 7 / 7
gr8stuf4me, Jul 27, 10:02am
Hi Cooks, thanks so much, I like a good compote but dont know much about making them so your recipe is very much appreciated.Will give it a go.Thanks

cookessentials, Jul 27, 7:14pm
Noproblem, hope you enjoy it. I also do plums when they are plentiful-into a pan whole with a little water and a small amount of caster sugar ( dissolves quicker) bring to boil same as above, lid on, switch off till morning. They are lovely as they are slightly tart.

indy95, Jul 28, 12:41am
I have just finished checking through a pile of NZ House and
Garden before giving them to a worthy cause and found yet another prune recipe:

Pork and Prune Terrine

1 kg pork mince
1 small onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 t salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 t fresh thyme leaves
2 t fresh parsley chopped
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1 egg
1 T lemon rind finely grated
3 T brandy
75-100g pork fillet cut into strips
240g pitted prunes
About 300g streaky bacon ( enough to line terrine )
Bay leaves for garnish

Combine all ingredients down to and including brandy very well. Clean hands work best for this.

Line a 1 litre terrine or loaf pan with streaky bacon strips, leaving long ends hanging over sides. Put half the mince mixture in pan, top with half the prunes, pressing down gently. Lay on the pork fillet strips then the rest of the prunes. Top with the remaining mince mixture, fold the bacon over to seal and arrange bay leaves on top.

Cover with a double layer of foil or a lid. Stand in a dish of water and bake at 180C for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours until cooked through and the terrine feels firm when pressed. Leave to cool sitting in the water with the lid on. When cold wrap loaf well in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a day to allow flavours to develop and the texture to settle.

Will keep for several days in fridge.

jubre, Jul 28, 4:47am
I snack on them, straight out of the packet when I crave something sweet. Always have some in my pantry.

gr8stuf4me, Aug 1, 7:59am
Hi All, just a note to say Im making your compote tonight cooks and leaving it overnight to have for breaky.Its on the stove cooking away as I type this.So will let you know how I enjoy it in the morning but even now it looks lovely.

cookessentials, Aug 2, 10:04am
so.how did you enjoy your compote gr8stuf4me!

gr8stuf4me, Aug 2, 9:59pm
Ohh it was lovely cooks - is just beauty first thing in the morning - I really enjoyed it - thank you for sharing.And its great that I can just cook it and leave it sitting overnight too.

indy95, Aug 12, 12:44am
This comes from Delia Smith's Christmas :

Prune Ice Cream

350 g no-soak prunes
275 ml water
25 g soft brown sugar
600 ml milk
4 egg yolks
110 g castor sugar
1 rounded t custard powder or cornflour
2 T brandy
150 ml cream

Bring prunes, brown sugar and water to boil and simmer covered about 5 mins, then uncover and simmer a further 5 mins or until plumped up and tender. Cover and leave until cold.

Drain the prunes and puree in a blender with the milk until smooth, then sieve to remove any pieces of skin.

Whisk egg yolks, custard powder or cornflour and castor sugar together. Bring prune/milk mixture to boil and pour onto egg mixture, whisking. Return to pan and bring back to simmer, stirring until a smooth custard is formed. Leave to cool, then add brandy and the lightly whipped cream.

Pour into a container and freeze until almost solid, whisk thoroughly, then freeze until ready to use. Remove from freezer 30 mins before serving.

Edited to add this would go well with cookessentials Prune Compote and also with poached pears or apples.

cookessentials, Aug 12, 3:14am
That sounds quite tasty.

indy95, Aug 12, 4:13am
Yes, it does, and can't you just see the faces when you tell people that it's PRUNE ice cream !

indy95, Oct 25, 5:08am
Ths is worth bumping. There are some really good recipes in here.

korbo, Oct 25, 7:58am
i just put the prunes in a jar, and pour over either port or sherry.
i also do dried apricots in brandy.
have a jar of each in the pantry, must be a few years, but seem to still do the trick.lol

greerg, Oct 26, 3:03am
We stayed near Agen in Southern France a few years ago.The area is famous for its prunes and the chocoalte coats ones were delicious.Luckily my digestion coped well but it was as well for my weight that we only had a week.I have tried coating Sunsweet prunes with good dark chocolate and they were good but not as good as the French ones.I guess there's a reasoon why those ones are famous.

indy95, Oct 26, 5:05am
I believe they are beautiful, greeg. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to find out for myself one day.

bev00, Oct 26, 10:11am
recycling all the great recipes

rog.e, Nov 7, 4:48am
Yum another recipe.

I have two packs of ready-to-eat prunes and can make a loaf as above no problems tomorrow when I get some eggs.
Thanks.
V

indy95, Dec 18, 4:25am
Rog.e, just want to ask if you made the loaf recipe I posted and if so what you thought of it !