You great cooks..soup recipe using bacon hocks?

thedollshouse, May 23, 1:46am
x1
I bought a couple of bacon hocks thinking I could make a lovely soup but has anyone got some nice recipes for me please?

lilyfield, May 23, 2:01am
bag of splitpeas(green ones) 2 carrots- some celery sticks -onion bayleaf 2 cloves. Boil in crockpot till very tender. fish out bone and flake. Run stickmixer through soup. add meat, season.
Can do the same with lentils.
or just all vegie- add anything you want to it. Who needs recipes...

raewyn64, May 23, 2:14am
x1
I use kings mix - put mix in pot with water, add bacon hock, some carrots, celery, sometimes I add a tin of beans. When the bacon hock has been in till tender, take it out - cut off the meat in chunks, put back into soup pot and all done. I don't blend mine - had some today for lunch. I also put the bottom of the celery in for a while just for more flavour and then fish that out later.
I freeze the soup down in icecream containers after - they are just right for lunches on cold weekends.

beaker59, May 23, 2:27am
x1
I tend to not use dried peas lentils etc but rather just simmer the hock for an hour or two with a couple of chops onions and a few fresh bay leaves. then remove bones and chop meat up a bit then go through the vege bin and evrything spare goes in like kumara pumkin potato leeks carrots celery onions garlic cabbage broccolli Kamokamo etc etc normally I cut into good sized pieces as we like our soups chunky I will tie up a bunch of herbs which aways includes lemon grass stalks sage and rosemary and plenty of thyme(its removed before serving) I also add very finely chopped fresh ginger and a chilli then season well and simmer for a further hour or so. There are no hard and fast rules apart from the long simmer of the bones to make the stock.

jaybee2003, May 23, 4:48am
Pumpkin & Bacon Creamy Soup [Crockpot]. I have a pot of this cooking at the moment. If the weather forecasters are right, this will be enough to last us for lunches through the upcoming cold week.

Ingredients: 30g butter, 1 tsp chicken stock powder, 1kg pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm squares, 2 carrots, peeled and diced small 1/2cm squares, 1 medium onion whole, 2 – 3 whole cloves, 3 C boiling water, Bacon or ham bones.
Milk or coconut milk, Nutmeg, Chopped parsley, Dollop of sour cream

Heat crockpot on high. Add butter. Once melted, add pumpkin, carrot, and chicken stock powder, stirring to coat evenly. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. [This intensifies the flavour]. Leaving the onion whole, cut small slits and push in the cloves. Add onion, bacon bones and the boiling water to the pumpkin, stir, cover and leave to cook on high for 4 – 5 hours [or low for 8 – 9 hours. ]Remove bones and onion. Add meat from bones to soup [or do this after pureeing]. Puree/blend. If wanting to freeze, freeze at this stage.

To serve: Add milk, heat through but do not boil. Add a dollop of sour cream to each portion when serving, adding a small shake of nutmeg and chopped parsley.

Hints for Pumpkin soup: Sugar can added to taste if needed. Carrot is for colour - use particularly if pumpkins have green under the skin, that is, are not 100% ripened. Carrot not so necessary if using butternut pumpkin. If excluding bacon or ham bones, increase chicken stock powder by 2 tsp. If pumpkin is a pale watery one, add extra carrot for colour and a large potato for thickening. Can add curry powder for a touch of heat if wanted - but added spices will intensify if freezing and or 'brown' soup - best to add to taste when heating before serving or top sprinkle in the case of nutmeg.

margyr, May 23, 5:17am
i cook my hocks till the meat is really tender, remove from pot, then add soup mix to that water, in another pot i cook all my vege, pumpkin, celery, swede, carrot, onion, potato, salt and pepper, worcester sauce, soya sauce, silverbeet, spinach whatever, then when they are all cooked i mash them in the water they have cooked in and add that to the ham water, have removed meat from bones by this time and add that back in also, sometimes i will also break up long spaghetti or add macoroni. and cook till thick and yummy. Mind you I only eat the meat with some bread and butter. , the famlily and visitors can eat the soup.

cherrie24, May 23, 8:55am
I made this soup today - it is really yummy - Golden Pea Soup with Bacon!
400g yellow split peas, 1 bacon hock, 1 large carrot cut into 1cm cubes, 1 medium onion, finely chopped, 1 tsp dried thyme, 708 cups hot chicken or vege stock, 1 cup finely chopped spinach leaves, 2 tbsp sherry (optional)
Place split peas, bacon hock, carrot, onion, thyme and stock in slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook 6-7 hours on high. 15 mins before end remove bacon hock from cooker, peel off rind and discard. Shred meat from the bone, remove fat and return to slow cooker. Stir in spinach leaves and sherry, cover with lid and cook 15 mins more. Season with salt and pepper.
It didn't say in the recipe but when I took the bacon hock out I blended it with a stick blender to make nice and smooth instead of having the chunks of carrots/onion - really nice texture to it.

cookessentials, May 23, 9:34pm
Pam's Ham Hock Soup

Not sure if you have a crockpot, but if you do, pop your hock into the crockpot and cover with water. Cook till meat falls off bone ( I usually do this overnight so it's ready to prepare the following day)
Remove the hock and with a slotted spoon, fish around the liquid and remove any bits of bone, skin and meat that has fallen off. Now, you can either wait for the liquid to go cold and take any fat off the top, or just remove any visible bits of fat off the top ( a folded piece of bread will do the trick - just skim gently across the top to soak up the fatty layer. To the liquid, add 1x lge chopped onion, a can of chopped tomatoes, 1-2 kumara, peeled and choped into fairly large dice. 1-2 potatoes chopped the same as the kumara, 1-2 swede peeled and chopped the same. 1-2 carrots peeled and sliced thickly, 1 litre container of Campbells chicken or vege stock and a good tbsp of tomato paste. Break up the meat from the ham hock and add this into the crockpot ( or stock pot) with the vege. Cook on high till vege are tender. Then add about 1-2 cups of either macaroni or spiral pasta if you like, this will make the soup lovely and thcik once it has cooked through. Season well with pepper ( you probably wont need salt as the stock should gove you enough flavour, but add it to your taste if you think it needs it. )Continue cooking slowly till pasta is cooked through. Serve with fresh crusty bread or make a nice garlic bread loaf and serve warm with the soup.

marywea, May 23, 10:44pm
Annabelle White talked about this at the food fair. Tips. . don't add salt till after lentils are cooked, it prevents them breaking down. After a couple of hours boiling bone and lentils add carrot and onion that have been diced then whizzed in food processor. Boil 30min. I thought this good for any veg. soup so you get the even "density"? ? you want without the stick. There was no carrot or onion visible in mine so maybe a way to hide veg. from chilren. Next time I will leave them a little bigger.

daleaway, May 24, 2:17am
Italian bacon, bean and pasta soup
A flexible recipe

Use the ham hocks/bacon ends /whatever to make stock, and dice the cooked meat to put back into the soup.
Fry up some chopped peppers, tomatoes, chopped spinach or silver beet (well any veg you like, really, except potato or kumara because the pasta provides enough starch) in a little olive oil. Quantities not important.
Add to the stock with a good handful ofpasta - little pasta works best. I use risone, or tiny conchiglia (sp? ). Add a drained tin of white beans or mixed beans. I daresay you could even try baked beans if needs must.
Taste it and stick in a herb or two if you think it needs extra flavour. Basil, parsley, oregano, whatever. Add water if it's too salty. You know the drill.
Everyone seems to like this soup.

korbo, May 25, 8:02am
cherrie... 708 cups chicken stock is a lot, how much did you mean. ? ?

cookessentials, May 25, 8:20am
probably 780mls

beaker59, Jun 7, 3:54pm
probably 7 or 8 cups ?