Crumpet recipes?

watertank1, May 15, 7:58am
Has anyone got a recipe that turn out like the store brought ones? Have just tried a recipe off google and it just turned out like mini round fried bread... ... ... . maybe i did something wrong but i am normally pretty good at following recipes. Thanks

waswoods, May 15, 8:46am
Possibly because crumpets in some countries are what's known as pikelets here

cookessentials, May 15, 8:52am
No, a good English crumpet is what you want - just like the "golden crumpets" you can buy at the supermarket. I do have a recipe. Have sold out of the muffin rings at present though.

cookessentials, May 15, 9:03am
This is the recipe you want- I had to go hunting for it in ont of my old books. After they are cooked, toast them and serve hot with butter. These are slightly softer thaan the commercial variety.
CRUMPETS
4 cups plain flour
tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3 cups lukewarm water
15g compressed yeast (1 tsp dry yeast - sift in with dry ingredients)
Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into large bowl. Dissolve yeast in warm water add to dry ingredients, beat till smooth.
Crumpets can be cooked in a lightly greased frying pan or electric frying pan. If using electric fry pan, heat to 260F Lightly grease muffin rings, put them in the pan to heat through. When hot, 3/4 fill with rings with batter. Allow to cook over a low heat for approx 10 mins or until surface is coveredwith holes. Remove rings. Cover pan and cook a further 2 - 3 mins. or until surface has set. Remove from pan , cool on a wire rack. When cold, toast and serve hot with butter.

cookessentials, May 15, 9:18am
hoping you get this #1

watertank1, May 15, 8:10pm
oh thanks cookessentials! ! ! I will give that a go. The recipe i used didnt have baking powder so that will make a big difference! ! Thanks again will let you know how they turn out!

cookessentials, May 16, 6:53am
Good on you. They are a great crumpet. Have had them with honey butter at one of our local cafe's in Martinborough.

bin-boy-lin, May 16, 7:29am
May I question this temp, is it F or C. ? ? Thanks.

Quote : If using electric fry pan, heat to 260F

cookessentials, May 16, 7:41am
it is def "F" - for electric frypan -- in "C" it would be roughly 140

bin-boy-lin, May 16, 7:50am
Okie dokie, thanks.

cookessentials, May 7, 6:12pm
No worries, the recipe is an Australian Womens Weekly recipe that I have from the early eighties and it does say farenheit in regards to the electric frypan temp. No doubt, if you are using one, you will find the temp that suits you best as you fiddle about with it.