Apricot jam not setting.

devine-spark, Jan 15, 11:28pm
Spent the day yesterday slogging over a full 10kgs of apricots. Put 4 litres into freezer for crumbles, and the rest into jam. Now it just won't set! Thinking I might have to redo. What do I need to do to get it to set?

strowan1, Jan 16, 12:33am
Hate to say it but you might have to reboil it. Hesitant about adding any more sugar, although that often helps, I’d add some lemon juice. Give it a good boil, watch it doesn’t catch, good luck. You could as a second option freeze it, I personally haven’t done this but many posters do, an alternative maybe?

devine-spark, Jan 16, 2:12am
I keep seeing that pectin is the thing to add. but would like to hear from others who may have done so?

jaky, Jan 16, 2:38am
You could reheat it & use that hansels jam setting mix. It may catch though being reheated in a pot?

devine-spark, Jan 16, 3:13am
I think I will have to give it a go.

nauru, Jan 16, 8:17am
I add Hansells Jam setta to my jams, that helps it set and you don't have to cook it as long so it makes a better jam. As jaky said you could try adding it to your jam and recooking it.

devine-spark, Jan 16, 10:50am
Thanks - I will do that.

porsche9, Jan 16, 3:57pm
First thing, Jam that won't set means to me that fruit was not fully ripe in the first place and then when you start making it, setting becomes a huge setting problem. Lemon juice is the key to helping set as it is the cheapest alternative. it cld mean jam may be a bit sour but best option. We've all been there with this problem. Lastly, don't do too much fruit at the one time, try half and learn from that attempt. Good luck.

crazynana, Jan 18, 1:44am
I make marmalade from lemons only as we have a really good tree. I use Jam Sugar and it works really well. I made some Strawberry jam too and used the same sugar and it set like magic.

fifie, Nov 3, 10:12am
Make sure your fruit is nice and ripe, and throw in a sliced lemon, sets no trouble.