This is not a recipe thread - it's about plastic.

Page 2 / 2
olwen, Jun 1, 7:59pm

olwen, Jun 1, 8:03pm
My favourite bag. Not commercially viable. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/803755559.jpg

ange164, Jun 1, 10:45pm
Here's my idea, what if they made themselves a depository for empty bread bags, and re-used those? they're mostly clear.

Another idea is get in touch with below stockists and see if they have access to any clear compost-able bags, or accept that see through is not going to happen and use what compost-able bags are already on the market. People won't need to see whats in it, if they can trust the seller to only put in premium specimens, not try to flog off the old stock in disguise.

Compostable veggie bags - not see through
https://ecobags.co.nz/product/ed-8000-compostable-vege-bag/ https://www.greenelephant.co.nz/marketplace/home-and-garden/garden-and-outdoor-living/composting-and-waste/

pamellie, Jun 1, 11:47pm
My sister in law gets hers delivered in cardboard boxes instead.
Next time you do an order ask if they can do this for you. Only problem is she then has a huge pile of cardboard to dispose of but she can put it out in her recycling.

cosimo, Jun 2, 2:34am
A lot of bags (compostable, string, whatever) other than plastic are simply not practical because of cost. You can't put $1.99 worth of fruit in a reusable bag that costs over $1.00. But if each buyer re-used each bag, that immediately halves the number of bags going into the sea (or landfill).

I remember years ago paying 3 or 4 times as much to buy bulk 'biodegradable bags' to replace the singlet bags I used. And now, of course, those 'biodegradable' bags are themselves suspect because they degrade into minute particles.

cosimo, Jun 2, 2:39am
I don't think that would work. Being able to see what you are buying is important, and being able to seal the bags is as well, otherwise the local kids might nick a plum or two from each bag and the buyers end up being short-changed.

I love the thinking that's going on, though. Keep it coming,,,,,

pickles7, Jun 2, 5:39am
great thread. cosimo. got us thinking of just how much we have got used to plastic bags.

davidt4, Jun 2, 9:49pm

cosimo, Jun 2, 10:33pm
Very interesting, and in part, the reasoning behind not wanting to use paper bags instead of plastic ones.

Perhaps I will refer this article to my fruit shop owners, and they can rest easy about selling cheap reusable shopping totes - or even supplying single use bags to the terminally unaware - and continue to bag their small stuff in small plastic bags.

cosimo, Jun 16, 4:56am
Update: While shopping this morning, I saw this sign outside the fruit shop:

Plastic free fruit and veges.

They now have the fruit in the outside bins loose, and no longer sealed in single use bags. They provide a small bag for buyers to fill while selecting their produce (in addition to the basket), but then tip the produce into the buyers own bag - and reuse the small bag.

They very quickly sold all the re-usable bags I sold them (cost price) and have asked for more.

They are brave - less than usual of the outside stuff is selling, but it is early days.

The world is turning.

rainrain1, Jun 16, 5:08am
They (the check out people) would be taught to pack it that way! I don't mean each item in a single bag, but you wouldn't want the smelly soap powder in with your raw chicken would you?

cosimo, Jun 16, 5:31am
I have three re-usable bags. Enough to separate the meat, the veges and the packaged stuff (where the soap powder goes). After all, it's a local shop and I am home in less than 15 minutes.

unknowndisorder, Jun 16, 6:38am
In Countdown Upper Hutt they were selling reusable produce bags, I think about $8-9 for three (was in March, and I was on a mission so only glanced and thought it was a brilliant idea and that I would buy some when I got home). But I have not seen them at any other supermarket that I frequent.

cosimo, Jun 16, 6:57am
That sounds quite expensive. Were they see through? I can't think of anything but plastic that is completely clear.

I am guilty of putting bulk nuts etc into the zip bags provided. Then I decant them into my jars and chuck the bags out. I wonder how practical it would be to save the bag for each kind of nut (known only by the code) to use the next time? Bit of a stretch, I think.

rainrain1, Jun 16, 6:58am
You must have some fussy old tarts up your way ;-)

trah, Aug 25, 1:54am
Wow, how interesting! Especially comparing the composition and use of a supermarket bag versus bin liner.