Ginger Crunch.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 21, 6:14am
I have just made ginger crunch, the base was very wet so I had to add more oats, when I made the icing it was 150gms of butter! It was floating on the top of the icing so I add more icing sugar' when poured on the base it rose to the top and I had to blot it off with paper towel, it was Chelsea Winters recipe and I google others and all didnt have this much butter, Annabelle Langbein is my favourite and very similar so will stick with her from now on!

valentino, Jan 21, 6:28am
Hmm, I have over a period of time tried different recipes including Ginger Crunch as I love Ginger Crunch, at the age of about 8 years made my first one from an Edmonds Book. that was over 60 years ago, lol.

Yep, some okay, some not very nice and a couple quite good.

My end result and now currently favour this recipe for the base but another recipe for the topping (both below), so to share and it came from here in TM.

The Base is from TAKAKA OATY GINGER CRUNCH from The Wholemeal Cafe, Takaka, Golden Bay. Unsure where the Topping came from but was TM also.

Melt:
150 gm butter
2 Tablespoons golden syrup (try to be precise - hold the spoon in boiling water before measuring golden syrup)
3/4 cup brown sugar

Mix together:
3/4 cup coconut
1 & 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1& 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1& 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

Combine wet & dry mixes
Press into 20 x 20 cm pan
Bake 180* C for 25 minutes
When cool, ice

Now the Topping.
150g butter
60ml (4 Tablespoons) golden syrup
300g icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons ground ginger

To make the topping, put butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan and heat until just melted.
Add the sifted icing sugar and ground ginger and cook for a further 1-2 minutes stirring constantly until smooth.
Remove from the heat and pour over cooled base.
Cut into squares when set but still a little bit warm.
Leave to set and Enjoy!

molly37, Jan 21, 8:51am
I 2nd this. It is ooooh so good. Everyone loves it.

rainrain1, Jan 21, 6:27pm
Edmonds book recipe, and double the icing, it's the best!

bev00, Jan 26, 9:32am
The Wooden Table's oaty ginger slice

Base

3 Tbsp golden syrup
225g butter
260g sugar
2 Tbsp crystallised ginger
150g rolled oats
135g roasted chopped walnuts
200g self-raising flour
¼ cup coconut

Icing

150g butter
3 tsp ginger
7 Tbsp golden syrup
3 cups icing sugar
Pistachios andcrystallised ginger to decorate

Method

Preheat the oven to 180degC.

Line a 30cm x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.

Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a pot and add the sugar.

Stir in the flour, roasted nuts, rolled oats, coconut and self-raising flour.

Press the mix into the tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Allow the base to cool before icing.

To make the icing

Melt together the butter and golden syrup in a pot.

Sieve the icing sugar and ginger into the butter mix.

Mix together with a wooden spoon to make a smooth icing.

Spread the icing over the base and decorate with chopped pistachios and crystallised ginger.

Leave the icing to set before cutting the slice.

rainrain1 (7 7 positive feedback) 11:48 am, Wed 27 Jan #8

maynard9, Jan 26, 7:14pm
I always used to make the Takaka one also but now this is our fav one - esp when fresh walnuts available off my mates tree.

valentino, Jan 26, 7:27pm
The Wooden Table version is too sweet for me but then that is me.

Cheers

rainrain1, Jan 26, 9:13pm
I only tried it once, and that was enough for me too, Edmonds book is all I ever make now.

village.green, Jan 26, 11:12pm
Alex Johnston's recipe is amazing (Ladies a Plate), the icing is not too thick and sickly which puts me off some shop bought ones. I also cook the base a bit longer than recommended as I like it that way.

wheelz, Jan 27, 5:16am
Edmonds here too. ginger crunch isn't crunchy with an oats base. call it ginger slice. not crunch

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 28, 3:33pm
yes it wasnt as crunchy as I remember, back to the edmonds version :-)

valentino, Jan 28, 7:19pm
Hmmm, get older the bite gets softer, to me the oat based one has sufficient crunch, a nice soft crunch actually with great tastes, it's not powdery wise which I did not like as much as the oat based one.

As noted earlier, I started with the Edmonds but now have changed because of these 2 factors.

Cheers

buzzy110, Jan 29, 12:22am
Same here. In my opinion making the biscuit base with oats (post #2) and calling it ginger crunch is ludicrous. But that's just me.

Cheers

valentino, Jan 29, 1:21am
kiwiscrapper1 noted in post 1 that the a Langbein recipe (has oats in it too)was her favourite yet is similar to post 2 recipe and even on her website a comment was given by Pepper "right amount of crunch", nothing ludricous about this. I too feel that the one I posted was ideal to my bite as well and have noted this just above.

Cheers

pickles7, Feb 17, 8:13pm
The Edmonds recipe was always the best seller , its what people expected when they bought 'ginger crunch'. I would expect that would be most teachers, favourite.

pickles7, Feb 17, 8:22pm
The Wooden Table's oaty ginger slice , dose not claim to be ' ginger crunch. It is not a version of, ginger crunch at all. If I was eating 'sweet' I would be tempted to try that recipe, I rather like walnuts, crystallised ginger and rolled oats together, it sounds nice.

patsprat, Oct 23, 5:07pm
I'm with you, Wheelz, I like a "crunch" with ginger crunch rather than the softness of oats, though the Takaka slice is very tasty. Which is the best recipe for 'crunch'?