Dumplings

245sam, Jul 31, 7:30am
Dumplings with a Difference.
I haven't made or tried the dumplings on the following link but saw the recipe for them in a waiting room magazine today so Googled for the recipe when I came home:-
https://www.leaderbrand.co.nz/recipes/Pure-n-Ezy-Beetroot/leaderbrand-beetroot-and-pork-dumplings-gyoza/

Even if not wanting to make the beetroot dough, IMO the filling would be nice to use with a plain dough. :-))

samanya, Aug 1, 1:51am
What a good idea . I take photos of the recipe with my cell phone

245sam, Aug 1, 2:50am
There was another recipe that I would have liked but I can't find it on-line so thanks for the heads-up re taking a pic with my cellphone - will do that tomorrow if I get a chance. :-))

korbo, Jul 15, 9:58am
what is your recipe for making dumplings using pork/chicken mince.
Like the ones I have tried at a sushi shop.

and how did you steam them etc.
thanks

korbo, Jul 16, 9:06am
. bumping

valentino, Jul 16, 8:03pm
Korbo, re Chinese Dumplings, I took a leaf of the way Le-Ann (I think the brand name is) and into a fry-pan a bit of oil, heated up with dumplings in then add sufficient water (say about 100 mil to 15 to 20) covered with a lid for a few minutes then remove lid and continued until all the water has virtually evaporated and the dumplings are golden. Serve very nice.

valentino, Jul 16, 8:08pm
And you can buy the skins or the dumpling outers from most Asian Stores if you want an easier way.

Cheers

fey, Jul 17, 3:41am
Tips: Looks for packets of gyoza skins from Asian store which can be frozen - saves so much time.

If you make with chicken mince then can I suggest you check the texture. Chicken mince for dumpling should be finely minced (finer than beef mince).

For the panfried dumpling, put a little oil in the pan, fry until the bottom that is sitting on the pan turns golden. Take off the heat. Pour in half a cup of water, returned to the heat and lower it and put a lid on until they take on the appearance of steamed dumplings.

Or just steam them as you would steam anything else. (Don't have them touching though they are buggers to unstick - do them in lots gets a better result).

korbo, Jul 17, 4:06am
yes fey, they are buggers for sticking. but the ones I have just made are rather too tasty. made 50 and not many left for rest of family to try.

I bought a bamboo steamer thingee, put it over the rolling boiling water, put the dumplings in, and gave them 10 mins. perfect, except they stuck to the bottom. next batch put a bit of greasepaper and sprayed, they were a bit better not sticking, then tried some just in the boiling water, not so good.

So what is the secret to them not sticking to the bamboo.?
would an ordinary pot steam er work the same.
Did fry some of them in a little oil. they were tasty crunchie too.

sarahb5, Jul 17, 4:26am
Greaseproof paper is the only way really to be sure they don't stick

valentino, Jul 17, 5:22am
Or a quick very light fry in fry pan prior to transfer to steaming as you noted.

Cheers

korbo, Jul 17, 8:28am
sarahb5. i did put some greaseproof paper in bottom, and sprayed it, and some of them stuck.
Wonder if spraying the actual bamboo would help

sarahb5, Jul 17, 8:46am
I doubt spraying the actual bamboo is going to make much difference if you're using greaseproof because the bamboo would be under the greaseproif. Just have to make sure you spray the dumplings and leave plenty if room between them.

gennie, Jul 20, 11:04am
I'm quite rough and ready with what I put in them. Usually pork mince, ginger, garlic, finely chopped cabbage if I have some, grated carrot, oyster sauce.

If using bamboo steamer I fold a piece of baking paper into 4 and cut some chunks out (like if you were making a cut out snowflake) and put in botom of each layer of steamer. Let's steam through and is anti stick. Usually though I pantry until golden and then add half cup of water to steam.

I use premaid skins from freezer in supermarket.

korbo, Jul 21, 7:32am
making more this weekend for the grandies. hope they turn out ok. may try a couple of methods.

twindizzy, Jul 22, 12:23am
If you are feeling really lazy, Asian stores sell them in packs of about 30 in three flavours. I wasnt expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised.

wendalls, Sep 18, 11:50am
I have done Chelsea winters ones in pink book which turned out quite nice and from scratch if you want.