Recipe book "Ruth Pretty Cooks at Home"

katalin2, Dec 18, 8:56am
Does anyone have this book- I am looking for a recipe for club sandwiches using cream cheese, basil and lemons. Many thanks!

petal1955, Dec 18, 9:36pm
Found this recipe on her web site

HERBED CREAM CHEESE AND VEGETABLE CLUB SANDWICHES
DESCRIPTION
(makes 16 cocktail size club sandwiches)

INGREDIENTS

225g cream cheese (at room temperature)
1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1 tbsp finely chopped marjoram
2 tsp finely chopped chervil Maldon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
200g (1) carrot (peeled & grated coarsely)
200g (1) small cucumber (peeled, seeded & grated coarsely)
200g (7-10) radishes (grated coarsely)
12 slices white sandwich bread

METHOD

To make herbed cream cheese: In a bowl place cream cheese, chopped parsley, marjoram and chervil with salt and pepper to taste. Mash with a fork to combine.
To dry grated vegetables: place grated vegetables onto paper towel-lined trays, place another layer of paper towels on top and gently press down onto vegetables.
Lay bread on a chopping board and spread each slice with herbed cream cheese.
Alternate half of each of the three vegetables onto each of the four bread slices and season with salt and pepper. Top with second slice of bread.
Spread the second slice of bread with the remaining herbed cream cheese.
Alternate the remaining vegetables on the second slice of bread, season with salt and pepper, and top with the remaining bread.
Remove crusts, preferably with an electric knife, and cut each sandwich in four.

katalin2, Dec 19, 2:17am
Thanks Petal I saw that too on her web site while it looks good it is not the one I am looking for! It is also in the only book of hers that I have which is Ruth Pretty's favourite recipes. But thanks
for looking!

245sam, Dec 19, 2:47am
katalin2, sorry I can't help you with the recipe you're wanting but if all else fails. are you near one of the city's libraries and had you thought of having a look at the book at the library? From the on-line catalogue, it appears that the book is available at most, if not all, of the libraries.
Good luck - I hope you get the recipe soon. :-))

katalin2, Dec 19, 9:03am
Yes I actually had a look this afternoon and Peterborough St which is closest to me has a copy so will pop in tomorrow. I was hoping not to go out again as I have finished all my shopping including food. Thanks for the thought sam.

petal1955, Dec 19, 10:13pm
Lemon & Basil Club Sandwiches
12 slices white sandwich bread
159 grms (1/2 cup + 3 tbsp) cream cheese (softened)
1 lemon (skin on and sliced very thinly if possible use a mandoline)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
20-25 basil leaves (washed and dried)
\
Place bread on a clean board and spread each slice generously with cream cheese.
Cover 4 slices with lemon, being careful not to overlap, and sprinkle with pepper. Top with a second slice of bread, cream cheese-side down. Spread the top of each slice with cream cheese, top with basil leaves and a sprinkle of pepper. Top the final slice of bred cream cheese-side down.

Trim crusts off sandwiches, then cut each into 4 triangles. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Serve sandwiches on the day you prepare them.

katalin2, Nov 17, 3:48pm
Thanks Petal- I wish I had seen this before I trotted off to the library to get the book out! But not a wasted trip as it has some great recipes in it! Thanbks again and have a great Christmas!