Lamb Chops

meme6, Apr 19, 12:34am
Does anyone have a good recipe for casseroled lamb chops that does not have ingredients full of salt. Thanks.

davidt4, Apr 19, 12:45am
This is very simple and good. From George Calombaris. It includes salt but does not have an other salty ingredients.

Cypriot Lamb Loin Chops - Tavas

serves 4

1 tab cumin seeds
8 lamb loin chops
3 large brown onions, thickly sliced
5 potatoes in large chunks
6 large tomatoes, grated
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper, cracked
2 tab tomato paste diluted in 250 ml water
60 ml olive oil
flat leaf parsley to garnish

Set oven to 180 C.

Lightly toast cumin seeds, crush in a mortar.

Place all ingredients except olive oil and parsley in ovenproof dish, combine well. Pour oil over top, cover and bake 30 min.

Reduce temperature to 160C and bake for a further hour. Uncover, check that all are cooked, bake uncovered 15 min.

Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.

meme6, Apr 19, 1:32am
Thanks a lot.

awoftam, Apr 19, 8:18am
That recipe sounds awesome! It's on the dinner table this weekend for sure.

But - how do you grate a tomato?

Do you just deseed and chop?

And would shoulder chops work just as well? I suppose they would take longer to become tender.

davidt4, Apr 19, 8:41am
To grate a tomato just cut in half and rub up and down on the coarse side of a box grater. No need to deseed, discard the skin.

Shoulder chops are fine, but try to get thick cut ones and cook longer.

twindizzy, Apr 19, 12:16pm
Dont ruin loin chops in a casserole

bottynoodle, Apr 19, 4:59pm
Why bother grating the tomato,just chop up!

rainrain1, Apr 19, 8:03pm
Same goes when you put onion in your soup. just cut it up.

davidt4, Apr 19, 9:00pm
Because grating it is a quick way to produce tomato pulp without skin. Try it, you might learn something.

awoftam, Apr 19, 10:33pm
Thanks very much! And I get the whole pulp tomato thing now - should have thought of that.

Thanks again. Am cooking this tomorrow.

karlymouse, Apr 19, 11:58pm
davidt4 wrote:
This is very simple and good. From George Calombaris. It includes salt but does not have an other salty ingredients.

Cypriot Lamb Loin Chops - Tavas

serves 4

Question about this David. do you not prefer your casserole meat browned before being cooked in liquid ? I just never fancy the idea of unbrowned meat cooking in liquid and the liquid being eaten at the end. am I just too squeamish ?

davidt4, Apr 20, 12:14am
I like browned meat too. It's just a different flavour unbrowned, part of the diversity of flavours in the world. And yes, I think it's odd to be frightened of liquid in the stew when the meat hasn't been browned. Have you ever eaten Lancashire Hotpot? The meat isn't browned in that dish and it has a lovely mild sweet flavour.

rainrain1, Apr 20, 12:57am
Hmmm! Could be worth thinking about :)

valentino, Apr 20, 4:10am
From the old TM website is this one which I do quite often.

Oh, the salt helps to keeps those cramps at bay so do not underestimate the salt however this recipe only has a little bit anyway.

baked chops
4 chops (I usually get lamb shoulder chops) 1T brown sugar, 2T soy sauce, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 t ground ginger. (I often add 1t hoisin sauce and replace ginger with five spice) Trim chops and place in a single layer in a baking dish. mix all ingredients together and pour over chops. Marinate for at least 2 hours. (When in a hurry I often only wait for oven to pre-heat and then cook) Bake, covered for 40 mins at 180C then uncover and cook a further 10 mins,basting well in this time
posted by malny

Cheers

valentino, Apr 20, 4:11am
Re the use of Grated Tomatoes, great doing your own Italian Dressings, very nice freshly grated tomatoes.

Cheers

awoftam, Apr 20, 4:24am
Couldn't wait, actually. davidt4's recipe just gone into the oven now.

davidt4, Apr 20, 4:43am
Cool. Do let me know what you think of it.

awoftam, Apr 20, 4:51am
Will do!

awoftam, Apr 20, 7:53am
Well, that was one of the easiest meals I have made for a long time and it disappeared in the twinkle of an eye. I added a heap of fresh spinach at the end to make it a one pot meal and served it with crusty bread and butter and it just vanished. The guys loved it. A great meal.

Thank you, davidt4.

karlymouse, Apr 21, 2:25am
No I have never eaten that. in fact I shy away from any dish I think may have been simmering in its own blood. but to each their own. plenty love super rare meat also. but not me.

awoftam, Apr 21, 2:56am
Browning meat doesn't take all the blood out of it; so what is the difference?

awoftam, Sep 30, 9:11am
I made davidt4's dish again today - however I used beef stock instead of tomato paste, and a tin of Delmaine crushed tomatoes instead of grating some.

It was just as delicious, and because my visitors this afternoon took such delight in sniffing it cooking they stayed for dinner and it has all gone.

It is hearty and simple fare, super tasty and a little bit different. Highly recommend to anyone who wants or needs to cook a dish that is not only great to eat it holds well.

I use thick cut shoulder chops and cook for 2.5 hours.