A REALLY LIGHT AND FLUFFY PIKLET RECIPE PLEASE.

Page 1 / 2
heav3, May 19, 11:22pm
have been using my normal and they are hard and yucky. Not light and fluffy anymore.

petal1955, May 20, 12:05am
Paraparaumu Pikelets

1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg
Milk to mix to stiff paste
1 tsp melted butter
Put all dry ingredients in a bowl. Break in egg and mix in milk. Add last of all the melted butter. Mix well and let stand for ½ hour. Drop in spoonful lots on hot griddle.

uli, May 20, 6:20am
I would ditch the cream of tartar and the baking soda and go for a few teaspoonfuls of baking powder and lots more milk (certainly not a "stiff dough") so it is a light soft dough - and you will be surprised at the fluffyness :)

samanya, May 20, 6:48am
Baking powder is just C of T & BS isn't it?
I like your suggestion though, because I can taste baking soda in the finished product. whether it's muffins, pikelets or whatever, but I can't taste baking powder. I don't know why that is.

niixs, May 20, 7:26am
Alison Holst's Pikelet Recipe
1 egg
3T sugar
1T melted butter
about 1/2 cup milk
1C self raising flour
Put egg, sugar, melted butter and milk into a bowl. Beat with a fork.
Add unsifted flour and stir until you can't see the flour. Stop stirring before mixture looks smooth - lumps are ok. Gently stir in extra milk if mixture to thick. Drop spoonfuls on to heated pan. Turn as soon as bubbles burst on top

awoftam, May 20, 7:32am
I am the same. Has a funny metallicy taste. can't explain it but I know its there!

samanya, May 20, 7:38am
Strange, huh?
Uli or buzzy will be along soon to explain why that should be, maybe?

wheelz, May 20, 8:32pm

sarahb5, May 20, 8:52pm
What do you use to cook your pikelets on/in? I don't have a problem with a recipe but just cannot cook them without burning the outside and having a soggy inside - maybe it's because I'm not a New Zealander .

just4jess, May 20, 10:39pm
The lightest pikelets I have tasted were made with buttermilk.

fifie, May 20, 11:38pm
Made them in electric frypan, cast iron frying pan, now I use a very old cast iron girdle greased with butter of a grandmas I scored on the gas. First batch is often bit hot till I get heat adjusted and then they are lovely and golden, Try heating your surface up and adjusting heat down before cooking sometimes i have to turn gas up again if i make big batch.

buzzy110, May 21, 12:14am
Duh! It is sufficient that you experience it. You have a discerning palate Self raising flour, which uses cream of tarter, has exactly the same effect on me. I despair at the deluge of disgusting food that people must be eating to not notice the aftertaste.

samanya, May 21, 12:41am
"Duh! "
What was that for?
Still doesn't explain why I can detect BS (in it's many forms) & not Baking powder.
But thanks for trying.

kaddiew, May 21, 1:16am
I agree. A little trial and error to get the right surface temperature. The best pikelets ever were the ones my mum made, straight onto the solid stove element, greased with butter paper. Flipped with a table knife.

The recipe I use has plain flour with baking powder and baking soda, with a tsp of vinegar in the milk, and they turn out fluffy golden pillows.

buzzy110, May 21, 1:19am
The duh was a reminder that you can do your own research and not rely on me. Personally I don't really care why you have that issue. I am more concerned with self-raising flour and know why it leaves that nasty after-taste.

samanya, May 21, 1:34am
Thank you very much for your usual gracious reply.
I simply asked because you seem to know everything.
Have a happy day, if you possibly can.

rainrain1, May 21, 1:45am
I'm keeping this one. thanks petal.

si50, May 21, 3:14am
Always use the Edmonds cook book one.It's easy and great.

devonwrecked, May 21, 4:12am
The nasty taste occurs because the baking powder/soda is not fully released during cooking. If you want to get rid of it, add a tsp of lemon juice or white vinegar, as the acid releases the gases. (Think of science experiments where you added vinegar to baking soda to make a toy boat move through water).

samanya, May 21, 5:16am
Wow, that makes sense. thanks so much for posting that tip.
I didn't ever get to make a toy boat move on water . girls only school, with emphasis on the academic & I was crap at the sciences & what have I missed, that sounds like fun learning!

sarahb5, May 21, 5:19am
And that's why if you add baking soda to banana cake you add it to warm milk first to release the acid taste but keep the "frothiness"

korbo, May 21, 9:45am
my mum-in-law, always adds 2 teaspn of brown vinegar to her piklet mix, jsut before she starts to cook and they are always fluffy and soft.
ALSO,. another dear friend always leaves her mixed mix for 15 mins before cooking.

korbo, May 21, 9:49am
. I used to cook mine on a plate I found at the op shop,think they came free with fridgadaire fridges, way back then. BUT recently bought from Noel Lemming, a flat pancake/piklet/grill thing. perfect for piklets, can make 6-8 at a time in one shot. Think I paid around $79. Just cant think of the correct name.

suzanna, May 21, 10:02am

petal1955, May 21, 7:13pm
Love your comment Samanya. Uli always has a sarcastic reply to most posts. and Im sure a lot of people are afraid to ask a question for the fear of the reply the get