Macaroons can I make these with ground almonds

suie1, May 9, 8:49am
instead of coconut? TIA

cookessentials, May 9, 8:57am
Yes, that is the more traditional French style. Do you have a recipe for them?

suie1, May 10, 12:33am
No cooksessentials I don't have a recipe, can you give me one please? Thanks

theanimal1, May 10, 12:42am
White ChocolateAlmond MacaroonsGluten Free

Ingredients

4 egg whites
2 Tbsp Chelsea Caster Sugar
1 cup ground almonds
2 cups Chelsea Icing Sugar
1 Tbsp maize cornflour
1 cup white chocolate melts
Method

Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Beat egg whites until stiff then, while continuing to beat, slowly add the caster sugar. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients. Place tablespoons of mixture the prepared tray and bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until golden brown. Do not open the oven door while cooking. Remove from oven and cool on the tray.

To serve, glue pairs of macaroons together with melted white chocolate.

Makes: 36 biscuits

suie1, May 10, 12:45am
Sound devine thanks but is white chocolate gluten free? I will have to leave it out anyway as it needs to be low carb so I will also be using splenda instead of sugar not sure what to substitute the maize flour for though can anyone tell me how much carb content in 1T cornflour? TIA

cookessentials, May 10, 12:48am
Ingredients:
•1 cup blanched almonds
•1 cup granulated sugar
•2 egg whites, beaten lightly
•1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
•2 tablespoons icing sugar
Preparation:
Preheat an oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the almonds, sugar, egg whites, and vanilla extract in a food processor and pulse the mixture until it has taken on the texture of a very coarse paste. Turn the food processor on high speed and blend the paste for 2 minutes, until it is very smooth and thick.

Spoon the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the batter into uniform, 1-inch mounds on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the batter to rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

Bake the macaroons for 12 minutes. Remove the hot macaroons to a wire rack and cool to room temperature and dust with the icing sugar before serving.
These will be the next big thing after cupcakes i think, they can be tinted with a tiny drop of food colouring to make lovely pastel colours

cookessentials, May 10, 12:52am
I do have a better one from Michel Roux which uses caster sugar if you would like that as well?

suie1, May 10, 1:01am
Thank You cooksessentials You Are Legend!

cookessentials, Apr 16, 6:55pm
I think this would be a better one as the temps are lower and they use caster sugar which dissolves far more easily.

Ingredients
300g icing sugar
300g ground almonds
5 eggwhites (from 59g eggs)
Pinch of cream of tartar
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
Red and yellow food colouring
Fillings
250g unsalted butter, softened
150g icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp finely grated mandarin rind
1 tsp orange blossom water
1/2 cup raspberries
1 tsp rosewater

Method
Using a fine sieve, sift icing sugar and almonds, pushing through with a wooden spoon. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbs at a time, and whisk until dissolved. Stir meringue into almond mixture (mixture will be stiff), then halve. Tint one half pink, the other half orange.

Spoon 1 mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm piping nozzle. Pipe (or spoon) 1. 5cm rounds on to baking paper-lined oven trays*, then repeat with other mixture. Set meringues aside, uncovered, on trays for 1 hour (this will help minimise cracking).

Preheat oven to 150°C and bake macaroons, 2 trays at a time, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Slide a knife under each macaroon to release from paper, then store in an airtight container until ready to fill.

For fillings, using an electric mixer, beat butter until pale and fluffy, then gradually beat in icing sugar until combined. Transfer half the mixture from the bowl to another bowl and add mandarin rind and orange blossom water. Stir to combine. Add raspberries and rosewater to remaining mixture in mixing bowl and, using the electric mixer, beat until well combined. Sandwich pink macaroons with raspberry filling and orange macaroons with mandarin filling. Serve.

Notes
* To create a perfectly smooth top on your macaroons, dip a finger into a bowl of water and gently smooth out any peaks