Macarons versus macaroons

dna187, May 22, 4:44am
Hi ladies, i see everyone has gone crazy over macaroons, are they same as the macarons. Apparently theres a french shop that sells the macaroons, but was wondering if there was a recipe for them. But are they the same as macarons.

prawn_whiskas, May 22, 4:46am
Totally different.. one is an almond based biscuit with a filling and the other is a coconut based biscuit.

bedazzledjewels, May 22, 5:18am
I think it was macarons used in the Masterchef final?

snowboard123, May 22, 6:18am
its just how kiwis say it.Not to be confused with the chocolate biscuit we eat that has coconut in it.
Yummy had one the other day.I am planning to make some when I have a free weekend.Looks a little time consuming.

cookessentials, May 22, 7:17am
Macarons were definatley what was made in Masterchef. Macaroons are white, with alot of coconut in the and rough textured. It's funny, but I have been saying for at least two years that they would be the next big thing...it's taken long enough. However, watch out for the woopie pie which is a tasty wee morsel. Cupcakes wont die out though as some people predict.

cookessentials, May 22, 7:25am

dna187, May 22, 8:01am
hi ok so the masterchef one, which i didnt get to see is the macaron, and is that what everyone is raving over, and is macaron the almond one then with the filling. Oh yes when my daughter mentioned macaroon, i thought she meant the chocolate macaroons which i just so happen to have in my cupboard. lol. Daughter has tried i think the macaron which apparently theres a french shop in newmarket, auckland that selling them. Daughter mentioned it was almost like a pavlova, kinda chewy with a filling. Is that the macaron.

dna187, May 22, 8:02am
a woopie pie, wow, whats that like. Um yeah i dont think cupcakes are going to die either. Theres so many people who make gorgeous cupcakes these days. Stunning.

cookessentials, May 22, 8:04am

cookessentials, May 22, 8:06am

smileeah, May 22, 9:43am
So whoopie pies are like muffin tops sandwiched together with icing?
Sounds interesting. Especially if it's yummy icing. :)

bedazzledjewels, May 23, 4:50am

psy-trading, May 23, 10:39am
They remind me of Ginger Kisses.

juliewn, May 23, 1:03pm