What to do with Honey.lots and lots of Honey!

bev00, Mar 15, 10:59am
Honey Almond Cake

4 eggs
100 ml light honey
65g caster sugar
2 drops almond essence
4 tab soft butter
120g flour
150g ground almonds
2 tab caster sugar

Beat yolks, honey and 65g sugar until thick. Beat in essence, butter, flour & almonds.

Whip whites, add 2 tab sugar and whip until stiff. Fold into batter.

Pour into lined 20cm tin, bang on bench to break bubbles.

Bake 170 C 50 – 60 min.

Keeps well

davidt4 (204 ) 6:12 pm, Sat 2 Feb #5

Quoteunknowndisorder (239 ) 10:43 pm, Wed 13 Mar #2
Honey Walnut cake
1 cup liquid honey
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
175gms butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup toasted walnuts

Icing

60gms butter
3 Tblsps liquid honey
1 1/3 cups icing sugar

Cake
Combine honey and yoghurt in a small bowl
beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and creamy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, bp, soda and salt and add to butter mixture. Add honey mixture and walnuts and stir well.
Line 22cm x 22cm pan with baking paper
Pour mixture into pan and bake at 175* for about an hour until a skewer comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, and then cool on a rack.

Icing

Beat butter and honey together Add icing sugar until you have a spreading consistency. Spread over cake.

I've made this several times and always enjoyed it.
I guess you could leave out the walnuts

Quotedbab (554 ) 7:40 am, Thu 14 Mar #4

2spotties, Mar 16, 7:04am
The Honey and date cake from Edmonds cook book is delicious

bev00, Mar 16, 12:37pm
saving these goodies

deanna14, Mar 16, 9:49pm
As winter begins, add some lemon zest and slices of lemons to a jar full that you have heated (only slightly) to mix in the zest and slices and leave in the fridge for a week, then use when you get a cold by the spoon full or with hot water, or to keep colds away.

hogwort, Sep 11, 9:49am
I won a raffle (that's got to be a first!) and now I have about 7 quite large jars of various kinds of honey! Apart from having it on toast I have no idea what to do with so much of it, I would love to know if I could brew honeymead from it? Any suggestions out there in messageboardland?

lilyfield, Sep 11, 6:53pm
Save it , honey keeps for ever and ever

datoofairy, Sep 11, 6:59pm
Make a huge batch of honey rice bubble slice and send it all to me :o)

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:52pm
Honey will also keep pretty much for ever so long as it is a cool, dark place.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:56pm
I just remembered, Mum used to make a delicious honey roll with a honey cream filling. it was an old Margaret Fulton sponge roll recipe and it was delicious.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:58pm
After saying that, I Googled honey sponge roll and this one came up. It is by Suzanne Gibbs ( daughter of Margaret Fulton) so you can bet your bottom dollar it is the one I was talking about.

4 eggs, separated
½ cup (110g) caster sugar, plus extra, for dusting
½ cup (75g) cornflour
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon honey, at room temperature
Honey cream filling
90g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey

Preparation method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Lightly grease and line base and sides of a 26cm x 32cm swiss roll pan.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until stiff but not dry. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in egg yolks until just mixed.

3. Meanwhile, finely sift cornflour, flour, spices and baking powder. Lightly fold into egg mixture with honey, mixing gently until evenly distributed. Fill prepared pan shaking gently to spread mixture evenly.

4. Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and firm when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Turn out onto a tea towel lightly dusted with extra caster sugar. Quickly peel off paper and trim edges. Roll up immediately in tea towel starting from short edge. Leave to cool completely.

5. Using an electric mixer, beat butter until pale and creamy. Add honey and beat until well mixed. Add 2 tablespoons water and continue beating until mixture is smooth and creamy. Unroll cake and spread over filling. Roll up again and serve cut across into slices.

whitehead., Sep 12, 2:57am
honey found in the tombs in egypt was 2000 years old and still fit to eat so it will out last your and yours

cookessentials, Sep 12, 3:04am

cookessentials, Sep 12, 3:06am
Recipes in the link above as well as this one from a New Zealand honey company
http://nzartisanhoney.co.nz/recipes.php

cookessentials, Sep 12, 3:07am
I have stolen the cheesecake recipe for the cheesecake thread too!

cookessentials, Sep 12, 5:02am
Manuka Honey Butter

I have had this on freshly made crumpets, it is delicious. Also great on pikelets.

Manuka Honey butter:

50gram butter
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon J. Friend and Co Manuka Honey

Beat all the ingredients together until light and fluffy- serve spread on the warm pikelets

macandrosie, Dec 22, 2:13am
You could preserve fruit with honey if you wanted.