Does honey go off with age

gerry64, Apr 5, 3:32am
I just found in the back of the pantry a small bucket of local honey I bought at the Farmers Market - it tastes strong and has gone dark but am wondering if it is safe to use it -

shelley39, Apr 5, 3:49am
I have read that honey is the only food that does not spoil. I found that it went quite sugary when it gets old.

jessie981, Apr 5, 3:59am
It will be ok. Made Ricebubble Slice not long ago with very dark honey.

gerry64, Apr 5, 5:57am
thanks - would be such a waste to chuck it - will use it for baking - it isnt at all sugary - I remember sampling it at the market and it was real yummy - useless I am

annie.nz, Apr 5, 6:52am
It's fine, honey shouldn't go off, though its consistency may change.It's very weather-sensitive.

huntlygirl, Apr 5, 6:54am
They found edible honey in some of the tombs in Egypt, because of the antibiotic propertys it lasts for ever.

macandrosie, Apr 5, 7:28am
I think it crystalizes with age, you could try heating it up carefully, use it in cooking, you sure won't get food poisoning!

duckmoon, Apr 5, 7:56am
honey has been found in the tombs of the pyrmids...
and still OK

papariccardo, Apr 5, 7:59am
Honey is PERFECT in the 'get thru' emergency kit - especially manuka, which is very medicinal - and a good grafting agent.

annie.nz, Apr 6, 6:52am
It's fine, honey shouldn't go off, though its consistency may change.It's very weather-sensitive.

macandrosie, Apr 6, 7:28am
I think it crystalizes with age, you could try heating it up carefully, use it in cooking, you sure won't get food poisoning!

duckmoon, Apr 6, 7:56am
honey has been found in the tombs of the pyrmids.
and still OK