How to make moist bacon & egg pie - help

Page 2 / 2
gabbysnana, Nov 16, 6:57am
can add tomatoe

rae226, Nov 16, 8:34am
add a cut up tomato to your mixture. I always whisk my eggs and add a little bit of milk and then the onion bacon and parsley and sometimes I put in cooked peas. Never had a dry bacon and egg pie yet.

aj.2., Nov 16, 9:48am
Heat your oven , then place the cooking dish close to the bottom, as its the bottom that needs that heat, you can always lift the pie up onto a higher rack if you need to cook the top. will not need long as its mostly cooked by then.
Use Savory pastry , just a bit of onion in first , then a good layer of bacon, Break in as many eggs as you can to fill the pie dish, just break the yolks , some salt and pepper , only if you wish, then place pastry lid on, But note make it bigger than the pie, as you want to double fold over the edge to stop it breaking apart ,slice some air holes in the top .you can brush with milk but that tends to get a bit hard, and brittle layer .I don't bother .
Please note to test if your pie is cooked,
The pie should release it self from your cooking dish, and this is where a heavy dish helps , as it gets the heat into it, rather than a pie tin , but they do work well having said that.
So holding dish in towel, give it a sharp lift and the Pie should shake loose, then you know its good to allow to take out, allow to semi cool, then start eating.
Enjoy it.
Will also add use Fan bake if you have it , as that gets the even heat around the oven.

aj.2., Nov 16, 9:57am
No tray Please, and you use a heavy dish , thats good.
Just heat oven , place that pie down low at the start , you can always lift to cook the top .
If you worried about it overflowing then you are putting in to much filling, or not cutting the lid Bigger than the pie , and therefore not able to Double fold the edge. also cut the air slots with a sharp Knife and near the center, and don't open them up, let the cooking do that.

awoftam, Nov 17, 6:40am
If you have a dry bacon and egg pie; made with just bacon and eggs, I suggest you have cooked the sh!t out of it. Bacon and eggs (and pastry) are not dry ingredients so over cooking on a high heat (or long on a low heat) is the logical conclusion.

sla11, Nov 17, 10:10pm
Mother in law used to make best B&E Pie. Put thin layer of Sausage Meat across the bottom of it plus B&E - beautiful!

jbsouthland, Nov 17, 10:21pm
Friend adds slivers of raw potato , pre boils the bacon . always whisks eggs with a couple added whole but yolks swirled . Heated tray under pie dish . sooooo no soggy bottom .

sophie98, Jun 20, 1:47am
If its soggy on the bottom try a different baking dish next time and place it nearer the bottom for the first half of cooking. Some of the ceramic dishes take longer to cook the bottom.