Rhubarb - what seasonal fruits could I make jam.

mctavi, Jul 10, 12:22am
or chutney out of that uses up my rhubarb? Not keen on doing crumbles, stewing etc - would like to make jams and chutneys please :-)
Thank you!

245sam, Jul 10, 12:34am
From earlier threads:
"noonesgirl wrote:
Rhubarb Marmalade
4lb rhubarb
2 lemons
8ozs walnuts
1pt water
2 oranges
6lb br sugar
Chop the rhubarb & boil in water 20 mins. Put oranges, lemons & nuts through a mincer & add to cooked rhubarb. Add sugar & cook till mixture will set - approx 1 hr.

Thanks sounds yum.

Quote trader-joy (108 ) 6:27 am, Fri 19 Nov #36"

"Rhubarb Cordial

9 stalks rhubarb, chopped
3 cups water
peel of 1 lemon, removed with a vegetable peeler
2 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Simmer the rhubarb, water and lemon peel together for 20 minutes, skimming off any foam. Strain, discarding the pulp, then add the sugar and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil for 1 minute, skim again and cool. Keep refrigerated and use to make punch or cocktails. Makes about 1 litre.

Quotebernice1 (226 ) 9:03 am, Tue 29 Nov #6
I have made and bottled the above successfully. Nice with bubbly or for the non alcoholic version with soda, or with gingerbeer is also a nice twist.

Quotebernice1 (226 ) 9:07 am, Tue 29 Nov #7

I simply cook the rhubarb till softened with water to cover, taste then sweeten as required at the end. Decant most of the liquid, chill, use the pulp then top the juice up with ice and soda water. But I prefer it tart.

Quoteoh_hunnihunni (1556 ) 9:47 am, Tue 29 Nov #9
this recipe was posted by some one here: Rhubarb Champagne ( non- Alcoholic) 1 Kg Rhubarb, washed and chopped - 1 1/2 TBsp white vinegar - 700g white sugar - 3 1/2 L water - zest & juice 6 lemons - Put all ingreds. into large non-metal container, mix & stand 48hrs. Strain & bottle. leave 3 weeks before drinking. Fizzy like ginger beer.

Quotewheelz (154 ) 11:37 am, Tue 29 Nov #10"

"Rhubarb Chutney
1KG rhubarb chopped
25gr fresh ginger well bruised [I sometimes use the ginger in a jar, 2 teaspoons]
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 lemons [grated rhind and juice]
1 tbs salt
2 1/2 cups vinegar
1kg sugar
500gr sultanas.

We like it HOT so I had some chilli.

Put all in a pot and simmer, stir frequently so it dosnt catch on bottom.
Simmer for about 1 hour or until it has thickened.

If you like it chunky bottle it as it is , I put mine through the mouli to make it smooth.

Makes about 3 litres. Can be eaten right away but I prefer to keep it for a month to mature.
Good for all meats and sandwiches or crackers and cheese.
Quote daisygirl (1961 ) 1:04 pm, Fri 26 Nov #4"

" I made rhubarb jam recently, it has been very well received by all.

I got the recipe from the internet. I found I boiled it longer than it said to, but here it is as I copied it down.

3C chpd small rhubarb
2 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water (may not seem enough but it is)
1 pkt red jelly crystals
Put water and fruit into pot, stir continuously, boil until soft. (4 mins) Add sugar, boil, stirring until dissolved (about 2 mins). Turn off heat, pour in jelly, stir until dissolved. Pour into jars.
Made 3 jars

Quote cmjbp (715 ) 1:32 am, Wed 28 Nov #23"

"Here is a favourite since a child.

Rhubarb & Banana jam

450g rhubarb, chopped
450g sugar
4 bananas
1 tsp butter

Slice the rhubarb finely and place in a glass bowl.
Add the sugar, stir and leave overnight for juice to form.
Transfer to a pan and bring slowly to boiling point stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
Boil gently for 30 minutes or until thick.
Mash the banana and add to the jam. Boil for a further 5 minutes.
Add the butter and skim off any froth into a small bowl.
Pour the jam into sterilised jars and cover.

Quote flower-child01 (326 ) 10:16 am, Wed 28 Nov #25"

Hope that helps. :-))

mctavi, Jul 10, 6:48am
Thanks heaps!

flower-child01, Jul 10, 7:39pm
245sam, I am making my rhubarb and banana jam tioday after leaving the rhubarb and sugar overnight. I was lucky to buy some rhubarb cheap last week.
I have had rhubarb and strawberry jam, but find this too acidic, I definitely prefer the banana.

mctavi, Jul 17, 4:49am
How does the banana taste with the rhubarb? Can't quite picture it.

anne1955, Jul 17, 5:17am
My mother made it all the time me I don't eat banana's I'd go with pineapple instead but rest of family all ate it.

cookessentials, Jul 17, 10:35pm
Rhubarb chutney is lovely. I made a few batches last year and we really enjoy it.

mctavi, Jul 18, 1:04am
May I have your recipe please cookessentials?

cookessentials, Jul 18, 2:12am
When I get home tonight I shall do it for you.

pickles7, Jul 18, 3:21am
I drove past a tree of crab apples the other day, it was loaded. What a mess under it, apples covered the footpath. We in Hastings are spoilt for fruit, it is plain to see. I doubt any have been made into Apple jelly. I have watched this tree for ages now, maybe the owners just like the look of the tree full of little red apples.

cookessentials, Jul 18, 8:51am
my book must be packed away somewhere, will try to find it for you

olwen, Jul 18, 9:57am
People do grow crab apples for their decorative value. Nice blossom followed by pretty fruit.

cookessentials, Aug 7, 10:05pm
Had a good search last night and found it packed away.

RHUBARB CHUTNEY

1kg rhubarb, chopped
2 med onions, chopped
3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed.
240g sultanas
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 tbsp. white mustard seeds
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger.

Combine all ingredients in large pan or stock pot, bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally ( a simmer mat is great for this) for about 1 1/4 hours or until mixture is thick. Pour into hot, sterilised jars; seal when cold.

bev00, Aug 8, 12:11pm
fab ways with rhubarb to try

cgvl, Aug 8, 10:45pm
Rhubarb and ginger jam is nice too. I just make the Rhubarb jam as per any jam and then add a packet or 2 of crystallised ginger, my mother adds ground ginger but I prefer the pieces of ginger. Add ginger once you have the jam at a rolling boil.

articferrit, Aug 9, 4:54am
Rhubarb relish
1.8k rhubarb chopped
1.8k sugar
4 cups vinegar
2 tsp ground cloves
salt
sultanas (optional)
3 tsp cayenne pepper
6 large onions, chopped
Boil for 2 hours and put in hot jars and seal. will keep for 1 year.
Doesnt taste like rhubarb but is really nice,
makes a huge amount so Id half this recipe when I make it again.

niffer13, Aug 10, 6:53am
I am going out to see if I can find enough rhubarb to make the banana jam it sounds yummy. Rhubarb plants are fairly small!

niffer13, Dec 25, 2:13am
"Here is a favourite since a child.

Rhubarb & Banana jam

450g rhubarb, chopped
450g sugar
4 bananas
1 tsp butter

Slice the rhubarb finely and place in a glass bowl.
Add the sugar, stir and leave overnight for juice to form.
Transfer to a pan and bring slowly to boiling point stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
Boil gently for 30 minutes or until thick.
Mash the banana and add to the jam. Boil for a further 5 minutes.
Add the butter and skim off any froth into a small bowl.
Pour the jam into sterilised jars and cover.

Quote flower-child01 (326 ) 10:16 am, Wed 28 Nov #25"

I made this & it is so yummy. Keeping in the fridge tho as it is more like a spread than jam. Only did 1/2 a batch as my very red rhubarb is a very small plant. Thanks 245sam