Keeping soup/broth for a few days and adding to it

mndy1, Jun 2, 5:47am
How do you do it? I've put some lamb chops and neck chops in with some leek and onion and potato skins and celery and a bit of curry and I'd like to keep adding to it over the next few days to keep it going. How do you do it? I'm thinking of putting it in the crockpot overnight.

rainrain1, Jun 2, 6:36am
I've never done that, Usually all the flavours go in at once, if I want a large amount I use 2 or 3 large soup bones, and make a bigger quantity. I like to keep it in the fridge each night till it's all eaten

awoftam, Jun 2, 6:43am
I do the same as rainrain. What you are describing OP sounds like the cook ups some of my Maori relatives used to do. I always wondered how they never succumbed to food poisoning to be frank.

karlymouse, Jun 2, 8:21am
Well I often start with a broth and add vegetable water to it, left over veges, etc. as long as it is boiled each day it is fine -

wendalls, Jun 2, 8:42am
Yes I agree that boiling it up each day will kill off the odd bug so it has no chance to multiply. Within reason. Remember the days before fridges, things would have been done differently.

rainrain1, Jun 2, 8:34pm
Shucks!

beaker59, Jun 2, 10:08pm
Sounds like flatters stew pot when I was at Uni 35 yrs ago that and yesterdays bread from the bakery kept us going, (well allowed a little money for Saturday night at least). Health definitely improved when my flatmates girlfriend moved in and insisted we add Veges to the pot as well.

mndy1, Jun 2, 10:45pm
Well I added some more veges to it last night and put it in the fridge. Have put it on this morning and will add some more neck chops to it for lunch. Will try for 3 days and then have a break or I'll get tired of it.
I wish I'd thought of doing this the other day with my leftover roast. It's so convenient for when anyone comes in and there's always something warm to eat.

davidt4, Jun 3, 12:08am
I think you will get a better flavoured soup by making one big batch and chilling or freezing what you don't use immediately.

mothergoose_nz, Jun 3, 12:34am
I think stocks can be added to and used for a long time as long as it is boiled everyday. saw something on tv about it years ago. it is a restaurant thing where there is a stove going every day

rainrain1, Jun 3, 6:52pm
That sounds like something that would have been done in the history books, it would be a basic broth of sorts, where a spoonful or two would be taken out of and used as a base for something else, then somehow the original broth would be kept alive. I have no doubt it is still done somewhere in the big wide culinary world today. I would not like to attempt it myself

nzdoug, Jun 3, 10:43pm
This is a good technique for spag sauces.
Never ending.

fantail8, Jun 16, 9:19am
rolling boil for at least 5 minutes daily.Add vege water from the veges cooked for tea into pot when draining the veges, therefore don't loose vege nutrients

peter148, Jun 16, 2:09pm
Keeping soup going for days or even months at a time was a Scottish thing from back in the days when people had to light a fire to cook their food. There was constantly a pot of broth on the go which had its bones taken out and more food added to it every day.

rainrain1, May 21, 10:00am
Continual steamed up kitchens then? I would hate that