Big Green Egg

Page 1 / 2
horses7, Jun 28, 2:14am
Has anybody got one and what do they cook on them. I've bought one but haven't picked it up yet. Can't wait.

motorbo, Jun 28, 2:53am
never heard of it, what is it?

245sam, Jun 28, 3:40am
motorbo, have a look at:-
http://www.biggreenegg.co.nz/

245sam, Jun 28, 3:42am
horses7, I/we don't have a Big Green Egg but we do have a hooded barbecue as well as a Weber Baby Q which we take away with us when caravanning. For info' re your eagerly awaited purchase and recipes for using it, have a look at:- http://www.biggreenegg.co.nz/

motorbo, Jun 28, 6:49am
thank you sam

horses7, Jun 28, 8:48am
Thanks . We have a Weber Baby Q as well for our caravan as well we love it it's great we cooked a pork roast in it, it was lovely.

kiwigoldie, Jun 28, 9:27am
We have a Kamardo joe which is the same sort but different brand. we do soooo many things. pizzas, bread, bread rolls, cakes, muffins. meats- large cuts like beef rump, pork shoulder, leg, loin, chickens whole, small cuts- steak, chops, drumsticks, lamb racks, meat patties, sausages, meatballs, kebabs, meat and vege ones, baked potatoes in jackets, roast root Veges. You can also use it as a smoker. low and slow for many hours to smoke fish but we haven't. we absolutely love ous, use it all year round. best fun we have with cooking.

kiwigoldie, Jun 28, 9:31am
Oh. Hubby says. Don't use brocket yes. make sure you use lump charcoal. mitre ten is a good place to get it. also pizza comes out best if you use a pizza stone. if I am organised I will arrange it so I have something like a loaf of bread or some rolls to put on after we have cooked the main meal. great for lunch the next day. it's a bit of a party piece in our house lots of our friends love coming to have BBQ. just to see what surprises we can pull out. oh an pineapple with rum and brown sugar on it is divine.

horses7, Jun 28, 10:11am
My husband says I'm not allowed to use his good rum for cooking.

sampa, Jun 29, 2:33am
Same but my husband says that if I use up all his Bounty (Fijian) rum we'll just have to go back for more. gets expensive. lol

kiwigoldie, Jun 29, 3:53am
hopefully he wouldn't miss a little slosh of it. I am sure it would be worth the risk for the divine taste of the cooked pineapple rum caramel dessert :)

racecom, Jun 29, 11:53pm
They are really fantastic, I have a KamadoJoe and use the Charcoal from Derekthechef.co.nz as it is big and lasts a long time. Cook all sorts including Pav on ours. Ribs to die for and roasts that are just the best.
Good fun and good luck but if you want any hints go to Derek

horses7, Jul 2, 11:00pm
Hi, Picked up my Big Green Egg yesterday put it together & cooked chicken drum sticks for 35 mins on 220 they were awesome even my husband liked them. I marinated them for about 2 hrs before hand. Will try a roast beef Friday night.

horses7, Jul 3, 7:31am
Going to try a roast of beef tomorrow night.

horses7, Jul 5, 9:59am
Beef roast was so nice. Had lamb roast tonight it was yum as well.p

kiwigoldie, Jul 6, 12:10am
We are having roast leg of lamb on our Kamardo joe tonight. next time you should try doing your roast vege too. saves putting on the inside oven.

horses7, Jul 7, 12:06am
Hi Kiwigoldie, I cooked my vege's in with roast beef it was yum.

dottyone1, Jul 7, 7:58am
hell that sure sounds like work to me.

kiwigoldie, Jul 7, 11:35pm
leg of lamb slow cooked was divine. horses7. next you should try a rolled loin of pork. this is what I do but its so worth it!
score the pork skin with fine cuts to make crackling. then pour a kettle full of boiling water over it. this will open up the cuts to make wonderful crackling. then pat dry. season with sea salt and oil. rub it in well. then cook on bbq. it is divine and with amazing crackling. slow and low and don't worry if you think its not going to crackle. it will. YUM!

horses7, Jul 14, 12:16pm
Cooked lamb spear ribs for lunch on Sunday they were yum then put pork roast on just cooked in cast iron fry pan with bit of oil . Kept putting sauce on them they were lovely. The egg kept going from about 11.30 to 6 o'clock at 185. I will try putting boiling water for the crackle sounds good.

beaker59, Jul 15, 6:46pm
Just get a 22inch Webber Kettle easier better and cheaper, and more than likely longer lasting I have had mine for 10yrs my previous one was stolen I am sure someone else is still using it. The Webber is the origonal and these are merely copies. We roast in it grill in it and smoke with it I used to bake in it but haven't for years, can't be bothered.

and yes charcoal is heaps better than brickets.

nukhelenc, Jul 16, 6:52am
Loads of vids on you tube for the green egg.

nala2, Jul 17, 9:25am
I also have been looking at the Green Egg, which one did you get?

horses7, Jul 19, 12:28am
Had lamb roast last night put marinade on it at 11 o'clock. Put it big green egg at 12.30 at about 170 brown it. Then cooked at about 150 for 6hrs it was lovely had family out there was nothing left.

horses7, Jul 19, 12:32am
Hi nala2 I have got the large egg I bought it from Matt at Four Seasons BBQ Hamilton there is a small one as well.