Best Banana Cake Recipe!

Page 1 / 2
dunit7, Jun 20, 2:20am
Anyone know any good recipes? I'm a big lover of banana cake and wanting to find the most finger licking recipe there is.

Winner gets a smiley face :-)

korban, Jun 20, 2:25am
I do this one - so easy

Melt 150g butter (use a large saucepan, everything else goes in - only one pan for washing up)

Add ¾ c sugar, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla essence. Mix well.

Sift 2 c flour, 2 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp baking soda on top of melted ingredients in the pot. Mix carefully then slowly add ½ c milk and 1c (about 2) mashed bananas.

Pour into well greased and lined 20 cm ring tin and bake at 180°C for 30 - 40 minutes.

Ice with chocolate icing once cold.

dunit7, Jun 20, 2:27am
You beauty! That sounds great!

Do you have a recipe for the chocolate icing? I imagine coco powder, icing sugar and all the rest?

korban, Jun 20, 2:29am
I just melt a little butter in boiling water, add cocoa and icing sugar until I get the thickness/taste I like. Sometimes I have to add in more boiling water.

dunit7, Jun 20, 2:52am
Cool bananas! Thank you for your help!

245sam, Jun 20, 3:01am
From the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Edmond's Banana Cake
125g butter, 175g sugar, 2 eggs, 2 mashed bananas, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tbsp boiling milk, 1 tsp baking powder, 225g flour. Cream butter & sugar, add eggs, bananas, then baking soda dissolved in boiling milk. Lastly add flour & baking powder, previously mixed. Bake in 2 greased sandwich tins at 180°C for 20 minutes. Fill with whipped cream & sliced bananas.
posted by 245sam

Banana Chocolate Cake
100gm butter, 1c sugar, 1 egg, 1/2c plain yoghurt, 3/4tsp vanilla, 1 mashed banana, 1 1/2c SR flour, 1/4c cocoa, pinch salt, 1tsp baking soda dissovled in 1/2c boiling water. Beat together butter & sugar, add egg & mix well. Mix in yoghurt, banana and sifted dry ingredients. Stir through the baking soda & hot water mix. Pour into lined 22cm ring pan and bake 30-40mins @ 180°C till cooked. Ice with chocolate icing.
poster unknown

Moist Banana Cake
I have used this recipe for cake and muffins. Always turns out yummy. 125g butter softened,125g White Sugar, 2 tspns baking soda, 2 tablespoons Hot milk,2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, Icing: 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tspn butter, 2 cups icing sugar, 1 tspn grated lemon rind. preheat oven to 180C. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the mashed banana and mix well. Stir the baking soda into hot milk and add to mixture. Fold in flour and baking powder. Pour into well greased 20-21 cm tin with base lined with baking paper. Bake for 45-50 mins, until cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool for 15 mins in tin, carefully turn the cake out and cool it completely on a wire rack. Ice with lemon icing when completely cool. For the Icing: Heat the lemon juice and butter and stire unti lthe butter has melted. Mix all the ingredients together to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency (add a few drops of water if it is too firm) This is from: ALL THINGS NICE by Jo Seagar Never fails and yummy. posted by zappi

World Famous Banana Cake !
LOL! 150g butter ,1 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3), 2 cups flour, 1 teaspn baking powder, 1 teaspn baking soda, 2 tblspn milk, icing. Melt butter in mixer bowl in microwave. Add sugar, eggs, and mashed banana. Mix on low speed to combine. Sift in flour and baking powder. Dissolve baking soda in milk and add to the mixer bowl. Beat on low speed to combine, increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into a baking paper lined 20cm tin. Bake at 180degs 50-55 mins or until cake cooked. Leave in tin 5 mins before turning out. Ice when cold with lemon or chocolate icing.
posted by jaky

Praise® Banana Cake with Lemon Icing
Ingredients 3/4 cup Praise Mayonnaise*, 1 cup caster sugar, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup mashed bananas, 2 cup(s) flour, 1 tsp ground cinnamon , 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder. LEMON ICING 3 tbsp Praise Mayonnaise, 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind, 3/4 cup icing sugar. Method Place Praise Mayonnaise, caster sugar, vanilla essence and bananas in a bowl, beat lightly to combine. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder, gently fold in to the mayonnaise mixture. Spread into a baking paper lined 20cm round cake tin. Bake at 170°C for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Ice with lemon icing, store in an air-tight container.
Lemon icing: Beat Praise Mayonnaise with lemon rind and sifted icing sugar, until smooth and thick.
posted by pam.delilah" :-))

245sam, Jun 20, 3:03am
continued from #6.

"this is the best banana cake recipe
I've ever. tried, so moist and delish,give it ago its quick and eazy! Sift 2 1/2 cups flourwith 1 tsp baking soda, make a well then stir in 1 cup caster sugar, 4 eggs,2 1/2 cups mashed banana and 1 cup of oil. mix gently to a smooth batter. pour into a greased cake tin and bake at 160 deg for aprox 1 1/2 hours. when cool ice with cream cheese icing. 100g cream cheese,60g butter softened,juice of half a lemon and 2 tsp of zest. blend all together and ice. I normally double for a very large cake.
posted by hooch444

Wonder cake
If you don’t like bananas you can add grated carrot and zucchini instead and omit the vanilla. 50g butter or oil, 1/3c sugar, 1 cup rice milk 1t vanilla essence, 2 ripe mashed bananas, 1 and ½ c self raising gf flour, ½ t salt, 1 t baking soda Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fully pre-heated before baking). Cream butter and sugar. Add milk and the vanilla (if wanted) and the mashed banana. Add the dry ingredients -- mix quickly, but thoroughly. Spread evenly into lined baking pan or muffin pan (w/liners}. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. I have never tried this with oil instead of butter but it should work.
posted by sb81

Banana Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups flour 3/4 cup sugar 2 mashed bananas 1/2 tsp BP 100 gms butter 1 tsp Baking Soda 1 tbsp coffee essence 1/4 cup milk Pinch salt 1 egg Cream butter and sugar. Add everything else Bake 160 30 minutes. posted by melford

Banana Cake with yoghurt
125g unsalted butter, chopped 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ¾ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 3 large bananas, mashed 150ml thick yoghurt 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted 1 teaspoon nutmeg, sifted 1 teaspoon allspice, sifted Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round springform tin with melted butter and line the base and sides (must rise at least 5cm above the rim of the tin) with baking paper. Cream butter and vanilla until pale. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add bananas, sour cream, sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until tested clean
posted by pam.delilah

Banana & Orange Cake.
125gm butter chopped, 2T grated orange rind, 3/4c caster sugar, 2 eggs, 11/2c sr flour, 1/4c plain flour, 1/2tsp baking soda, 1/4c orange juice, 1/2c sultanas, 1/2c chopped walnuts, 1c mashed banana. Beat butter, rind & sugar with electric beater till light & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time till combined. Sift in flours and soda. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into prepared 22cm round pan. Bake @ 180°C for 45mins. Dust generously with icing sugar or for a bit of luxury, ice with lemon or orange cream cheese icing.
posted by rkcroft" :-))

245sam, Jun 20, 3:04am
continued from #7

"Best banana cake recipe ever
Beat 3 eggs, 1.5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1.5 tsp of both baking powder and baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info. I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square, I have never mixed in a food proccessor only because it is quiet small. Now the icing I have been using Bakels chocolate truffle which you heat in the microwave for 90 secs and use it is just
wonderful I don't know if you can buy yet in shops but check with your local Crean or Foodstuffs store and just ask to buy under a cash sale agreement (Usually a/c only) this stuff is just wonderful you can reheat 100's of times available in white and dark choc and I just drizzle both on top, looks amazing.
posted by mackenzie2

Melt & Mix Banana Cake150g butter, 3/4 c sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 C flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 C milk, 2 mashed bananas. Melt butter, add sugar, eggs and vanilla and whisk well. Add sifted flour, baking powder & baking soda and mix in gently. Lastly add milk and mashed bananas. Pour into greased and lined 20cm ring tin and bake 30 - 40 mins @ 180C or until cooked. Ice as desired if wanted. Keeps well. if I remember to hide it. Wink
posted by jaybee2003

The following recipe is for a loaf but is so cake-like that it could be iced & served as a cake – it’s also good if cut into serving-sized portions, placed in dessert bowls, topped with either vanilla or chocolate custard & then warmed through in the microwave & served as a dessert. It freezes really well too. BANANA LOAF. 115g butter, 1 cup sugar, 1-2 beaten eggs (I always use 2), 1&1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) milk, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 mashed bananas. Cream the butter & sugar, add the eggs & mix well. Add the flour & baking powder, & mix very briefly. Bring the milk just to the boil (easiest done in a coffee mug in the microwave), then add in & stir the baking soda to dissolve it. Add the frothy mixture to the loaf mixture & stir it in. Lastly stir in the bananas. Put the mixture into a greased and base baking-paper lined loaf tin. Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
posted by 245sam" :-))

245sam, Jun 20, 3:06am
continued from #8.

"Sour Cream Banana Cake with Baked Sour Cream Topping
125g unsalted butter, chopped, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¾ cup caster sugar, 2 eggs, 3 large bananas, mashed, 150ml thick sour cream, 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted, ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, sifted, 1 teaspoon allspice, sifted, Topping:450ml thick sour cream, 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm round springform tin with melted butter and line the base and sides (must rise at least 5cm above the rim of the tin) with baking paper. Cream butter and vanilla until pale. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add bananas, sour cream, sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until tested clean. Remove from oven and spoon the topping evenly onto the cake, return to the oven for 10 minutes. Turn off oven, leave door ajar and leave cake inside for another 20 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let cool completely in tin before turning out. To make Topping: Stir the sour cream, sugar and vanilla until just combined.
posted by seadragon" :-))

dunit7, Jun 20, 3:19am
Wow that's quite a lot of recipes! Thank you :-)

sarahb5, Jun 21, 6:44am
Annabel Langbein's is the best I've made

http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/banana-cake/255/

badams1, Jun 21, 6:53am
Sorry cant help, I eat the bananas before I get to make one. shhh.

paora-tm, Jun 21, 7:02am
Sideways?

carter19, Jun 22, 6:06am
An elderly neighbour of mine was the best baker alive. She told me that when i had creamed the butter and sugar , do it for another 5 minutes! I have always done this and my cakes are as light as air.

harrislucinda, Jun 22, 6:51am
yes butter and sugar should be beaten until sugar dissolved and light and fluffy before other ingred added

wendalls, Jun 22, 10:51am
I think that the cooking time is important too. Check with a bamboo skewer 5 mins before the earliest time when baking a new recipe , using silicon bakeware or when using a new oven as they may differ. Just cooked is so much nicer than well done and dry! Sorry if I am stating the obvious .

nz_nicola, Jun 26, 2:02am
From post 7 I made the top, best banana cake recipe on the weekend, and everyone loves it,

scannell2, Jun 28, 7:38am
I can vouch for the best banana cake recipe ever recipe as per above its a never fail recipe and me and my mum have been using it for years

lynja, Jun 28, 7:50am
Annabel Langbeins recipe is the best one I have ever made. It makes two ring tin cakes. I ice with lemon icing and freeze one cake, It is just as wonderful after it has been frozen.

herself, Jun 30, 12:46am
Thanks korban, I made this yesterday and it is delicious, and oh so easy.

bev00, Oct 19, 10:32am
Here is a recipe l got off here and it makes a big roasting dish size cake and l throw as many bananas as l have lying around and it is a great recipe
l gave this recipe to a friend who works in a rest home and they love it

Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar,
200g butter,
3 cups self raising flour,
2 eggs,
2 tsp baking soda,
1 cup boiling water,
1 cup plain yogurt,
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence,
2 mashed bananas,
½ cup cocoa,
¼ tsp salt.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it.
Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go.
It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins. In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.

griffo4 (230 230 positive feedback) 10:13 am, Fri 18 Oct #5

mooshiesmum, Oct 20, 9:10am
Can I add my Grandmas one here - it is my favourite :-)

http://justamumnz.com/2014/03/09/grandmas-recipe-banana-cake/

rainrain1, Oct 21, 5:21am
I made this today, got a good size 8 inch cake, plus a loaf tin cake, from the recipe, it's tastes really good too. I am freezing the large one iced, once frozen I will wrap it in glad warp and then tin foil to seal

bev00, Dec 23, 10:08am
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe

This peanut butter chocolate chip bread is always a favourite, either for a special breakfast on Easter morning or a side dish brought to a fancy brunch. It is a very flexible recipe.

Ingredients

cooking spray
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup unsweetened crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

Whisk whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

Stir mashed bananas, peanut butter, brown sugar, yogurt, egg, and canola oil thoroughly in a separate bowl.

Stir the banana mixture into the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined; stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Bake in the preheated oven until the loaf is lightly browned at the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.

Cool the bread in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes before removing bread to finish cooling on rack. Slice when cool.

lindylambchops1 (39 39 positive feedback) 3:19 pm, Tue 30 Apr #7

beerlady wrote:
Easy,always perfect banana cake. in a pot melt 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/4 cups of sugar, (don't worry about creaming it), add 2 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1/4 cup of milk or sour cream and beat well. Add 3 or 4 mashed bananas, 1 1/2 cups of flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder. Mix and pour into cake tin and bake around 375 deg for 45 minutes. I make one every day and it never fails.

I just made that this evening thankyou

deansstand (4 4 positive feedback) 7:56 pm, Mon 27 May #12
This cake is easy and tastes fab with a maple syrup icing.
2.5 C SR flour, 1 t baking soda, 3/4 C castor sugar,4 eggs,2.5 C mashed banana, 1 C oil

Sift flour and soda, stir in sugar, eggs, banana and oil. Mix into batter (gently). Bake 160C (20cm tin) for 1.5 hours. Simple. yummy.
I bake mine in a larger tin and it takes less time to cook.

jaybee321 (206 206 positive feedback) 8:41 pm, Mon 27 May #13

Easy,always perfect banana cake. in a pot melt 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/4 cups of sugar, (don't worry about creaming it), add 2 beaten eggs, 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1/4 cup of milk or sour cream and beat well. Add 3 or 4 mashed bananas, 1 1/2 cups of flour with 2 teaspoons baking powder. Mix and pour into cake tin and bake around 375 deg for 45 minutes. I make one every day and it never fails.

melford (243 243 positive feedback) 1:05 pm, Wed 16 Oct #14

bev00, Mar 9, 12:06am
keeping alive.