Shoulder chops with round bone in them

Page 1 / 2
pericles, Nov 1, 9:52pm
I don't eat meat, but son is a butcher and eats just about only meat.
What is a good way to cook these pls.
They have a round bone in them. and the last time I cooked them, he said they were tough

beaker59, Nov 1, 10:04pm
I love them, lay them in a baking tray, layer with chopped onion, a slice of tomato on each then thickly sprinkle with spiced and herby seasoned breadcrumbs bake for an hour at 170 fanbake.

pericles, Nov 1, 10:05pm
I did bake the last lot.
Still tough

beaker59, Nov 1, 10:33pm
The crust is needed to keep them moist so you can cook them longer I do it regularly and find them reasonably tender.

fifie, Nov 1, 10:34pm
My version, lamb shoulder chops oil season s/p bake in a 140c oven covered with tin foil about 50 mins, remove foil turn oven up a bit when browning up turn do other side and rest. Hogget or mutton shoulder chops sprinkle s/p into crockpot on a bed onion chunks, drizzle some of my syrupy mint sauce over them and slow cook on low. When done remove puree onion into juice with stick blender make gravy. Depends how thick they are as to how long to cook.

rainrain1, Nov 1, 10:51pm
Irish Stew them

pericles, Nov 1, 10:59pm
my thoughts exactly rainrain

uli, Nov 1, 11:04pm
Ask him - if he just about "only eats meat" he would know the best way to cook them. Why worry about it?
Personally I would throw them in the crockpot and cook the hell out of those tough bits.

korbo, Nov 1, 11:05pm
always find these chops are tough, so tend to casserole them, or cook real slowly.

pericles, Nov 1, 11:05pm
son cook?
never.
He entered butcher of the year many yrs ago, and Mum did all the cooking for him

uli, Nov 1, 11:21pm
Ah well (pun intended) tough then!

pericles, Nov 1, 11:36pm
in the crockpot they are

lythande1, Nov 2, 1:33am
Casseroles. your son would have been able to tell you that.

uli, Nov 3, 2:09am
Did HE approve?

huggy5, Nov 3, 6:10am
I love those chops, I don't find them tough and I quick fry or bbq them. I marinade in oil, soy, honey (or maple syrup) garlic and rosemary first.
I like all meat rare though so I just try to crisp up the fat, not so much cook them through.

grannypam, Nov 3, 6:23am
I thought the ones with the round bone in them were neck chops. always casseroled or slow cooker here.

awoftam, Nov 3, 6:29am
Yes. Shoulder chops don't have a round bone lol. can do amazing things with these beauties.

huggy5, Nov 3, 7:01am
Oh, I'm not thinking of neck chops (so ignore my answer if those are the chops you're referring to!).
I was thinking the shoulder chops, with a little round bone in them. Like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/ofapdjv

punkinthefirst, Nov 3, 10:04am
Cook them either super-quickly and just pink or super-slowly and looooooooong, as in a casserole or braise. My pick would be long and slow and with garlic, and aromatic vegetables like carrots and onions. They're one of those things that you can put in the oven and leave, so long as they don't dry out.

247sam, Nov 6, 9:34pm
Sound like leg chops. Flour them then dip in egg and breadcrumbs and cook on baking paper in the oven at about 200o for approx 30 minutes until crumbs are crunchie. These come out so tender and moist.

joybells2, Nov 6, 9:52pm
I would only casserole them, they would be tough otherwise.

rai5, Nov 7, 7:03am
Lay them in a baking or casserole dish. Sprinkle top and dish with a pkt or part pkt of maggi vege soup depending on how many chops. I use 1/2 if just hubby and I or full pkt if we have visitors. Pour some water in so it comes about halfway up the side of chop. Cover dish with tin foil and bake in oven 275 for about 45 minutes. Tender every time and compliments to the cook. Yum. Done them this way for years and never had tough ones. Very well received.

smallwoods, Dec 21, 1:25am
Back legs if the bone is more central.

mouse265, Dec 21, 9:01am
some shoulder chops have roumd bones in them unless they have changed their shape over the weekend and I am a butcher with 37 years experience

doree36, Dec 21, 8:29pm
love these chops - I do them in a casserole (don't like slow cookers) with packet of brown onion gravy mix, some mince sauce and honey - always lovely and tender.